Author Topic: My Engine Bay Transformation..UPDATE June.8th!!!  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Mike Hewitt

My Engine Bay Transformation..UPDATE June.8th!!!
« on: October 04, 2009, 05:18:27 pm »
Well this is going to be a process in itself. A lot of work, but even more fun! The finished product will make it ALL worth it! :) Going to try cleaning up the firewall a bit, remove the EGR, going to bypass FIAV. Get down to as little Vac lines as needed!

I'll start off with adding a few pics of how things are now..

This is the best "Before" pic I have minus intake,licp,and uicp. Excuse the Translator taped onto fuse box! :P

Parts are going to be shipped off to Coating\Painting this week and will update more then!

Also on a different topic I got the ELHS mod done to the car, the nut I used as a spacer was just a tad more than the 8MM thickness of the AC bracket so I added a washer to the other side, and it leveled out perfect.

Doing all this also has shown that I need a new knock sensor(shown in pic above) Going to change out starter while I'm there, as that is the original and I have such easy access to it right now.

Also Head is coming off, getting Cometic gasket, ARP head studs, and am going to see if anything else needs to be done to the head once it is off.

All opinions\suggestions welcomed!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:50:44 pm by Mike Hewitt »
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: My Engine Bay Transformation..
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 05:34:55 pm »
if your putting on a MLS cometic gasket i would recommend machining the block down as well.  Very hard to get it perfectly smooth and such with all that stock gasket stuck on there.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 05:39:50 pm »
I wasn't planning on pulling the block at all. Was planning on taking a little extra time\care with some cleaner and getting all the gasket off. Then taking a straight edge and checking it that way, and if at all seemed un-even taking it out to get machined. Going to take the head to a machine shop to get checked out though.
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 05:59:02 pm »
I would suggest a factory composite turbo head gasket unless you are actually, for real, going to be making excess of 450 honest at the wheels hp.

also, I strongly suggest you leave the EGR valve.  IT WILL NOT GIVE YOU MORE POWER TO TAKE IT OUT.  In fact, you will most likely get more knocksum, thereby loosing you power.

But I have said this before, and its your car, so do what you like.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 06:05:28 pm »
So you think just using an OEM style gasket like this would be best: http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/oem_dsm_hg.htm

I am keeping all my stuff for the EGR delete so JUST in case I do start having problems I will be able to put it back in. EGR doesn't operate at WOT correct? Which is where I would want to make sure I'm not knocking..
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 06:24:54 pm »
it DOES operate at part throttle tip in, where 90% of DSMs start to knock.  Quick throttle opening at 3000rpm, even only 25-40% will induce knock.  The EGR, by adding inert gasses into the intake charge greatly enhances the octane value of the charge, and almost always kills tip in knock dead.  

I tried it both ways, back to back, 3 different times, with different outside temps, but always following the scientific method were possible and 100% of the time it had considerably more tip in knock when the EGR was not operating.  Period.

Others have had the same result.

Water injection takes care of it too, but without it, the EGR does its job admirably.

And once the knocksum starts, it only decays slowly.  With stock code in the ECU, it not only doesn't give you full timing again once it stops knocking, it decays the knock count slowly.  Like until you lift there will be a knock count weather there is knock or not and your timing takes a dump.  It makes your car lazy feeling, slow and boring.

Oh and not "OEM style" OEM.  From the dealer, or someone like JNZ who carries factory parts.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:26:48 pm »
Also on topic of EGR delete I am planning on going water injection so that helps out in that direction.

My goal power wise is brake the 300HP mark down the road. I was assuming go with the MLS gasket, as I'm not going to need to upgrade it again at all.
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 05:02:18 pm »
See ya on the flipside! :D

~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:10:40 am »
Hey John are you suggesting that people leave the EGR in? Or is having a block off plate asking for knocksum trouble?
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:17:33 am »
No he's not suggesting

He's flat out telling haha.

It will raise tip in knock count, I have seen this myself (and felt it after removing mine, and then putting it back).

Further it doesn't even operate when you have your foot down, so it doesn't really provide a benefit to remove it anyway.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:31:59 pm »
the only benefit I can see is that not having it keeps the intake manifold cleaner.  But if your car is not burning oil, or running too rich, its not that bad anways.

Also you can do a cleaning on your intake and throttle body once in a while.

or water/meth injection keeps things nice and clean in there.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 11:11:17 pm »
But if your car is not burning oil, or running too rich, its not that bad anways.

Oh shit remi... ur in trouble!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:38:46 pm »
hah

Yeah I'm doing both.

They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 07:03:47 pm »
Maybe then I'll remove my EGR block-off plate and be GREEN!!!
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 09:27:26 pm »
probably faster too  ;)