Author Topic: My 1992 Lancer Evolution GSR *new pics, photoshoot*  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Brody Howell

• <3 the screaming eagle.
Re: My 1992 Lancer Evolution GSR *new pics, photoshoot*
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 03:04:26 am »
< Former Alltrac guy

The RC was the homologation car. It had the wicked air to water intercooler (hello no intercooler upgrades ever) and the homologation aero kit, namely that really nice heat extraction vent on the hood. It also had some gearbox and diff changes and a bump in power from more boost and water sprayers for the intercooler system (they were hidden and most owners aren't aware of them, not sure if they were active)

Only 5000 were made world-wide and were also sold elsewhere as the Group A or Carlos sainz versions.

And as brett says, stock for stock it is the slower car but it responds to mods just as well as our engines do and I would argue has a stronger drivetrain. Also came standard with a rear LSD

However the really cool thing was they are wired for an anti-lag missfiring system with injection into the exhaust manifold. Everything is there for that system except the ECU to activate it. That would be fun :)

Sadly toyota dropped the celica as the wrc car shortly after this car because they were kicked out for a season for cheating, then they used a one-off 4wd corolla with the 3s-gte, and then they just stopped after that.

Also god damn you Brett, every time I see your pictures it makes me want to get an evo as my next car instead of an r32.

"Sadly toyota dropped the celica as the wrc car shortly after this car because they were kicked out for a season for cheating, then they used a one-off 4wd corolla with the 3s-gte, and then they just stopped after that."

^^ I read that in a 0-60 magazine like 2 months ago, something about they're bypass valve which allowed them to run a lot more boost which equaled like 50 more hp.
Toyota WRC are some crazy ass people.
- 1993 Talon Tsi AWD Turbo "The Screaming Eagle" - SOLD
- 1995 Toyota Celica GT-S (DD)
- 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-T (DD)
       -RB20DET Powered
       -Blitz Supersonic Intake Cone
       -Cusco Front & Rear Strut Tower Bars
       -255/40ZR17 REAR 225/45ZR17 FRONT
       -AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge
       -Autometer Phantom Series Boost Gauge
=====>(LOOKING FOR COILOVERS. PM ME)<=====

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 04:34:35 pm »
all  fia wrc teams are crazy mofos.  at that level, you have to be to compete.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Glen Young

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 06:17:10 pm »
< Former Alltrac guy

The RC was the homologation car. It had the wicked air to water intercooler (hello no intercooler upgrades ever) and the homologation aero kit, namely that really nice heat extraction vent on the hood. It also had some gearbox and diff changes and a bump in power from more boost and water sprayers for the intercooler system (they were hidden and most owners aren't aware of them, not sure if they were active)

Only 5000 were made world-wide and were also sold elsewhere as the Group A or Carlos sainz versions.

And as brett says, stock for stock it is the slower car but it responds to mods just as well as our engines do and I would argue has a stronger drivetrain. Also came standard with a rear LSD

However the really cool thing was they are wired for an anti-lag missfiring system with injection into the exhaust manifold. Everything is there for that system except the ECU to activate it. That would be fun :)

Sadly toyota dropped the celica as the wrc car shortly after this car because they were kicked out for a season for cheating, then they used a one-off 4wd corolla with the 3s-gte, and then they just stopped after that.

Also god damn you Brett, every time I see your pictures it makes me want to get an evo as my next car instead of an r32.

All spot on, except the anti-lag is only on st205 (6th gen) models.

The RC also has an ecu mapped up to 17 psi instead of 12. the RC is 235hp stock, the Group A and CS is 225 I believe. CS models were available in leather interior and they are identifiable by water sprayers in front of the headlights as well. oh and most are left hand drive (europe)

Oh and hey guys, my first post! :)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 06:28:55 pm »
That RC car did not boost to 17 psi, it was 11 or 12, until the owner put in a mbc.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Glen Young

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 06:34:00 pm »
That RC car did not boost to 17 psi, it was 11 or 12, until the owner put in a mbc.

