Author Topic: parts needed for turbo swap  (Read 578 times)

Offline Kevin Standeven

parts needed for turbo swap
« on: August 10, 2003, 03:27:14 am »
Hey everyone, it's time to install my 16g! I need to pick up all the little parts though, and I'm curious what I'll need. I'd like to have everything ready ahead of time; no last minute dashes to the dealership in my dads campervan :wink:

So far, I plan on getting:
-crush washers for water line and oil line
-all gaskets (exh man to head, exh man to turbo, turbo to o2, turbo to lower IC pipe, oil return line gaskets)
-oil feed line top eyebolt
-downpipe nuts/studs
-turbo to exh man bolts/stud and washers
-turbo/O2 housing bolt/stud and nuts.

Not sure if I'll need any other eye-bolts or the oil return line bolts; I'm guessing the turbo's been on there since 1990, so if there's any chance the bolts need replacing, I'll get them ahead of time. As for the exh man studs and nuts going to the head, they're all less than a year old so I'm hoping they're ok.

If anyone sees anything I missed, or any reccomendations for other parts I might need, please let me know!
Thanks,
-Kevin
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 11:56:41 am »
Kev, there are good turbo removal/installation guides over at the vfaq.

You might also wanna get a 2g manifold and have at least the O2 housing ported at the same time.  All the cost in that is getting the damn things off and you will have them off already.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 02:28:19 pm »
Thanks John, yeah I checked out the vfaq, thats where I got most of my info, but I wanted to have someone elses opinion as well. And I already have a 2g exh man, the stock one was cracked BAD when I bought the car.

Is porting the o2 manifold something I can do myself with a die grinder?
97 Talon AWD

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 02:59:35 pm »
hey if you have acess to a die grinder with enough power, GREAT :)

I'd like to port a 2g 02 sensor housing too one of these days.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 11:05:58 pm »
Would you get really bad boost creep without porting the 02 housing?  And if you set your MBC to 13psi would it keep creeping to the point where the wastegate cant go anymore (18psi?)
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 11:46:24 pm »
I get nasty creep, but you know what??  It don't matter anymore.  Know why??

I have my mbc SET to 18 :D  :twisted:   Creep all ya want ya cheezeball :uzi:

Offline Jamie Cannon

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 12:36:47 am »
Kev, I say call some wreckers and see if you can get an 02 housing cheap and then start looking at porting it yourself. I think Pick a Part might have a few Lasers/Talons, I'll look next time I'm there. It would be a nice reassurance if you have one 02 housing as spare just in case the porting job goes south.
Just my thoughts, let me know if you need a hand.
othing but respect for the DSM crowd, you guys know how to build a fine car.

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 02:03:27 pm »
There was one eagle in pick-a-part, but it was pretty much picked clean  :(

Maybe I'll check it out again, and just see if I can find *anything* useful.
97 Talon AWD

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 02:09:55 pm »
if your looking for an 02 housing, i have one stock. It should be available perhaps by the end of the week. if your interested, PM me, i'm sure i'll be able to help you out

Offline Matt Peschke

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 09:23:45 am »
kev...how did your install go?

where did u get most of the parts?

i'm trying to price everything out right now for my swap

thanks

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 11:48:04 am »
Wow, old thread  :D

The install went great! I went to L&R Racing, and they hooked me up with every bolt, washer, and gasket I needed. It came to around $90 I think, but my memory isn't the greatest. The only problem I ran into was stripping an exhaust manifold stud in the the head, and not having a helicoil kit or the patience neccesary to fix it. If you need and advice or have any other questions, lemme know.
97 Talon AWD

Offline Matt Peschke

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 12:18:31 pm »
thanks a lot kevin....

good old search function found this thread ;)

i really want to do this all by myself too, but I just don't have time :(

damn my business and school

thanks kev...

next thing to find is a boost gauge and fuel pump rewire parts (does anybody have leftowvers that I could purchase from them?)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2003, 12:49:29 pm »
Matt, you don't need a kit or anything for the rewire.  Really.

Just go get enough 10g wire to go from your battery, down and thru the firewall(pass side, big grommet), along the door sill(pass side), up under the rear seat and up to the fuel pump along the drivers side inside the interior parts.  Get an inline fuse holder(20amp fuse) and put that in the wire.  I put mine near the battery.  You will also want a 10g ground wire, but it only has to be a foot or so long.  I grounded it to a screw near the drivers side under the rear covering.  And the last thing you need is a relay.  Cheap at CT or anywhere fog lights etc are sold.

Follow the VFAQ on it and you are good to go.

Offline Matt Peschke

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2003, 01:03:49 pm »
perfect...it has always sounded easy enough

thanks a lot john