Author Topic: amplifier problem  (Read 694 times)

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
amplifier problem
« on: June 01, 2008, 04:40:23 pm »
So i've had this amp in my car for almost 2 months now, its a 5 channel amp, i am only running 4 speakers off of it so no huge load on it or anything.  The other day i get in my car and drive to the store music works fine, go in the store come back out, start the car, no music???  My Deck is working fine, power is getting to the amp, good ground, remote wire is working properly, no fuses blown, inline or on the amp, the power light on the amp doesn't come on though? I didn't even have the music loud or anything so i am really confused on how it would just die like that....although it is electrical anything can happen i guess
Any suggestions or should i just toss another amp at it?
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Jamie Oswald

Re: amplifier problem
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 05:40:44 pm »
Check your ground + your rca cables, Ive had the issue b4 and thoe only thing that would throw someting like that would be a bad ground. make sure that when grounding the wire that it is on bare metal, Paint removed. Let me know

Offline Kory Flansburg

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 05:48:58 pm »
Also check that the remote wire deck side is still connected.
Recheck fuses, ive had it happen before the fuses look fine, but there done.
- ARP head studs, HKS EVC @ 14-15 psi, K&N open air filter, GM 3" MAF-T Blow-Thru, Autometer Ultralite Boost Gauge. DNP SS manny w/ Tial 44mm, EVO3 ported o2 houseing, Full 3" exhaust.

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:09:55 pm »
Just like Jamie and Kory said, check the wiring.

First things I would check are, the power\grounds.
If connections are 'tested' as good, then move onto fuses. Take an ohm meter and put it on the 'beep' setting then touch each lead to each side of the fuse. Check the Inline power fuse, and the 1 or 2 on the amp itself, as well as where ever else you have fuses.

If all seems a-ok there, check the remote wire. Should be the blue or blue w\white wire on your deck. That wire tells your amp when it needs to turn on and off.
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:51:29 pm »
what kind of amp? dos it have any interal glass type fuses? I have had 2 amps in the past with internal fuses and external fuses. if thats all good and you know that isnt the issue, make sure nothing looks blown or anything when you have the amp apart, if you notice and power caps burnt/brown/fried then that is possible. If you have a high powered system 1500 watts RMS + and you arent running atleast 4 gauge wiring with a capacitor then your amp could have suffered from undervoltage and something internally is fried.
take it to a car audio store and pay 10$ or w.e it is (everywhere is different) and get it bench tested, if it tests okay than its wiring related.
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Jamie Oswald

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:16:56 pm »
Yeah with all this info you should fix your problem in no time. Ive installed tons of shit, Follow your remote and see that its still connected after you have checked everythng. All we need now is for you to give us the details. Whats it doing now did you check everything.

Good luck

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 11:06:39 pm »
when i redid all the wiring for my system in my car i found that the wiring had been worn down to bare copper from being under the carpet. it took forever to find because all i did was check the connections at both ends and they were both fine. i even bench tested both the deck and amp myself and they were both fine. it wasn't until i followed the wires throughout the car to find they had been practically severed. what a nightmare  >:(
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Dan Harshey

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:30:38 pm »
so a little testing today, amp is getting a nice 12.7V when key is turned to ACC, ground is good, both inline and external fuse on the amp have continuity.  Now my question is what voltage is the Remote turn on wire suppose to have? is it suppose to have 12V as well? or just spike for a second to turn the amp on or continually have 12v?
Thanks

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:56:28 pm »
my geuss is blown outputs sorry to tell you
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Kory Flansburg

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 04:55:09 pm »
well the good news.. i have an amp for sale!!! lol jk
- ARP head studs, HKS EVC @ 14-15 psi, K&N open air filter, GM 3" MAF-T Blow-Thru, Autometer Ultralite Boost Gauge. DNP SS manny w/ Tial 44mm, EVO3 ported o2 houseing, Full 3" exhaust.

Jamie Oswald

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 10:37:04 pm »
yeah it sounds like some thing has come loose in that amp dude. I dono what to tell you. What make/model is it?

Offline Kory Flansburg

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 07:32:16 am »
Could be Blown Mosfet(s) , if that amp even has em, but if all the wireing/fuses checks out, i think shes a cooked turkey.

Offline Dan Harshey

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 03:01:50 pm »
its an orion 7005, and so far from the testing i've done i am seeing no voltage on my remote wire at the amp so i checked it right out of the back of the deck, and still nothing, wondering if its something in the deck?? and is the remote suppose to have a spike of 12V to tell the amp to turn on, or is it 12V and it stays 12V as long as the amp is on?
Thanks
Dan

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 03:05:59 pm »
Could be Blown Mosfet(s) , if that amp even has em, but if all the wireing/fuses checks out, i think shes a cooked turkey.

whats a mosfet?????????????
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 03:54:05 pm »

whats a mosfet?????????????

According to wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosfet
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...