Author Topic: Oil catch can – Valve cover to pre-Turbo air intake  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Tony Leong

• 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5spd
Oil catch can – Valve cover to pre-Turbo air intake
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:10 pm »
The inside of my ‘95 TSi AWD’s air intake is often coated in oil and the source is the 6mm I.D. rubber hose from the non-PCV vent on the valve cover.  This oil catch can was built to prevent this oil build-up and cost less than CAN$50 using commonly available air compressor filter & parts.

Parts needed:
3 – Zap straps 10”
1 – Porter Cable 3/8” filter assembly
2 – 3/8” hose repair kits
6’ – Silicone hose 6mm I.D.
4” – Silicone hose 8mm I.D.
Teflon tape – oil & gas compatible

Parts notes:
I could have used 4” or 6” Zaps, but didn’t like how narrow they were.  I used 10” Zaps because I liked how thick they were and felt the air compressor filter (filter) mounting would be secure.

The filter and two 3/8” barb kits just happened to be on sale the day I stopped by the local Sears.  <Pictures CCan Parts I to III>

The filter is 6 1/2” long by 5 1/2” wide, made of a die cast metal and weighs about 2.5lbs.  I like the sight glass (shows as a silver, vertical line on the filter’s catch basin) that lets me know how much oil is the catch basin.  <Pictures CCan Dimension I & II, CCan Temp Rating, CCan Sight Glass>

The lengths of silicone hose will vary to suit your tastes and preferred location.  I got the hose from Road Race Engineering.

Teflon tape is from Home Depot.  The tape used is rated for oil & gas.  The usual plumber’s Teflon tape is rated for water connections.  This goes onto the hose barb’s threads before screwing them into the filter’s body.  <<Pictures CCan Parts IV & V>

Tools needed/suggested:
Drill
1/4" drill bit
Wire cutters to cut zap straps
Scissors or knife to cut silicone hose
Black felt marker to mark where you’re going to drill
Jack and safety stands
safety goggles

Installation:
Set the E-brake, block both rear wheels, jack up the car, place both safety stands, put on your safety glasses (keep the under car crud from falling into your eyes) and call your Mom on her birthday.

Gravity is good and can help you.  I kept the filter down low, lower than both the valve cover and the air intake as I wanted any oil vapour in the lines to drain down into the filter’s catch basin when the engine is OFF.  The filter is not, in my opinion, a show piece.

I chose a spot just inside of the passenger front wheel to mount the filter and marked the filter’s fitment.  I drilled 5 holes into the plastic inner fender material.  I chose to hold the weight of the filter by its two 3/8” barbs on either side of the filter.  To keep the filter’s bottom from flapping towards the engine, the drain valve’s housing at the bottom is Zapped too.  Yes, that is the stock side mount intercooler’s intake in the picture.  <Pictures CCan Zap Mount & CCan Pre-Mount & CCan Silicone Hose Attached>

There’s a short length of 8mm I.D. silicone hose on the end of the filter to help empty oil into a container.  <Pictures CCan Finished>

Comments:

Looking from the top of the engine bay, you would never see the filter.

So far, I have put 1,600Km (1,000 miles) on the filter.  Idle speed did not change (with the stock MAF/air intake).  The hoses have not separated from the filter, valve cover or air intake.  The three Zap straps kept the filter in place.  There was no oil in the filter to drain out either.

To drain the filter, you could reach under and feel around to open the filter’s drain valve.  Valve is shown open below <Pictures CCan Pre-Mount>  

and closed below <Pictures CCan Silicone Hose Attached>.

I prefer to jack the car up to get at the drain valve while doing my other under car maintenance.  This way I can also be sure that the valve is closed as dirty air would be sucked in past an open drain valve, so beware.

I’ll update this post with anything that turns up; it’s work in progress that I’ll monitor.

Update 25 Sept 2009:

It has been  2 months and 3,450Kms (2,155 miles) since the filter was installed.  There was a run for the FVT 2009 and a run up to Campbell River, BC (lucky Van Island BC DSMers!) during that time.

Still, there is no oil or sludge in the filter.  The sight glass is still clear and when the drain cock was left open for half an hour, nothing dripped out of the hose.  The filter's body has no visible cracks on its exterior, is still securely held by the Zaps and the silicone hoses have not moved off their barb fittings.

