Author Topic: We like corners! (Road Racing thread, split from other topic)  (Read 11396 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: OCT. 9 Fri nite Mopac Performance Street Legal #21
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 07:49:14 pm »
okay, it is done!

BCDSM Racing

We NEED SPONSERS!! LOL
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 07:54:07 pm »
okay, it is done!

BCDSM Racing

We NEED SPONSERS!! LOL

RG.....?
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 07:57:47 pm »
who knows!! we can try!

I figure we NEED to do drivers training... and then we need to get our cars SCCA road racing legal (Cage, good brakes, lightweight, Good suspension and tires. Decent HP or Power/Weight as well.  THEN we can worry about things like sponserships etc.

Would be cool to get a BCDSM racing division for sure!! Im excited!

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 09:16:44 pm »
who knows!! we can try!

I figure we NEED to do drivers training... and then we need to get our cars SCCA road racing legal (Cage, good brakes, lightweight, Good suspension and tires. Decent HP or Power/Weight as well.  THEN we can worry about things like sponserships etc.

Would be cool to get a BCDSM racing division for sure!! Im excited!

A road racing team would be sooooo cool. We could compete against all other cars. My friend actively races his SR swapped 240 and he has a blast. I told him i'd be comin after him soon hehe.

Well this winter, I plan to have my cage and brakes done. In the spring, I really really hope I can get my suspension, wheels and tires done. I am leaving my motor stock for now because I simply can't afford it all at once, and don't have the time. My engine has really good compression and pulls strong, although it smokes like mad. When I insure her I plan to do a leak down test to determine the problem. If it's the valve stem seals i'll do those right away....but if it's the head gasket (I can't tell if i'm losing coolant because I haven't driven the car - except around the neighbourhood) I will be upgrading the top end. I really hope it's the valve stems...

I'm not really interested in drag racing.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 11:23:27 am »
This thread has gone so far off the rails...

anyway John, Brett. I'm realy quite serious about doing this. My M3 driving friend has even offered to stick a magnetic mitsu logo on his beamer so he can join us.

Here is the 2009 schedule:

http://www.sccbc.net/sched.htm

Here is the site for all the other info on how to signup/etc.
http://www.sccbc.net/

We need to do this. March 28+29. I expect us all to be there so we can help each other out.

John, maybe make a sticky?
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 05:08:54 pm »
Start a new topic Remi and I will.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: We like corners! (Road Racing thread, split from other topic)
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 07:52:04 pm »
shhhhbaammmm

alright im stolked.

I have to get my new DSM driveline installed and a a full cage installed in my colt this winter!!  GOtta find timeeee... baby coming.... shittt..

Offline Andrew Brown

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 09:04:26 am »
last year me and my buddys almost got into iceracing, even had a car lined up. 85 subaru hatchback with a 13b. but we ran out of time. we're thinking about it again this year, and this time we have a truck that can pull a car. check out http://carsonice.ca/

1992 GTO Twin Turbo (sold)
1990 broke ass talon (parted out)
1976 caged corolla

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 02:06:30 pm »
85 subaru hatchback with a 13b.

that sounds like a cool swap!!

AWD??

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 06:15:05 pm »
I finally got my mint rear bumper.

I can finally insure my car now....but not until the spring time.

I think i'm gonna do a couple of time trials with the car completly stock.

Offline Andrew Brown

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 11:17:28 am »
85 subaru hatchback with a 13b.

that sounds like a cool swap!!

AWD??

it was 4wd, with high and low speed. and if you take it out of 4wd its fwd, or you could take out 1 front axle and it would be rwd. or you could even find the older subaru tranny that was full time awd, and had a center diff lock.
1992 GTO Twin Turbo (sold)
1990 broke ass talon (parted out)
1976 caged corolla

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 05:11:45 pm »
Ryan Hobbs and I have talked this over to death regarding his previous car and my current DSM.  Realistically a DSM is not a good choice for *budget* road racing. 

Upsides:
- a TON of power (if your name is Lowell) and you can put it down
- rare (in road racing)

Downsides
- weight
- high C of G
- AWD (weight, driveline reliability, and a disadvantage in handling dynamics)
- can't tuck tires wide enough without body work  (then you get a horrible scrub radius and EVEN more wheel bearing issues)
- brakes and brake cooling are not easy to sort out
- classification (Read the rule book and tell me what class you are going to run in.  How do you like those Turbo Porsches?  No, how about those tube frame cars?  I haven't read it in a couple of years, so we could be in an easier class now but I highly doubt it.  They don't take kindly to turbo AWD cars.)

Now it can be done.  There is a FWD convertible time attack 2G that does very well but this guy has put serious time and effort into the car.  What could be done with a FWD Honda, Miata (yeah I know), Mustang or F-body for the same dollar?

I really considered stripping my Colt and dropping my DSM drivetrain in, and doing it with that, but then you have a Mc Crap strut setup, even less ability to tuck some tires, a taller and narrower chassis.  It's probably still better than the DSM, but far from ideal.

With all that negativity aside, I think it is quite possible to make a DSM competitive, but I think the real challenge will be maintainability, ease and cheapness of repair while used on track.    This is where the competition really wins as there are ton a of road race parts made for Miatas, F-Bodies, and Mustangs.   These parts are all basically custom items if you are going to campaign a DSM.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 08:50:17 pm »
... and? Who cares.

It's fun, and this isn't "BC best possible road race platform" it's bcdsm.
Plus all your points have a balance on the other side of them and come down to subjective analysis.

and you posted this in a thread *dedicated* to road racing, which is frankly a bit of a slap in the face.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:01:32 pm by remi raymond »
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 09:09:50 pm »
I have to dissagree about the DSM/Colt being a bad choice for a budget racer.... i think its a awesome choice, essepcially if you have the mechanical ability and spare parts

i have like more spare dsm parts then you could shake a stick at (trannys/tcases/axels/engines)...and could easily be swapping these parts in/out within hours if a failure did occure... and if we have a few guys that are into it im sure extra help would be availible, plus DSM parts are all over the place.  Big brake setups... and full coilover adjustable setups is very possible and theres lots of setups availible for decently cheap. 

I agree that a awd setup would require more matenience and break down more often... but it would be worth it when trying to put 350 - 450 WHP down to the ground.  On a fwd there would be traction issues for sure with 400 WHP when going around the twisties.

As far as my colt goes..  It has a full independant suspension setup (unlike the 3G colt hatches) and has a lower center of gravity... is only 2150 lbs with the 4g63 swap i have installed in it...  I think a LSD and some good slicks with a good suspension setup and good brakes and about 300-350 WHP whp would be very competitive with the turbo porches etc....  Buy removing the interior/dash and taking out all the unnessary wieght the car could EASILY be 2000 lbs or under.    Its all about power to weight.  THe less weight... the faster the car will go... less weight will also improve the braking and handling of the car as well.

The most exspensive and time consuming part of building the race car is the roll cage.  Good luck with that part!! 

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 03:39:15 am »
I also disagree. You're comparing a basically track ready car (Porsche) to a DSM. DSMS compare to 240's, Celica gt4s, and some Skylines, which are all basically on the same level stockwise. When you modify these cars is when you can compare them to Porsches, Supras, NSXs etc. I just love how the 1g dsm handles stockwise and im definite that theyd be top contendors with the right weight reduction, balancing, tires, brakes, driveline, and suspension.