Author Topic: CompuStar Alarm will not autostart  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Sy Haw Wong

CompuStar Alarm will not autostart
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:24:20 pm »
I haven't used auto start since the spring, and decided to use it today just for the heck of it.  It would not start.  There are no error codes and the car will go into reservation mode to preset the auto start feature.  When I press the remote to start it, it seems like it is trying to initiate the starting sequence, but would not crank (maybe a kill switch is enabled?).  I am just seeing if there are any experts out there with experience with CompuStar alarms.  If not then I may have to  go to Ralph's or somewhere to have them diagnose and fix this for me.

The rest of the functions on the alarm works so I don't think the brain is fried.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:29:11 pm by Sy Haw Wong »

Offline Mike Hewitt

Re: CompuStar Alarm will not autostart
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »
How many times do your lights flash when you try to remote start it? If you still have the manual I'm pretty sure there is a certain amount of flashes that mean certain things?

~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 02:22:40 pm »
No flashes.  Thats the odd part.  If there were flashes on the parking lights it would indicate errors.  I have gone through the manuals and installer manuals.

Something is odd. 

Offline Kyle Kemp

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:07:39 pm »
Come see me at Music Worx in chilliwack or any other AVU in the area can fix it
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - #1 for sound quality
-Big T28 w/ FP Manifold
-6 bolt swap
-3" Full Exhaust
-Greddy E managment
-Eprom ECU
-DSM Chip

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:18:01 am »
Thanks Kyle.

I live in Vancouver, so probably going to try to head to Ralph's Audio on Main Street and see if they can assist.

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 07:51:02 am »
its a dead brain. if everything work except the remote start then you need to either have it reset or replace the brain
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:44:43 am »
Try re-programming the alarm.

I have the same alarm as you, I have my book if you want to borrow it.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:12:12 am »
Thanks Jason.

When you mean the book, do you mean the installer's manual?  Cause I downloaded that from the Compustar site.

I tried resetting my remote a few weeks ago after I had a little short in my car battery.  I will try again later today to see if it will work.

I don't think the brain is fried.  It shows no symptoms of that.  What it does show is that the car can go into reservation mode to preset the autostart.  But when I press the autostart button, the blue alarm LED goes from blinking to solid, and I hear the car beep inside for a while and that is it it does not start.  The blue LED stays solid after that.

Thats why I have to see if I can bring it to a shop to see if they can diagnose or reset the alarm for me.  I really have no idea what i am looking for since it was preinstalled when I purchase the car.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:16:30 am by Sy Haw Wong »

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 12:43:32 pm »
Just an update,  I called and booked Ralph's Audio, but they are going to ding me $60 an hour for their diagnostic services.

If there is anyone out there that knows of a certified Compustar installer for cheaper within the Lower Mainland let me know.  I don't mind paying, but $60 is a bit steep for trouble shooting.

Lets hope I things will work again once I reset my remote/alarm before I actually take it to Ralphs.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:26:27 pm by Sy Haw Wong »

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 06:00:19 pm »
when you try to autostart and it goes solid blue, is the car on "on" meaning your deck would be playing (if you left it on) and all the lights on your dash are on? and trying to unarm to get into the car doesnt work and you have to unlock the door via the key to get in?

seems like something my car went through and the guy who installed it just reset or reprogrammed the brain somehow.. i think that's what he did if i'm not mistaken.

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 12:25:09 am »
Yes.  All dash lights are on.  CEL, Battery, etc. like it normally would when you crank a car. But it just wont start.

Offline Igor Kozlov

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 02:37:56 am »
Sy Haw, check the fuses related to your alram, located under the front dash/steering wheel area depending on the installation.
Once i had problems with my autostart function and it turned out to be one of the fuses was completely fried, it even fried its fuse holder and neighbor wiring. That was bizarre.
97 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5spd. Peacefully hibernating...

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 02:51:46 am »
i had the exact same problem with my compustar remote start. i would hit the remote start and it would do everything it normally did but it wouldn't turn on. all the electrical inside (deck, gauges) would turn on but the car wouldn't actually start. i took it to my buddy (who is a certified compustar tech btw. i'll call him tomorrow and see if he can look at it for you) and he scanned it and said the brain was fried. after he replaced it everything worked fine
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 07:26:19 am »
i dont remember exactly what he told me he did when i brought my car to him but i know it was something you can do through the manual that comes with the alarm.. like i said, i THINK he just reprogrammed the alarm.. i can give you his contact if you want, he lives in van.. by victoria drive and 41st.. i don't really know him that well.. just recommended by a buddy for car alarms.. nice guy tho, always helped when something was up with my alarm.

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 08:20:03 am »
i dont remember exactly what he told me he did when i brought my car to him but i know it was something you can do through the manual that comes with the alarm.. like i said, i THINK he just reprogrammed the alarm.. i can give you his contact if you want, he lives in van.. by victoria drive and 41st.. i don't really know him that well.. just recommended by a buddy for car alarms.. nice guy tho, always helped when something was up with my alarm.

I live close to that area.  If you can PM his contact that would be great Marq.
My hunch is not the brain that is fried.  But the tac sensor that needs to be reset.
I will also check the fuse (thanks Igor I know you have the same alarm as I do).