Author Topic: Working on friends talon.. Thowing code 12 and running horribly rich HELP!!  (Read 320 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
The car runs HORRIBLE.  Its running so rich that at idle black smoke pours out of the cylinder.  It wont rev past 2500 RPM and sounds like its hitting the rev limiter at 2500 - 3000RPM when you try and rev it.  Black smoke pours out of the tail pipe and it backfires and stinks.

There is a engine code that it throws right away, code 12 "Volume air flow sensor".  I datalogged it with MMCD and the whole time at idle it says its at 0 HZ all the time except for a breif second when it starts.

3" GM MAS, I used a 1G maf to check as a backup.  same thing

Also 680 cc injectors,  Maft is set properly.

HELP
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
i think it might have something to do with the safc wiring that is still left in the car connected to the stock wiring harness.  maybe something came disconnected or is shorting out.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

put it back to stock anywhere that the wiring has been butchered.  Specifically the green/white wire(or is it pink?) the wire for the MAF signal under the dash.  Also check that the MAFT wiring was done right.  Double check it anyway.

Get rid of any signs of the old SAFC wiring.  Good solder joints, no loose connections, nothing temporary.  Make sure the pins in the ECU harness are all pushed in and connecting to the ECU as well.

Make sure the ECU grounds are good too.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods