Author Topic: HACK JOB!! If you love DSM's but have a weak heart...  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Rob Armstrong

Re: HACK JOB!! If you love DSM's but have a weak heart...
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 06:42:37 pm »
I would love to see some pictures of the stream crossings in progress.  do you cross carefully or at speed?
I would assume since there racing and hes doing hack job mods... he doesnt care about hurting his car. Crossing a stream slowly and going slow around blind corners won't put you on the podium. Balls to the wall. Keep the shiney side up.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 07:25:00 pm »
I'm with Rob on this.

Plus its cold air out there for sure!!

Just block up the hood with duct tape each time you close it.  Keeps ANY hot air out.  Cold air thru the intercooler ftmfw brotha!!

I have actually thought of that, but in a much more elegant setup.  SHORT piping leads to way less lag. 
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 08:34:57 pm »
I still have that water to air setup I bought from Phil sitting around. I really should play with that one day. Essentially the same piping route you have there but without the sawzall lightening mod.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Corey Cook

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 09:29:38 pm »
I would love to see some pictures of the stream crossings in progress.  do you cross carefully or at speed?
I would assume since there racing and hes doing hack job mods... he doesnt care about hurting his car. Crossing a stream slowly and going slow around blind corners won't put you on the podium. Balls to the wall. Keep the shiney side up.

hehe, good point.  I was just thinking maybe some streams he knows he has to slow down for.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 10:10:10 am »
yeah i agree.  water/air intercooler seems like your best best.

Take a tip from the toyota celica Gt4!!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ken Hawkins

• Al yr DSM R belong to me!
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 10:51:34 am »

hehe, good point.  I was just thinking maybe some streams he knows he has to slow down for.

The worst streams are on my weekly Bamfield commute. Those I have to take slow as they are usually wash-outs, and you don't know what's hidden, as opposed to a regular ford of a road through a stream. In the RallyX, there are often water traps that we take a full steam, and risk sucking up a cylinder full of slop. I had literally knocked mud out of the air filter a couple of times at RallyX. :o

When I found water on my intake (earlier post), it was all the way into the turbo, so I decided to pull the whole she-bang & fix my exhaust leaks as well; luckily the local LordCo has the complete exhaust/turbo gasket kit (on the SHELF!! In Port Alberni!!- Take THAT Canadian Tire, NAPA, and other, lesser, retailers!). ;D

WIWIT, I replaced the turbo with a stock, but ported unit I had from my other Talon, and all the over-size plumbing that went with it, including a nice HKS elbow. Now has WAAAYYY more kick-in-the-butt after 4krpms.

I had to re-use the stock I/C in its stock location for now, but I am still determined to get it hood-mounted.

FYI the battery has also been re-located to former back-seat, so that space is wide-open for tinkering.

regards
Ken

1a TSi AWD RallyX champeeeen
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project
"I once gave a rat's ass; nobody cared. Except the rat"

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »
with the batt in the rear seat, do you still need a cut off switch? I know trunk you need it for almost all events. Im guessing its the same but I figgerd Id toss it out there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 08:56:59 am »
with the batt in the rear seat, do you still need a cut off switch? I know trunk you need it for almost all events. I'm guessing its the same but I figgerd Id toss it out there.

DUH-OH!

I should have remembered that from my roundy-round days :o What we used to do there was a main cable solenoid rather than mechanical switch; you had to activate a separate switch to power the main start cable.
However, I wasn't totally living on the edge; the main cable is triple insulated where it goes through the firewall- that's one I learned from my demolition-derby days.

The local RallyX group has not specified a cut-off, but did require the battery box be secured and the battery separately secured within the box. (Both directly secured to chassis)

JohnH: This is a DSM...if I block it with duct tape every time I close the hood, I will go through a roll a day :D

regards
Ken
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 06:01:06 pm »
meh, tapes cheap, buy it by the flat  :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

patrickWoo

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 11:20:46 am »
Looks like those muscle cars' rumbler hood, quite awesome.  ;D

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 03:45:46 pm »
that's one I learned from my demolition-derby days.

Rally Racing, Demolition Derby, wtf

Man after my own heart, i'd love to have a cheap rally car and go beat on it.

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 05:30:38 pm »
If you ever decide to do demoderby yourself - I HIGHLY recommend a HANS device....way cheaper than the thou$and$ I have spent on chiro rehab.

Still, DD is a GREAT way of removing all the GM, Chyrco, & Ford crapware from the roads... ;D

Regards
Ken
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project

Offline Andrew Brown

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 10:57:49 pm »
im thinking about doing something like this too, but with some kinda hood scoup that matches the cam buldge on the other side.
1992 GTO Twin Turbo (sold)
1990 broke ass talon (parted out)
1976 caged corolla

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 12:13:14 pm »
im thinking about doing something like this too, but with some kinda hood scoup that matches the cam buldge on the other side.

I plan on adding SOME kind of cover. Thinking along the lines of the twin scoops (1 for cam bulge) that used to see on '70s Darts & Demons.

Also thought of trying a "shaker" style that stays down when you lift the hood.....

K
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 07:43:13 pm »
shaker is the bomb.  I have actually though of that.