The RC also has an ecu mapped up to 17 psi instead of 12.

Exactly. and so should you install an MBC it supports up to 17 psi.. although not really safe on a stock engine. the ct26 is crap.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:36:14 pm by Glen Young »

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 06:42:18 pm »
the car was blowing spark out at anything over 14 psi.  It was backfiring and running very poorly, with clouds of black smoke out. 

Less than optimal turbo aside, everyone says that the 3sGTE is a tough engine and can handle 17 and more psi.  Is this incorrect?

Offline Glen Young

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 06:57:01 pm »
I'd say I need non crap plugs with a lesser gap, I think you were telling me that. I went with the iridiums because of longevity and that was a bad move. the ct26 efficiency ends at 17 psi, and very few come close to the 300hp mark with it.

I was going to leave the car running stock boost until the dyno day, but then someone had a boost controller for $20....

My grey RC I ran at 14 psi for a year and a half, no issues, ever, on copper plugs.

**Edit** and yeah they can handle it, but not without a metal head gasket. Generally these engines pop if you run anything over 14-15psi regularly...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:59:18 pm by Glen Young »

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 07:25:50 pm »
typical toyota... blowing headgaskets all over the place and leaking oil ;) ;)

Nice to see you on the forum Glen!!   Get that clutch changed out and the good copper plugs!

now STOP THREAD JACKING YOU HOMOS!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 07:47:56 pm »
homo this, homo that, thats all you seem to talk about.  Good thing you have a bun in the oven, or people would start to wonder...

:D

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 08:12:38 pm »
lol  that bun is getting HUGE!!  holy shit!! what have i created!

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 06:05:29 pm »
Actually while we're off-topic on the topic of the 3s-gte..

I miss my alltrac... but i'll give you guys one guess as to what killed it.

I'll give you a hint - it rhymes with "thrown seabasket"
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 08:02:45 am »
hehehe, lemme think... you broke its "smaller than a breadbasket"?  No?  Sorry I am stumped...

Glen, I wish you were there at Kinetic the other week, I was having some piping built for Carmens XR4Ti and there was this Toyotahead there.  When he asked what I drove and I told him "91 Talon awd" he was all "U shoulda got an All-Trac"  I said that I liked them, but that a Talon has a stronger engine and you can make 400-500hp without opening up the motor.  He got mad and told me that the 3Sgte was WAY stronger and way more reliable, and that the 4g63 was overhyped garbage.  Not some kid either, older than me.

Offline Glen Young

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 10:15:35 am »
hehehe, lemme think... you broke its "smaller than a breadbasket"?  No?  Sorry I am stumped...

Glen, I wish you were there at Kinetic the other week, I was having some piping built for Carmens XR4Ti and there was this Toyotahead there.  When he asked what I drove and I told him "91 Talon awd" he was all "U shoulda got an All-Trac"  I said that I liked them, but that a Talon has a stronger engine and you can make 400-500hp without opening up the motor.  He got mad and told me that the 3Sgte was WAY stronger and way more reliable, and that the 4g63 was overhyped garbage.  Not some kid either, older than me.

Oh I'm sure you could! For a bit...

Here's an interesting read:
http://www.gtfour.ca/howtoblowyourengine.html

**Jacked again**
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:20:58 am by Glen Young »

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 08:11:51 pm »
Hah! We have a page somewhat like that too.

Actually having owned both, they both have their issues. That said I haven't managed to blow up my 4g63.

... yet.

http://vfaq.com/mods/kill.html
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 01:34:01 pm »
yeah threadjacking this thread with GT-4/3sGTE stuff is fine.  I love those cars too!! and the GT-4 was in the photoshoot as well so go for it.

Yeah besides the shitty OEM headgaskets the 3SGTE comes with they are just as good of a engine as the 4g63.  The Advantage to owning a 3SGTE powers car is that when your timing belt goes snap snap that it doesn't bend the valves.

Non-Interferance engines FTW!
lol