Author Topic: My 1992 Lancer Evolution GSR *new pics, photoshoot*  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
My 1992 Lancer Evolution GSR *new pics, photoshoot*
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:51:32 pm »
Well me and my buddy who has a '92 Toyota Celica GT4 RC edition with the same rimz as me went for a photoshoot at stanley park last week.  Thought i would post up the goodies.  I was quite happy with the shots we got.  These ones i selected out of 100's of photos and i think they are the best ones.

Please note these have not been photoshoped yet at all so they may look a bit off.  I would love to have some of shots cleared up or lighting added on the night shot to illuminate the car more buit i dont have photoshop anymore.  I guess to do it properly you would need spot lighting while taking the shots.

Anyways.... the pics

This one would have been awesome with the right lighting.

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

Re: My 1992 Lancer Evolution GSR *new pics, photoshoot*
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:00:23 pm »
Looks great, for the most part!!  What is RC edition about?

As for the pics, you can do a bit to correct for that back lit situation.  Best to shoot with the main light source behind you but sometimes you cannot.

What you do is compose the shot thru the viewfinder, then aim the cameras focus crosshairs at the darker part(in this case, the car itself).  Then hold the shutter button down half way to have it focus, meter its light sensor etc.  Then keep holding it down half way, but move the crosshairs back to your original composition for the shot you'd like to present.  Do this fairly quickly. 

Then squeeze the trigger.  It will be metered for the darker area on the down-light side of the car.  This will allow detail in those areas that are now too dark or just blacked out completely.

You can loose some detail in the extremely light areas, but its a trade off.  This is one of the disadvantages of digital cameras.  They have a hard time with very bright or very dark areas, even quite pricey ones do, so you have to learn to work around it.

The 5th and 7th ones down are VERY nice, the 7th one could be in a magazine easily if that wee bit of Toyota or whatever it is in the foreground right side(grey car with factory mags) was photoshopped or cropped out.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:01:57 pm »
Great looking DSM,,, looks newer than 1992.
Its nice to see and hear a happy DSM story...
By the way,,,how are my parts coming along???
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:17:57 pm »
Thanks guys!

The "RC" edition celica is a special edition of the Celica GT4 (AWD turbo 3S-GTE).  It was never availible to the north american market.  NA just got the plain jain LHD All-track that you see every now and again.

This is the car that won the WRC championship for a couple years in a row in the early 90's.  The made the "RC" edition to celibrate it.  "RC" stand for "Rally Champion"

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:26:47 pm »
Thanks guys!

The "RC" edition celica is a special edition of the Celica GT4 (AWD turbo 3S-GTE).  It was never availible to the north american market.  NA just got the plain jain LHD All-track that you see every now and again.

This is the car that won the WRC championship for a couple years in a row in the early 90's.  The made the "RC" edition to celibrate it.  "RC" stand for "Rally Champion"

Actually it was turbo also...

But for a VERY limited run.  The All Trac was not as powerful as the RC edition though...  Anyone with a North American version of this car has a VERY super rare car even though it was equivalent to the GT-Four A.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 07:40:23 am »
Yeah i knew the USDM Gt4 all track was turbo.  has the same 3SGTE engine but it doesn't have the same water/air intercooler if im not mistaken like the RC edition has.  I think the RC has different suspension and different ECU tuning then the USDM GT4. 

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 08:15:19 am »
I think a show down on the track should be due between these two to see if the Celica can back up the RC badging.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 08:35:11 am »
Well we did a bit of back and forth on the highway when we were driving.

Let me just say that the RC is short 20HP and its heavier.  You take a guess on who got pulled on.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 08:36:34 am »
< Former Alltrac guy

The RC was the homologation car. It had the wicked air to water intercooler (hello no intercooler upgrades ever) and the homologation aero kit, namely that really nice heat extraction vent on the hood. It also had some gearbox and diff changes and a bump in power from more boost and water sprayers for the intercooler system (they were hidden and most owners aren't aware of them, not sure if they were active)

Only 5000 were made world-wide and were also sold elsewhere as the Group A or Carlos sainz versions.

And as brett says, stock for stock it is the slower car but it responds to mods just as well as our engines do and I would argue has a stronger drivetrain. Also came standard with a rear LSD

However the really cool thing was they are wired for an anti-lag missfiring system with injection into the exhaust manifold. Everything is there for that system except the ECU to activate it. That would be fun :)

Sadly toyota dropped the celica as the wrc car shortly after this car because they were kicked out for a season for cheating, then they used a one-off 4wd corolla with the 3s-gte, and then they just stopped after that.

Also god damn you Brett, every time I see your pictures it makes me want to get an evo as my next car instead of an r32.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:44:17 am by remi raymond »
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Nathan Lehfeldt

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 03:52:18 pm »
Great pics, I like the "head to head" pic

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 12:27:47 pm »
Nice pics!
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Lucas Reid

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 07:31:04 am »
loving the last one
1998 Eagle Talon esi

Offline Chris Gaudreau

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 09:04:08 pm »
Thats a nice car :)
1994 Talon FWD N/T =P

Offline Cole Chalmers

• DERP!DERP!DERP!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 03:04:42 pm »
Also god damn you Brett, every time I see your pictures it makes me want to get an evo as my next car instead of an r32.

Having the opportunity to have driven both an evo (two seperate evo's at that) and a skyline I can tell you that you definitely would want the evo more. Unless you want to drift, but even that's doable in the lancer ;). The moment I can afford another one I'm picking up another Early evo, preferably an E3.

Nice pics brett! If you send them to me I might be able to fix up some of the darker ones in Ps.

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 06:29:30 pm »

Having the opportunity to have driven both an evo (two seperate evo's at that) and a skyline I can tell you that you definitely would want the evo more. Unless you want to drift, but even that's doable in the lancer ;). The moment I can afford another one I'm picking up another Early evo, preferably an E3.
What did you like/dislike about either car,(Evo or Skyline)?  Which Evo did you drive and was the Skyline a GTR?  My bro has a GTS.  I'm sure he'd let me drive it if I could get in the same place as him and his car(sigh).
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD