Author Topic: OCT. 9 Fri nite Mopac Performance Street Legal #21  (Read 16312 times)

Offline John Hartman

Re: OCT. 9 Fri nite Mopac Performance Street Legal #21
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2009, 10:13:46 pm »
not so much pissed off, but when you tell people how to drive and haven't done so yourself, especially with a tone that suggests condescension, it will bring out something in most people who read it.

I can't really see how its can be taken as humour.  And, considering that your posts have had to be censored or even deleted completely in the past for things that you say were meant in a humourous way, it would stand to reason that people might take it not in the way intended by you.

Hell, even your post about how its easier to launch an awd car than a fwd car shows that you have never done it for real at a track with the pressures associated with the experience.  Yes an awd car can be made to have great 60' times, but it is not a no brainer and is not easy to master.  You can't do a burnout, so if you are running R comps or slicks, you cannot warm them up.  You have to balance your clutches life with a bog or tire spin.  You have extra driveline windup.  You have extra weight to deal with.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2009, 11:13:56 pm »

Hell, even your post about how its easier to launch an awd car than a fwd car shows that you have never done it for real at a track with the pressures associated with the experience.

can either matt fredrikson or brett haviland help me out here. the fact you made that comment actually made me laugh out loud. those are the only two members who know me on this forum. they know me from another club/forum and i have been friends with them for a number of years, and they have both seen me take a "number" of passes down the track.

besides the point i hurt your ego in a certian way, and i am sorry. i will always be a noob until i get some time slips with my dsm. so until i can live up to your expectations..........cheers. oh and the post you deleted, and the sig i sensored no questions asked. all in good fun. i said so.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 09:48:55 am »
Glen, shut the fuck up.  We all know your still a body kit cladding, undercar neons with a ebay turbo kit D16 honda civic ricer with a big blow off valve and fancy rimz ricer boy.

You cant handle the truth!!!

But I can vouch for glen being into cars for years and years... maybe even longer then i have been.  He also has been at the track (ashcroft) a ton... so he knows his way around the track.   Time to get that DSM out to the track and see how you can do launching it against a Fast Light.  Its a lot harder to launch my awd mitsu;s that i have had then my Colt.  With My FWD colt i could like hold it at 5500-6000RPM and pretty much just drop the clutch and it would pull off 2.0" 60 foots.  My old talon and my evo definalty take a bit more practice and skill to launch in a race situation like the lights you would see in mission.  The lights at Mission raceway are definalty a lot harder and faster then the ones they drop in ashcroft.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2009, 01:09:23 pm »
Glen, shut the fuck up.  We all know your still a body kit cladding, undercar neons with a ebay turbo kit D16 honda civic ricer with a big blow off valve and fancy rimz ricer boy.

i am assuming that was a joke. cause the car was turbo charged and in a magazine before the body kit was ever installed. only thing ever bought off ebay was the manifold which now is hardly a sliver of what it used to be. the flange side was cut off, and a new flange welded on, new external wastgate flange so calling it an ebay part although true hardly applies. the intercooler actualy is also from ebay no mods done to that though. everything else was mine, or matts work. with the exception of dudley doing some welding when matt wasn't there.

i pissed off the wrong guy and i will shut up. and will apologize again. as a former admin to a car club website i should have known better than to piss of the big fish. so brett you get better 60 foot times in your colt than your evo?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:13:14 pm by GlenMartin »

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2009, 01:28:49 pm »
why wouldn't you launch at 6000 rpm? I had my studder box set at 5800 rpm and it was actually to low for me. I never broke axles or anything, maybe it was the Shep trans kepping shit together but I honestly couldn't imagine not getting some rpm going before launching. I'd slip a bit to keep the rpm up but I'd be off the clutch within 15 feet from the line and the car would squirt to the right a bit then grab and go. I found I got my best 60's that way
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »
why wouldn't you launch at 6000 rpm? I had my studder box set at 5800 rpm and it was actually to low for me. I never broke axles or anything, maybe it was the Shep trans kepping shit together but I honestly couldn't imagine not getting some rpm going before launching. I'd slip a bit to keep the rpm up but I'd be off the clutch within 15 feet from the line and the car would squirt to the right a bit then grab and go. I found I got my best 60's that way

I can launch at 6,000 rpm too if I slip the clutch.
It's just more stress on the clutch, that's all.

We're debating the fact that you shouldnt rev it up to 6 grand and drop it.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2009, 02:07:52 pm »

I can launch at 6,000 rpm too if I slip the clutch.
It's just more stress on the clutch, that's all.

We're debating the fact that you shouldnt rev it up to 6 grand and drop it.

which i did say was a joke.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2009, 01:51:40 pm »
hahahah  yes glen... i was totally kidding about my "ricer boy" comment.  ahhaha  Just us DSM boys like ot hassel those honda boys every chance we get!!  You know i like the hondas too!

And no,  my evo gets consistantly lower 60's then my colt 
1.9 60' on my evo
2.0-2.2 60's on my colt.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2009, 01:53:59 pm »
Actually as far as hondas are concerned there was not one but three 10 second civics there that night. One at least was on a sohc d16 with a nice holset turbo on it. Mind you, they were on slicks and pushing themselves in stagging so as not to overheat...
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2009, 05:19:35 pm »
hahahah  yes glen... i was totally kidding about my "ricer boy" comment.  ahhaha  Just us DSM boys like ot hassel those honda boys every chance we get!!  You know i like the hondas too!

And no,  my evo gets consistantly lower 60's then my colt 
1.9 60' on my evo
2.0-2.2 60's on my colt.

hahah ya i figured. ok so ya 1.9 with less hp. awd vs fwd. to bgring that fwd 60 foot time down with your current set up you would have to drive the shit out of it. your awd gets consistant 1.9's. all i am saying.
they were on slicks and pushing themselves in stagging so as not to overheat...

haha. anything to gain a tenth of a second. staging with those big turbo's and little rads can get things pretty hot. that is the only thing about hondas once you turbo them. its weird some engines have overheating problems and you have to buy aluminum racing rads with super fast fans to keep them cool, and then some are fine with just a stock skinny rad from a civic. hit or miss.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:23:37 pm by GlenMartin »

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2009, 09:48:53 pm »
I agree, I am getting tired of the straight line stuff.  I use to now mainly to see how much power the car is making.

And Ivan, I say lets do it in the rain  :D
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2009, 06:01:12 pm »
I say keep the hatch, and rear stock bumper. its a nose heavy beast to begin with. Lets keep the weight back there and remove from the front.

These cars can compete on any kind of motorsports arena, price for price, there is no competition.

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2009, 07:45:42 pm »
I say keep the hatch, and rear stock bumper. its a nose heavy beast to begin with. Lets keep the weight back there and remove from the front.

These cars can compete on any kind of motorsports arena, price for price, there is no competition.

I agree. I'd lighten the rear end more for drag racing. I was contemplating about removing my rear bumper (re-bar) completely for weight savings, but went against it because I need the weight in the rear to balance the overall weight in the car.

I will be removing my front bumper (re-bar) though. I don't mind because it won't be a daily driver.
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2009, 10:23:56 pm »
I would be up for it BIG TIME!!

And Brett and I can turn wrenches too  ;)

But I am wondering where people think I have overheating issues?  Not even close to it.  Car never gets hot at all.  Cucumber car.  As in, cool as a.

Ivan, classic symptoms on these cars for valve stem seals.  DOOOO IT!!

head can stay on too, just look up how, with either a rope or compressed air.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2009, 10:46:34 pm »
really?  i thought the head had to come off to be able to compress the valve springs.  even with compressed air holding them closed is it possible???