Author Topic: Edited .more pics ADDED AGAIN. "watch out 56K" Nov26 RG sh..tuff  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Zach Holt

Re: Re did my photos Pics of everything I could think of. "watch out 56K"
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 06:12:25 pm »
im 220 ;) lol just a guestamet. Ill wieght it once I have my doors. But thanks john :) I guess with the rear glass gone and head liner and carpet and little chunks of the dash the Speekers and little things like that it might be lighter.

now im kinda looking forword to wieghing in. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline David Dizon

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 11:20:09 am »
looking good zack!  ;D

love the cut out bumper nice and clean bro.
1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 20g turbo
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 08:21:22 am »
IIRC my red car in race weight  :P  (a/c, all options, sub box, amp, extra sound deadener, 1/4 tank, and me) was right at 3300lbs.  There's no reason a thoroughly gutted street legal (not necessarily streetable IMHO) 1G shouldn't be able to weigh in at around 2700lbs without driver.  Maybe even less with a bunch of carbon fiber and extensive thought/effort put into everything.  Keeping in mind of course that it gets tougher as you get faster because all of a sudden you need 150lbs of roll cage or something. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 02:25:46 pm »
yea but what does the black car weigh?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 06:28:34 pm »
1G shouldn't be able to weigh in at around 2700lbs without driver.  Maybe even less with a bunch of carbon fiber and extensive thought/effort put into everything. 

should be able to weigh 2700? explain??
Then google.
Then ask.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 07:18:21 pm »
well, mine weights 2885 with between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank of gas, me out.  I have big brakes, a water injection pump and a cast iron manifold.  As well, a steel hood, stock wheels, stock front seats, power windows, power locks, power steering, rear wiper, sunroof, both stock heavy steel bumper re-bars, a fairly heavy intercooler, a cast iron transfercase, both balance shafts, stock steel pulleys,full interior seats forward and a stock steel tube 3 piece driveshaft.

Put in a carbon fiber hood(25lbs saved, light wheels(20lbs saved),1 race seat(60lbs saved)manual windows and locks, rear wiper(10lbs saved)manual steering and no sunroof(25lbs saved), light bumper rebars(75lbs saved)lighter intercooler(10lbs saved)half aluminum tcase(10lbs saved), balance shafts removed(25lbs saved), cf or aluminum driveshaft (15lbs saved), and light weight pulleys(10lbs saved). Tubular exhaust manifold or FP cast manifold(20lbs)  FP cast exhaust housing for the turbo(5lbs)

That adds up to 310 lbs from my car.

Now, I could get crazier, gut the rest of the interior(dash, door panels, center console, carpeting, scrape all the sound deadener, cut some of the sheet metal out that is just to hold in the interior panels, head liner etc) and I'd say that would be at least another (100 lbs).  Then, carbon fiber doors and front fenders(150lbs), no rear spoiler/side spoilers,(25lbs), lexan glass all the way around(300lbs).  Short, almost downpipe only exhaust(75lbs) Standalone EMS with only enough wires to run the engine, fan and the lights,(no maf, no complicated wires, no extra crap at all) Probably save another (20lbs)  Convert to a 1gb front end(20lbs), no ABS at all(20lbs)  Convert to a 1 wiper system from a Scirrocco(5lbs), no washer bottles front or rear(5lbs full), small, billet alternator(5lbs), light racing starter(10lbs), slimline racing fan(2lbs), no hood prop rod or rear hatch struts(2lbs), custom light weight K member availiable on 'Tuners(35lbs) 

Now thats a total of 774lbs.

Now of course you could build your engine with aluminum rods, and bore it out 040 over(replace cast iron with aluminum), this might net you another 10lbs too.

Oh, I could take out cruise control too, for another pound or 2.  With a bit more nit picking, I could get that 774 to 800 I'm sure.  Eg, light weight lug nuts.  Oh, hell, I forgot aluminum calipers and 2 piece (aluminum hat) rotors.  That would bring it over that for damn sure.  Especially if you did all 4 wheels. Maybe someone makes light control arms?  Another 2-3 lbs per(10lbs)

So add the conservative 815 lbs to the conservative 310, and you get over 1125 lbs taken off my cars already less than stock weight car!  This would take my car down to an anemic 1760 lbs or less!!  And this car would still be street legal, and be driveable with a heater, wiper, lights, signals and a comfortable seat, with tons of cargo space.  No, not quiet, not smooth, not a pleasant commuter or hiway car, but no where near like an all out race car.

So you can see that 2700 would be real real easy!! Nearly 1000 full lbs more in your car when it hits 2700.

And even if you put in a quality roll cage, you would still be under 2000 lbs.  Then all you'd need would be a real reliable, well tuned 400 hp and that car would be stupidly fast.  And easy to work on.  And get better mileage.  And stop better.  And if the suspension was set up properly for the correct corner weights it would handle better too.  Hell, I bet even with another seat in it, the thing would still weight under 2 grand if you were smart about a few things.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 08:04:14 pm »
ahha my god its like you read my mind with what im doing to my car.... How the hell john.... HOW!? I just didnt know the weight difrance.
Then google.
Then ask.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 08:08:56 pm »
math is yer freind m'kay?   :D

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 08:38:55 pm »
god that will be wicked hell its wicked now. but then ill look back and laugh at my self typing this. :P
Then google.
Then ask.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 10:27:32 pm »
Yeah, John pretty much covered it.  There's lots of places to take out weight depending on how much you want to give up. 

Zach, my post might not have been totally clear but it says

"there's no reason a 1G shouldn't be able to weigh 2700lbs"  as in it should be relatively easy to get down to 2700lbs.  Like I said, and John elaborated on in detail, with some money spent and careful thought you could go beyond that. 

John, as for the black car I don't know, I'm curious but I haven't ran it over a scale yet.  On my list of things to do.  It's fairly gutted inside and I got rid of P/S and a bunch of brackets and hoses.  The SMIM is good for a number of pounds too, as are the wheels.  But full 3" SS exhaust and SS IC piping is heavy and so is the AT.  That's a real pig, I think close to 200lbs vs 100 or so for the MT.  Then it's still all steel, full glass, stock seats, big optima battery, rear wiper, ABS, big heavy rotors. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it was 2900 - 3000lbs with a half tank, no driver. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 03:23:44 pm »
awd 5spd trans is 125, its a pig too.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 07:53:53 am »
Okay, well still 75 lbs difference then.  If you don't believe me come over one day and lift one   :P   ;)  Now of course weight isn't the only thing to be concerned with because some of the AT guys are running faster ETs than the stick shifts at the same MPH.  *shrug*

I'm curious why no one has ever made new engine mounts, at least that I've seen.  There's a ton of weight in them between gigantic poly donuts and those dump truck frame rail pieces with balast welded on the side.  I've thought about messing with them but then there's the potential for the engine to rip em apart and try to escape captivity.  There's a lot of weight tied up in all those mounts though. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 02:10:24 pm »
yea I agree.  The 1g mounts are friggin huge ass cast iron, looks like recycled big block stuff from a 69 3/4 ton truck.

2G ones are aluminum on the frame side.

I think if that was a well engineered aluminum alloy piece it would be a huge improvement while still retaining rigidity and integrity. Plus it would be weight off the front of the thing, where its needed most.

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 07:11:13 pm »
more stuff

hood pins. No more hood flutter over 60kmh :-\ lol spooky

Some one stole my intake!!!!

john eat your heart out ;)

Then google.
Then ask.

Offline Jared Grant

fuckin sick zach, that hood looks amazing too by the way.
90 tsi awd. ssqv, tubular header, no cat.