Author Topic: OCT. 9 Fri nite Mopac Performance Street Legal #21  (Read 16309 times)

Offline John Hartman

Re: OCT. 9 Fri nite Mopac Performance Street Legal #21
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2009, 05:20:28 pm »
Paul, properly setup that car will easily do 12's.  Probably 11's actually.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2009, 05:36:15 pm »
purple 2g was mine....yeah it was my first time running on the track and the damn thing's so hard to launch. 

what? hard to launch? you rev it up and drop the clutch. awd is the easiest car to launch.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2009, 05:46:16 pm »
stock yes, they are not bad.  Once you make some good power, its not. Its either spin like mad, or bog.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2009, 06:41:59 pm »
stock yes, they are not bad.  Once you make some good power, its not. Its either spin like mad, or bog.

it bogs down.....when am around 4000 rpm on 3rd gear it seems like its losing power.
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2009, 06:46:30 pm »
either knocking too badly or too rich.

You have DSMLink, but you need to tune it.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2009, 07:12:24 pm »

it bogs down.....when am around 4000 rpm on 3rd gear it seems like its losing power.

bogs when your launching? rev it to 6000 drop the clutch. its not a honda. the 4000 3rd gear thing is happening to me and pissing me off. still trying to track down source. i dont have dsm link however. one day. good luck with tuning

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2009, 09:28:40 pm »
Glen, you sure talk like you have lots and lots of track passes in your DSM.  As well, lots and lots of tuning experience.

How much of each?

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2009, 09:31:54 pm »
I hope u weren't being serious about revving to 6k and dropping it.  I would hate to be your drivetrain :o

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2009, 09:38:10 pm »
but its not a Honda so it must be all good.  All wheel drive be damned right?  With a 2wd car, yea, givver, the tires just spin.  On an awd car with adequate traction, what lets go?  Clutch?  Axle?  Driveshaft?  Differential(front, center or rear)?  Tcase?  internal bits of the tranny?

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2009, 10:17:26 pm »
Yeah... 6 k launches actually make the car slower, *if* it holds together after the second one.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2009, 10:18:13 pm »
yeah glen,  with the awd i would say 6000 RPM and dropping it hard would lead to some sort of problems for sure on a dsm.  You can get away with that with FWD where it just breaks the front tires loose...

More 4000-4500ish (or launch control - WOT)RPM and then give it a good slip of the clutch followed by applying the gas in accordance to keep from slipping the clutch too much but also not giving enough, and bogging out.

There is also a more trickier way to lanch a 5-speed dsm as well by holding the brakes on while you slip the clutch and give it gas all in one motion to build up a bit of boost before you launch and slip the clutch.  THis technique is pretty hard to master tho and takes lots of practice to get it right.  Launch controll or studder box is much easier.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2009, 11:07:44 pm »
Not condoning the 6k rpm launch method, but I have a good friend who religiously bounced the rev limiter and side-stepped his clutch on a 92 laser with 4 bolt rear. He owned the car for many a year without major failures. Just a couple clutches. The CFDF was weaksauce (and probably saved a bunch of damage) but the best combo was our fenco/dynapak stocker disc with a custom cut on the flywheel. Cheap, easy, and effective.

I certainly wouldn't try any of that when making more power though. Once the tires heat up and stick then something will break of there's too much power.
Kristopher

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2009, 07:00:22 am »
Glen, have you ever launched an AWD car before?!?!

You rev up to probably 4-5 let the clutch out a bit, the car rolls for about a foot then you go WOT and drop it.

You should never drop it from 6k and assume thats going to work fine!
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2009, 11:27:17 am »
At factory stock everything, I did 40 plus launches at PG's drag strip with about 20 of those at rev limiter.  Now I understand that torque is low at that rpm.  I also had crappy tire winter tires on. My stock clutch was feeling soft, but held up surprisingly well.  But I don't doubt for a moment that with more power something would have broke or my clutch would have melted into complete no forward motion with that abuse.  Who knows, maybe I fluked out with a well put together car from the factory and an easy life from a retired airline pilot, till me... or maybe I just dodged a bullet...
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2009, 07:55:20 pm »
but its not a Honda so it must be all good. 

i was saying that an awd car is easier to launch than a fwd car. 

Glen, you sure talk like you have lots and lots of track passes in your DSM.  As well, lots and lots of tuning experience.

How much of each?

you couldn't be more wrong i have stated many times on this very forum that i am a noob to dsms, but not the car industry. my knowledge of cars in general and dsm's is a lot more than people on this forum. your right though never had this dsm at the track, nor have i begun tuning it. i plan to one day. just got it in the summer, i had three cars at that time and never drove this one. then i had back surgery blah blah. so i cant work on the car. just because i haven't done anything on my dsm yet doesn't mean i cant.

buddy was talking about bogging problems. the rev to 6000 and dropping the clutch was more of a joke than anything. but again its not hard to figure out in a awd car. if your launching at 3000-3500, and bogging down try 4000-4500 and so on. every driver and car has its sweet spot. just got to find it.

again not many people know me here and my sense of humour. hope that changes in the future, but the people who do know me know that i am here only to supply humour and constructive critisism, and help. i obviously pissed off john so sorry john. i wont say anything about launching, tuning, or mechanical repair until i have done each of the three on my dsm.

Glen, have you ever launched an AWD car before?!?!

hahahaha of course i have. i launched matt fredriksons car many a times like that. hahahhaha. kidding.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:58:33 pm by GlenMartin »