Author Topic: Look what I found!  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Look what I found!
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:02:32 am »
I always wanted a original 89 GT as a project, so i jumped at the one i found recently on craigslist.  It has a few clicks, but its VERY well taken care of car.  Needs a new waterpump,tuneup, and a good cleaning.  Bought it off the Original and only owner from 1989.  Car has almost 340 000 km's on the ORIGINAL 1.6L DOHC engine (still going strong), tranny is also alloriginal and has only had the clutch replaced before.  The turbo was also rebuilt around 1998.  He had it garage stored most of the time so wear and tear on the exterior is minimal besides a tiny bit of rust on the rear wheel well and some trim pieces that need some minor attention.  The water pump is leaking slowly, but i had no problem whatsoever driving it home.  

I guess i have a new project now!!..  As if i dont have enough lol.

PICS (sorry, they suck)

This seat pattern MUST have been cool in 1988 i guess lol.

Im thinking 14b turbo, 3" exhuast, walbro, fuel pump, talon ecu/mas/injectors/throttlebody/dsm smic or cheap fmic as the first mods to this beast.  

I want to keep it looking as original as possible tho, and not cut the car up, as it will soon be up for collector car status (25 years),   I will be for sure keeping the little 1.6L in there as long as possible.  No 2.0L going in anytime soon.  Currently the car is 100% stock, even has the original tape deck.  The interior is also in really good shape for the year, with no tears in the seat and all the dash/interior is complete and in good shape.  it should clean up real nicely.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:47:59 am by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Rob Armstrong

Re: Look what I found!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 12:34:42 am »
Nice car, good find. buy my smic $20 ;)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:35:46 am »
hahah buy your smic,  i have like 4 or 5 of them lying around...

all the parts for the upgrades i already have!  Should take no time at all to get her rippin good.

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 01:31:31 am »
maybe you could plumb up 3 of them to make a custom FMIC ;)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:33:27 am »
lol ill bust out my tig welder i guess, yeah right.

The DSM SMIC required some cutting of the rad support and metalwork and you have to cut a hole in the side of the bumper to allow airflow.

I dont feel like mangling the OEM bodywork and bumper on this colt.  I leave that for my frankenstien purple colt.

FMIC might be my best choice.... im thinking a smaller intercooler that wont require major cutting to fit.

I gotta figure something out cuz with no intercooler on there at all right now... will just NOT cut it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:35:38 am by Brett Haviland »

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 03:45:17 am »
if you start hacking the metalwork on it doesn't that make it difficult to qualify for collector plates?
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Corey Cook

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 07:34:29 am »
is that the one that was listed for $1250 and some reference to what they could get from scrap it?

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 09:21:47 am »
is that the one that was listed for $1250 and some reference to what they could get from scrap it?

thats the one!

Got to it before anyone else could ;)

Its only every few years i find one of these cars up for sale, so once i found out it WAS one of the originals i was all over it.  (one of the original 1500 ever made 89 Colt/Mirage GT)

And the guy was pretty firm on his price.  It was a decent price tho for a good shape car, with minimal problems.  He didn't really know much about its rareness factor tho, which helped.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:27:41 am by Brett Haviland »

patrickWoo

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:11:12 am »
that seat pattern is still popular today. Look at Golfs.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 04:04:15 pm »
Brett, your list looks good, but I would say a 2.5" exhaust would suffice.  And look closer to stock and be cheaper too.

I would also say that a 13g(not b) turbo would be a hoot and spool well. But a good old 14b well ported would be nice too.  And easier to find.

PS his car is soooo excited to have a new owner(and to meet me apparently) that it piddles like a puppy...
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Cole MacDonald

• Cardomain
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 04:30:44 pm »
Buy my 13g!! Nice looking car by the way. I miss ripping around in the silver monster.
1990 FWD Laser 240 FWHP
1993 AWD Laser, 2.4L GT35r powered 562 AWHP
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
2012 Skidoo Summit X 800 E Tec 164HP

Offline Corey Cook

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 09:51:21 pm »
hmm, ive got one of those gauge pods around somewhere. 

looks like a clean car.  I was actually thinking going to look at it but ive had enough colts.

Offline Don Woltjer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 12:25:38 pm »
OMG thats Cultus lake, used to be a park narc there, lol
1990 Eagle Talon AWD Tsi

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 01:37:32 pm »
lol yup,  just near where the pics were taken is where i reside.  I love it out here!

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 02:39:12 pm »
Brett, your list looks good, but I would say a 2.5" exhaust would suffice.  And look closer to stock and be cheaper too.

I would also say that a 13g(not b) turbo would be a hoot and spool well. But a good old 14b well ported would be nice too.  And easier to find.

PS his car is soooo excited to have a new owner(and to meet me apparently) that it piddles like a puppy...

Hahah fuel or coolant leak?

Also brett I really like the two shots in the woods, some amazing light on that first one.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.