Author Topic: New Shocks, New Wheels  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
New Shocks, New Wheels
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:50:36 pm »
After a long debate with myself and finally being able to afford it, I've decided to get some new shocks.

So here are some pictures:

Car goes up on the stands. (That's Richard Clark's 90 Talon TSi on the stands on the right)

The new set...

... the old and out...

I love how the red stands out

This one wouldn't come out...

When it did... It left the bushing on. How nice..
Finally got the bushing and the ring off and all the shocks on the car.

Then I decided to splurge and get some "new" wheels as well. A buddy of mine had these for sale and I just couldn't say no.

O.Z. Racing F1 rims

Maybe it's just me, but the wheels sure do bring out the trim more than ever compared to this:

That's my modest Laser...
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline Zach Holt

Re: New Shocks, New Wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »
Nice stuff!

Ps if you got those rims n rubber off cragslist I almost got em but theres a huge chunk of rubber missing out of a inner side wall so for the off change you picked them on on craigslist for 500 bucks. might wana take a look :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:33:16 pm »
Nice stuff!

Ps if you got those rims n rubber off cragslist I almost got em but theres a huge chunk of rubber missing out of a inner side wall so for the off change you picked them on on craigslist for 500 bucks. might wana take a look :)

Nope. I got them from my buddy Jas actually. And there were two different sets of tires on the rims when I got them. They were the same size, but different diameter so I had my tires mounted on them.

As for how much I got them for... No one will ever know  ;) :-X
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:29:10 pm »
ahha looks good ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Fred Cheng

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:49:51 pm »
Nice, Maurits!  How're the new shocks?  Rims look way better, btw, and they're pretty light too, no?

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 02:09:24 am »
Thanks Fred!!

The shocks are great. The rear is a bit stiff at slow speeds, in parking lots, going over speed bumps. Other than that, they're awesome.
There isn't any rubber on the old rims right now and they're pretty light themselves. I think the OZ rims are just about the same weight, but they sure as shit look way nicer. I've had a girl tell me today she wanted to hump my car :P

They hardest part about the new wheels was getting centering hub rings. Nobody could find them, so I had to get the originals machined to fit the hub. The fellow did a good job. Didn't bend one single ring and they fit perfect around the hubs :D

PS: Zach.. $350 rims and rubber. I couldn't hold it in any longer!

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 10:14:33 pm »
lookin like a good beginning.  Now, wash it!!  :D

hey, you will really like the handling from those shocks if you get rid of that gross positive camber in the front end.  Put some SPC camber bolts in the struts(replaces one of the large strut bolts).  Put it as negative(top of the tire facing inwards) as you can make it.  FIddle around with it for a while and really get it to go in.  you will get around 1.5deg negative out of it.  This will be a HUGE change in turn in and overall grip.  Way better than stock.  Once you get it, go to a good alignment shop and have them set JUST THE TOE!!  Make sure they know this ahead of time, JUST THE TOE!!  They can even out the rear camber of you want and set the rear toe as well, but don't let them reset your front camber as stock os -0.5 at best.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 12:56:30 pm »
lookin like a good beginning.  Now, wash it!!  :D

hey, you will really like the handling from those shocks if you get rid of that gross positive camber in the front end.  Put some SPC camber bolts in the struts(replaces one of the large strut bolts).  Put it as negative(top of the tire facing inwards) as you can make it.  FIddle around with it for a while and really get it to go in.  you will get around 1.5deg negative out of it.  This will be a HUGE change in turn in and overall grip.  Way better than stock.  Once you get it, go to a good alignment shop and have them set JUST THE TOE!!  Make sure they know this ahead of time, JUST THE TOE!!  They can even out the rear camber of you want and set the rear toe as well, but don't let them reset your front camber as stock os -0.5 at best.

Are these the bolts you're talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SPC-FRONT-CAMBER-KIT-90-94-EAGLE-TALON-AWD-89-96-SUMMIT_W0QQitemZ230271545873QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 03:05:24 pm »
those should do it, but they are availiable locally.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 04:01:17 pm »
Yup... Lordco had them for $35. I picked up a set. I'm just not too sure about the setting it up and getting the right degree by setting it up myself. How hard is it to adjust myself?

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 04:08:39 pm »
oh simple.

Jack up one side, pull the wheel, pull out the upper strut bolt, crack loose the lower one so the hub can move, stuff the SPC camber bolt in, put a large flat screwdriver in the vents in your brake rotor, push on it so the top moves inwards, and with the other hand turn the bolt head until the wheel will be tilted inwards at the top as much as you can.  Hold the screwdriver in hard and tighten up the bolts.

Some tips, lube the bolt as it can rust and seize in there.  Lube the strut/hub joint so it slides freely and will come apart easier later.

Also, once you have the adjustment bolt in place and mostly finger tight, so it moves but is not sloppy, take some time to understand how it works so you can actually get the most out of it.  The first time I put a set in I thought I had it all the way negative but when I did the other side I realised I could get about another half a degree(fairly useful) out of it so I had to redo the other side.

MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR TOE SET or you will wear your tires. Even if its been recently set, the camber change WILL change the toe settings.

I swear, this made a bigger handling differnce than my lowering springs and both strut braces.

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 10:47:17 pm »
The guy I talked about camber said that -1.5 is a lot of camber and could affect braking. He wasn't too sure about how it would affect braking on awd dsms. Do you have any problems or have you noticed a difference once it comes to stopping? And would -1.5 be too much?

Another thing I'm not too sure about is that I'm still with stock springs, not lowering springs..

Any insight helps.. Still new/skeptical about a lot of things when it comes to my car  :P

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 10:50:33 pm »
The guy I talked about camber said that -1.5 is a lot of camber and could affect braking. He wasn't too sure about how it would affect braking on awd dsms. Do you have any problems or have you noticed a difference once it comes to stopping? And would -1.5 be too much?

Another thing I'm not too sure about is that I'm still with stock springs, not lowering springs..

Any insight helps.. Still new/skeptical about a lot of things when it comes to my car  :P

I had over -3.0 ...and my braking was fine...I recently got it aligned at -1.7 and im not havving any problems.
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 10:57:26 pm »
Shane, help me with adjusting the camber and you can have those shocks hehe  ;D

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 11:55:22 am »
no it won't affect anything.  Very minimally it will affect hard launches.  If you are setting your car up for nothing but drag racing, then yes, no rear negative camber will be beneficial, but other than that go for it.

But again, its up to you.  Your car, and your choice.  You can decide for yourself.