I am guessing there is some blow-by going between the VC and the filter because I can see an oil "sweat" covering the hose's exterior that attaches to the VC barb.  The sweat covers 3" of the hose.  The sweat beads never joined to form oil droplets (my condominium's strata bylaws probably scared the beads into not forming oil drips onto the concrete flooring of the parking spot).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:29:50 pm by Tony Leong »

Offline Zach Holt

Re: Oil catch can – Valve cover to pre-Turbo air intake
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:46:29 pm »
wow I like how its documented! VERY COOL Tony. hoenstly :) one of the best posts Ive seen on this forum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:50:45 pm »
Very nice.

I love the drain knob idea at the bottom.  And the sight glass.  That is pretty cool.

While you are at it you might as well clean out your intercooler.  It is also gunked with oil which reduces the efficiency of the intercooler.

Just take it out and swish it with a bit of gasoline.  Its the best way to remove the oil that has accumulated all these years.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:16:41 am by Sy Haw Wong »

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 04:07:13 am »
I will be doing a similar setup, but I'm going to have a 2 catch can setup which keeps the stock PCV system.

I will have a catch can inbetween the valve cover breather and air intake (like you did), and another catch can inbetween the pcv valve and intake manifold, with a check valve, all vacuum sealed.

As per this thread I read on Dsmtuners...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/321894-proper-catchcan-installation.html
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:15:41 am by Ivan Skare »
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline Josh Royle

• 6 Bolt Swap
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:02:33 pm »
thats great sticky this thread?
1998 GST
Built 6 Bolt Swap/ 3" Turbo Back /Blitz BOV/Apexi SAFC/AutoMeter Cobalt Boost.Oil Prs. AF Gauge/MBC/Hard Intake pipe/Skunk 2/ HID 10K/ FMIC

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 02:18:36 pm »

Tony is trying to have this posted on DSM Tuners as a permanent sticky.

I think this is a wicked and well written contribution to any type of car owner.

Offline Tony Leong

• 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5spd
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:03:21 pm »
wow I like how its documented! VERY COOL Tony. hoenstly :) one of the best posts Ive seen on this forum.

Thanks for the feedback Zach.  Glad you enjoyed it.

This setup hasn't been field tested long enough, so I will update it with observations over time.  

Very nice.

I love the drain knob idea at the bottom.  And the sight glass.  That is pretty cool.

While you are at it you might as well clean out your intercooler.  It is also gunked with oil which reduces the efficiency of the intercooler.

Just take it out and swish it with a bit of gasoline.  Its the best way to remove the oil that has accumulated all these years.

There was quite a bit of oil sitting at the intercooler inlet back in October 2008, so the oil in the IC was swished out.  

The factory, fabric-over-rubber UICP collected oil quickly without a catch can installed.  I cleaned that out before putting in the catch can.  I'll update with how much, if any, oil is in the UICP after another month of driving.

I will be doing a similar setup, but I'm going to have a 2 catch can setup which keeps the stock PCV system.

I will have a catch can inbetween the valve cover breather and air intake (like you did), and another catch can inbetween the pcv valve and intake manifold, with a check valve, all vacuum sealed.

As per this thread I read on Dsmtuners...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/321894-proper-catchcan-installation.html

Keep me updated on the PCV to cylinder-intake oil catch can setup as that could be stage II for me once I know this current one works well.

I bought a new OEM PCV and blew from the barbed end towards the VC side (I expected it to completely stop air in that direction when under boost). I noticed a hissing sound and hence, air leakage out the brass tube (the part that is inside the VC).  The old PCV valve did the air leakage hiss too from the same area.  A one-way check valve to assist that poor air sealing PCV would help keep some of that hard won boost in the manifold.  Last time I searched, a strong check valve was going for US$300; I knew I could do better.

Update 02 Nov 2009:  Found a check valve for $27 at http://www.maperformance.com/product.php?productid=24875&cat=255&page=1  It's advertised to hold 100 psi.

Tony is trying to have this posted on DSM Tuners as a permanent sticky.

I think this is a wicked and well written contribution to any type of car owner.

Actually, I haven't tried too hard.  I started, saw I needed at least 50 posts and was figuring out who to PM when Sylvia asked me if I wanted a beer with her on the balcony.  I haven't gone back.

02 Nov 2009: Still drinking beer and haven't tried posting on DSM Tuners.  Not likely too either.  I like it here at BC DSM.

Thanks for the feedback on the post Sy Haw.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:39:39 pm by Tony Leong »

Offline Yas Jandric

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:32:32 am »
Cool
Same thing i did few years ago.

Its awesome, although my comp. filters were clear.