Author Topic: Coilovers or lowering springs.  (Read 437 times)

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
Coilovers or lowering springs.
« on: June 08, 2008, 12:10:39 am »
Driving with H & R lowering springs...
Soft but need more suspension travel....
Does adjustable lowering springs offer more travel ??
Or is K-sport Coilover kit the best street solution.??
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: Coilovers or lowering springs.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:41:09 am »
Driving with H & R lowering springs...
Soft but need more suspension travel....
Does adjustable lowering springs offer more travel ??
Or is K-sport Coilover kit the best street solution.??

I'm assuming by adjustable springs you mean coil over sleeves? Can't say for sure what to do, but if it was me I'd stay away from those if you're concerned with handling, which from the sounds of it you are. That said, if you're interested because your springs are too low for you and you want to be able to be a little higher, might not be a bad idea.

The simple truth is that these cars can't take much lowering, so you might have to recalibrate your idea of how low you can go without running out of suspension travel. You don't necessarily need coilovers; Your first option could be to find some properly valved dampeners to match your springs, that might be cheaper than coilovers; I think the KYB AGX's i've read about having the shortest shock body out there for us and so work well with shorter springs.

Coil-overs are always going to be the best bet if you go with a good brand because the springs and dampeners are made to match each other, so you're going to get something that a.) works most effectively in a small travel range and b.) has been tailored to work with the existing suspension geometry as best as possible. Yes it's possibly to figure these things our yourself and come up with a setup that will be as good, but short of just copying someones car that you know handles the way you like, after all the time installing/reinstalling things to get them right, a coil-over setup can save headaches.

But, i'm biased. Also, i've been looking at the k-sports myself.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:49:15 am »
sry i'm really tired and totally didn't read both posts.

but what i do know is that i put in Eibach 2" lowering springs and my car handles great. and the shocks i put in (Tokico whites) are 5-way adjustable (1-5. 1 being the softest which is still stiffer than stock and 5 turning off the shock completely) for a total of about $400 for just parts
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Jamie Oswald

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:13:51 am »
Also remember with the size of rims that your rollin on drew your clearnce is great. unlike me where i had tokico blues with them and i was on 16's i was almost kissing the ground.

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:12:22 am »
I have K-Sports, blew one shock warrentied no problem and no issues in over a year since very happy with them all together
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:42:47 am »
hmmm.... yes 18's definitely helped. so it looked super low cuz there was no space in between the wheel well and the wheel, but the wheels kept it high enough off the ground.

good point
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 08:34:37 pm »
I'm no pro.. so I read what pros had to say on all the auto-x forums..

This is an article written by a Canadian DSMer.. shocking information, pun intented  ;)

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Basically says all the asian shocks and coilovers are crap.. bilstein and penske are the best.. and koni yellows are the only affordable decent shock.

So I went with koni yellows and a ground control coilover setup that uses standard racing springs.. flat top and bottom, no fancy perch.  This means if you're really up for it you can buy yourself some hypercoils that will fit right in there.. which are the best racing springs you can possibly get... but the standard eibachs are good enough for me.

Oh ya.. my Konis and my GC adapters.. and the Eibach springs are all warrantied for life.

Cost just under 1K at the door.
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold