Author Topic: Look what I found!  (Read 3297 times)

Offline John Hartman

Re: Look what I found!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 03:21:34 pm »
green urine of some sort  ;)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »
Brett I have a water to air setup that Phil made for his colt, I was going to modify it to fit one of my cars but I don't really need it anymore. If you're interested i'm not very attached to it as its currently just taking up space. Maybe we can work something out the next time my car needs something stupid I don't want to do like a rear suspension bushing ;)
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 10:08:53 pm »
ohhh sounds like a good idea remi!

I would be definalty interested in a water/air setup instead of installing a fmic setup.

let me know when i can pick it up

Oh how big is it in demensions? it comes with a electric water pump? and external rad and fan?
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 10:22:15 pm »
ohhh sounds like a good idea remi!

I would be definalty interested in a water/air setup instead of installing a fmic setup.

let me know when i can pick it up

Oh how big is it in demensions? it comes with a electric water pump? and external rad and fan?

Yep, even every last fitting and hose, last I looked.
the (Cobra) Water pump is bracketed to fit onto the colt crossmember.
Even has the pigtail.

I would much rather see it used than let it sit there.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Cole Chalmers

• DERP!DERP!DERP!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 09:01:19 pm »
So is this going to be the daughters first car? ;)

Sick find! That'll be a fun little car haha

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »
Hahah lol by the time im done with it, it will be too fast for my daughters first car... and FAR FAR too ugly for her to want it lol.

I plan on keeping this 1.6L in there as long as possible.. and when it blows up... ANOTHER 1.6L will go in to replace it. People have put down 350 - 400 WHP on the stock 1.6L block.  It also can rev higher then a 4g63 as the stroke is less on the 4g61.  They also come stock with a EPROM Ecu ;) ;) 

I love the underdog feeling of having a 1.6L and beating the shit out of ppl with it.  Would be cheating to sneek a 2.0L under the hood ;)

Anyways i got the water pump and timing belt replaced now... car is running great.  Got a boost gauge on the car today and its running a constant 9-10 psi.  Also got it on the datalogger and found there to be some knock issues in 2nd and 3rd gear.  Hopefully some fresh gas (stuff in there is old 87 octane) and setting the base timing will help with the knock.

Oh also put in a new set of NGK blue spark plug wires and NGK BPR6ES plugs (stock).  Didn't change how it ran but oh well, the old plugs and wires has definatly seen better days.

Cant wait to get this car on the road full time and give her some more TLC.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:22:42 pm by Brett Haviland »

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 10:15:17 pm »
some -7 plugs would have helped, and I can't see that as cheating at all.  Hell even SCCA national autox rules let you change 1 heat range on plugs.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 10:34:17 pm »
You really think that putting in some -7 range plugs will help the knock?... even at only stock boost (10psi).  I thought that you on;y put in the colder heat range plugs if you are running more then stock boost/mods.

I have a spare set of NGK race plugs that i got out of my evo (-8 range).  Maybe i will swap those in and see if it makes a difference from the stock BPR6ES plugs.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 09:57:45 am »
You really think that putting in some -7 range plugs will help the knock?... even at only stock boost (10psi).  I thought that you on;y put in the colder heat range plugs if you are running more then stock boost/mods.

I have a spare set of NGK race plugs that i got out of my evo (-8 range).  Maybe i will swap those in and see if it makes a difference from the stock BPR6ES plugs.

Its the bad gas man.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:17 am »
Yea I agree I have had bad gas, sputtering around, random missfires, not to mention the smelly exaust. ;D

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 04:42:56 pm »
for sure old low octane fuel is a definate deciding factor.  But one heat range colder plugs will always help detonation.  Its even suggested on n/a higher compression engines that have a monitored knock sensor.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 01:01:02 am »
UPDATE:

Car is running awesome.  Currenty is my DD.  Getting good gas mileage.  Not quite as good as my old 4G 1.5L summit but close.  I am seeing around 110 km's per 10 liters fuel which is pretty decent i think!  This is me driving it pretty agressivly and doing lots of WOT datalogging pulls as well.

New gas is in and its running a lot better.  Set the base timing and the car runs fine.  Still seeing a bit of knock in WOT below 4000 RPM but above 4000 RPM there is no knock at all.  I can do a race senario and get no knock at all.. but if i go WOT below 4000 RPM i will get 10-15 counts of knock and i can feel the timing being backed down.  The next thing i will try is a new knock sensor.  I have a few spares lying around

Next on the list for fixing it up is.

1) Clean/vaccum/detail/shampoo inteior and exterior
2) Do the same with the enginebay
3) Fabricate and install 2.5" or 3" exhuast
4) install some sort of intercooler that does NOT require cutting of sheetmetal.
5) Swap out sloppy 3G colt Shifter assembly (interior one) for a 4G colt assembly with a MUCH tigher throw
6)Drive car lot, Boost lots.

Offline Don Woltjer

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 07:57:24 am »
lol yup,  just near where the pics were taken is where i reside.  I love it out here!

I am actually going to be working there again this summer. i love it there too. i was actually thinking of moving out there with the family. was just up at the park office two days ago and driving around residential. lol
1990 Eagle Talon AWD Tsi

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 11:39:32 am »
I lived at Cultus as a kid/teenager.  Its a really nice place to live, but very expensive now if you want more than a summer cabin.

Also in the summer its a ZOO!!  Hard to just go about normal life.

Brett, you running 91 or 94?  if 91 I suggest a couple of tanks of 94.

I also suggest you change the fuel filter.  On that old car its probably pretty old.

I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it too, one that you can run out the hood and put the gauge under the wiper blade so you can see that its rizing 1psi per psi and HOLDING it as well.

I would also do at least 2 really good MCCC treatments, and do a good long water mist(at least 1 liter each time) after the MCCC.  Being how you told me that the guy never drove it past 3500 and never got boost built up, its GOT to be carboned up to the max.

1 heat range colder plugs too.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 12:33:28 pm »
Yeah I really enjoy the lifestyle up here in cultus.  Its awesome.  Housing is pretty exspensive up here.. would never be able to afford buying a house at this point in cultus.  Right now my family is renting a house right near the beach.  Its $1000 a month! Not horrible, but sure is a lot of money to throw away!!  Gotta get that downpayment saved up ASAP!  But its not so bad here in the summer.  Lots of hotties running around in bikini's for me to look at :)

ANyways back to the Colt GT

I will definalty try some BPR7ES plugs ASAP.

Also.  I know what it is... but what does MCCC stand for john?  Mitsubishi Combustion Chamber Cleaning? Monthly Combustion Chamber Cleaning?? lol hahah  

We have the BG tool at work that you pour the intake system cleaner into the hopper and it uses compressed air and sprayes atomized cleaner into the throttle body while the car is running... IS that what you mean "MCCC" lol

And then i assume after that you just take 1L bottle of water and let it into the intake manifold through a vaccum line and let it run through the engine to clean it out real good?  Ill definalty try this.  My boss has also used windshield washer fluid instead of water.  I dont know if that is better or not tho.

Some people suggested using seafoam?  anyone had good results with this stuff?

If i do all this and its still knocking im replacing the knock sensor.. if that still doesn't fix it im grounding the knock sensor out to the firewall and turning the boost up to 16 psi.  haha  that should fix it good.