Author Topic: Possible Meet Idea: Road Rally?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Kristopher

Possible Meet Idea: Road Rally?
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:17:41 am »
Perhaps it's just me, but I'm very interested in participating in some legal road rallies this summer with the ol' Talon.
Occasionally I'll check some of the other local car clubs, facebook, and generally any publication related to cars but I always come up empty handed.

Tonight while having a gander at the rallybc website I suffered a big let-down when I read their upcoming road rally was only accessible to pre-1979 cars!

Now it may sound cheesey, but I remember stories my parents told me from their hippie days of being in Van Clubs where they'd all get together regularly, participate in a poker run or road rally, then end up at a curling rink or pub to drink it up and celebrate the shenanigans.

I'm I out of touch with reality that badly now??? LOL

So Coordinators...any hope of this becoming a possibility or am I smoking what my parents did?
Kristopher

Offline Mark Guthrie

Re: Possible Meet Idea: Road Rally?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:23:06 am »
hmm Kris thats a great idea, i actually know of a little well known but well kept secret place like u have mentioned, where the drinks are cheap and a good place to gather quite a few people, but! its in chilliwack! the good knew is if we were to plan something like this the surrounding area of chilliwack hope and what not is a great place since it has all kinds of back country roads and is out of the big ol city! maybe ill look into more idea's and try to organise something for the may meet? usually may is a really busy month for me but since i have lots of time in advance i might be able to swing it!!!!!!!!!

how long are we talking? couple hours? check points? pictures in certain areas, finding certain items, that kind of shenanigans?
silly honda's, street lamps are for seeing, not hugging!

1991 talon tsi awd (DB UICP,Greddy type S BOV,FMIC, Steel 3"intake, 3" exhaust, BB MBC, 14PSI)

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:38:02 am »
Kris, neat idea.

If you're familiar with the Targa Newfoundland, I've heard grumblings/rumours about something similar coming to the Kootenays in the next couple years.
They usually offer a balls-out rally, a 'spirited' rally, and a time-speed-distance rally over the course of the event.

I'll pass on anything I hear, as I'd be very interested in doing a Targa Kootenays (Especially as my family vacationed there for many years when I was younger, I'd love to go back).
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:16:13 am »
OK sweet, so there's some interest :D

I've done some TSD Rallying, and crew'd for a guy in WCRC in years past.
But my initial thought was something like the FVT which my wife and I enjoyed (even though my crankshaft wasn't feeling the love and committed an early suicide) but with some challenges intertwined.

I'd be up for assigning points to gathering items (receipt from such-and-such a place, photo of landmark, etc) then putting a time deadline on the hunting portion where all teams would have to meet back up at the rendez-vous point and get counted. Following that you'd announce the winners and any tie challenges, then it's off to drink alcohol (or bubble tea).

Or

Devise a map or instructions for a pre-determined route with a set of questions to be answered along the route. The team with the most correct answers wins.

Or

Try to set up a TSD which generally involves more of the open road but requires quite a bit more supervision for checkpoint violations (since speeding is not accepted in TSDs!).

Neither one really groups all the cars together but the first idea makes for some interesting conversations when you happen to cross paths with another club member during your poaching (ie "hey where the eff are those two going...what are they trying to get???").

Kristopher

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:01:41 am »
4 Words: I would love too!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:48:05 pm »
Good idea Kris. I think there would be support for this.

I was trying to think of new, good gatherings for this year, and this one has merit!

BTW, I like to drive my car, and not in downtown Vancouver. I would like to do some longer events this year.

Jason
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:12:51 pm »
I'd love to do something like this. Keep us posted.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 09:59:05 am »

But my initial thought was something like the FVT which my wife and I enjoyed (even though my crankshaft wasn't feeling the love and committed an early suicide) but with some challenges intertwined.

Kris, i'm planning on getting into TSD rally this year so I can get licensed for stage rallys in the next few years - you still up for running TSD these days? There is a training course in Duncan in may i'm attending, it would be nice to have another club member at some of those!

Were they predominately on paved roads, the ones you did? 

I've seen some "poker" rallys before, where you go to 5 sites and at each site you get a card. At the end, the best hand wins. I'm sure there was some modification of the rules to reward people who are closest to zero for the expected time (Over or Under time means less reward) just like TSD.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 11:07:59 am »

Kris, i'm planning on getting into TSD rally this year so I can get licensed for stage rallys in the next few years - you still up for running TSD these days? There is a training course in Duncan in may i'm attending, it would be nice to have another club member at some of those!

I've seen some "poker" rallys before, where you go to 5 sites and at each site you get a card. At the end, the best hand wins. I'm sure there was some modification of the rules to reward people who are closest to zero for the expected time (Over or Under time means less reward) just like TSD.

Can you send me some info on the TSD training in Duncan? Thats right in my area.  If you do come out here we should setup a meet as there are a few dsm's in Duncan (Maurits Vos, Goran Jandric, myself) we should go for a cruise. Maybe even get a few ppl from Victoria to come up this way.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:33:40 pm »

The Mudlark Rally was a fun one...about 500km on paved, gravel, and some less-travelled roads if I recall.
http://www.cscc.ab.ca/mudlark/
LOL I remember navigating and having my head down in my book for 3 hours straight performing all the calculations then my driver didn't listen to me and failed to make a turn. After that and not wanting to lose time, he peeled around and we were back on track. The problem was then that every one of my calcs was off since his odometer was no longer sync'd to my route!! His right arm and my left were quite bruised at the end of that day. Overall it took us 8 hours(?) and I think we actually placed well in that one.

But yes, I've vowed to get into driving and navigating once the dust settles with this business. I nearly bought a prepped rally Talon last year for a smoking deal...still kicking myself.

For this I was thinking of presenting a list of items, each worth varying points, and set the time limit at 3 or 4 hours. The goal is to get 50 points then meet back at the rendez-vous before time runs out. The list will have items totalling 100 points so it's up to the team to pick and choose which ones they feel are the best option to do.

Here's an example:
1. Obtain a picture of the Lion's Gate bridge - 5 points
2. Get a receipt from King Pie - 5 points  ( <--LOL ;) )
3. What is written on the big blue sign at XX Intersection - 3 points
4. Find a pinecone - 4 points
5. Obtain a business card from a Mitsu dealer - 3 points

..... and so it goes.

Kristopher

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 05:10:34 pm »
King Pies gotta be worth 10 points.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods