Author Topic: Trunk Hatch doesn't open..  (Read 442 times)

Offline kimfederico

Trunk Hatch doesn't open..
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:24:11 pm »
Hey, Ive been havin a problem with my trunk..it won't open unless I open it with my key, but when I try to open it with the trunk release button inside the car the trunk pops..but doesn't release it, so I cant open it. Just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this? not a big deal but I'd like to be able to pop my trunk without takin out the key and gettin out the car..
thnx
1999 eclipse gsx - Ass, gas or grass, nobody rides for free

Offline Chad Giffen

Re: Trunk Hatch doesn't open..
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:29:05 pm »
sounds like ur cable snapped. you will have to re-run it which means tearing apart your interior almost completley
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline kimfederico

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 12:34:20 pm »
damn..guess I'll be getting out of my car then..
thnx

Offline Mark Guthrie

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:33:23 pm »
before giving up try testing the trunk release with a friend watching it or pulling the lever while u have the hatch up, see if the release mechinism is working or not, if it is then all u need to do is adjust it.
if the cable is broke before u start ripping your entire enterior apart start at the easy spots, the trunk and the door sill, see if the broken cable is around these areas, if it is then u can attempt to attach the new cable to it and maybe pull it through without tearing your whole driverside of the interior apart!
hope its just the latch out of alignment
good luck
silly honda's, street lamps are for seeing, not hugging!

1991 talon tsi awd (DB UICP,Greddy type S BOV,FMIC, Steel 3"intake, 3" exhaust, BB MBC, 14PSI)

Offline kimfederico

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:02:33 pm »
well I can see that its popping up, so I think its just not fullly releasing it, so maybe all it needs is adjustment. How would I go about doing that?

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:40:19 pm »
That should be right where the cable attachs to the seat tab. Pull apart the cover where the gas cap and trunk tab is and see if the adjustment cable is in there.
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Joe March

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:58:56 pm »
Mine used to do that in till a come of months ago, but then i replaced the rear hatch seal and now it works perfect. The old one gets crushed and worn out. The seal was only $60 from Mitsubishi.   
98 Eclipse GST pacesetter header, evo3 16g, evo3 o2 housing, custom 3" exhaust, K&N FIPK, FMIC, greddy type S bov, act 2600

Offline kimfederico

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:01:03 am »
is it difficult to replace the seal? and would it be better to order it off the internet?
Thanks.

Offline Joe March

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:57:03 pm »
No its super easy, i did it in 10 minutes, and for only $60 from the dealership i didn't even bother looking on the internet.
98 Eclipse GST pacesetter header, evo3 16g, evo3 o2 housing, custom 3" exhaust, K&N FIPK, FMIC, greddy type S bov, act 2600