Author Topic: Mission on friday, anyone?  (Read 5921 times)

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: Mission on friday, anyone?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 04:47:08 pm »
Remi, its always a good idea to run your car when its bone stock, and in good shape, for 2 reasons.  You will gain experience driving and just being in the staging lanes etc.  And I know, "you can drive" yea yea yea, its not quite the same as driving around the city, you will learn by driving a diesel Golf automatic for a few passes.

And secondly, you will want a base line for when you modify your car.  This way, if you get in 3 or 4 passes and you run a 15.2 average, then you go and put in a full exhaust, turn up the boost a bit and put in a good air filter, then you run a 13.8, then YOU know what that money and time went to on YOUR car with YOU driving.  Not comparing what other dudes did.

As for the rain, yea boo-urns for sure.  Give the track until about 3 or 3:30, they will make the descision then, its supposed to clear up.

Funny you say that; I've done some autocross and some rallycross but was never really into drag racing; but something about this car screams 1/4 mile...  I was curious to see what it can do stock but I won't push it for a while because it's still not 100% and at the moment I can't risk damaging what is currently my only car.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Jamie Oswald

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 05:27:04 pm »
Anyone down for coffee instead or dinner?

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 07:44:42 pm »
actually at the track, its no more stress on your car than a good hard run on the street, plus its safer.  Lots of people have a bad opinion of racing at the track.  Some think its for really bad people, some of our freinds thought of us in the same breath as people who beat up homeless people the first few times we went.

Also its not hard on your car, unlike autox, and rallycross.  Its just 15 second (or less hopefully) of hard driving, then you toddle on back along the side road to the pits.

That said, if you have coolant leaks, oil leaks, weak clutch, worn brakes or tires, old plugs, dirty filters etc, yea its not a good idea.

My car had over 220,000 on it when I first went.  I was very worried too, but it should be good.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 08:51:41 pm »
actually at the track, its no more stress on your car than a good hard run on the street, plus its safer.  Lots of people have a bad opinion of racing at the track.  Some think its for really bad people, some of our freinds thought of us in the same breath as people who beat up homeless people the first few times we went.

Also its not hard on your car, unlike autox, and rallycross.  Its just 15 second (or less hopefully) of hard driving, then you toddle on back along the side road to the pits.

That said, if you have coolant leaks, oil leaks, weak clutch, worn brakes or tires, old plugs, dirty filters etc, yea its not a good idea.

My car had over 220,000 on it when I first went.  I was very worried too, but it should be good.

Yea, i'm just nervous about it. I guess the other big factor is self-control; I've never had clutch problems, but i've only owned the car a few months and have no idea how old the clutch is, and I'm worried i'd cook it launching. Also, i do have a small coolant leak that I've yet to locate, although I just finally noticed that it's dripping off the oil filter area onto the crossmember, so I'm worried that's my waterpump.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 10:38:38 pm »
probably is, booooo.

Could be the small coolant line coming off the main pipe on the front of the engine that goes down to the oil cooler.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 08:19:00 am »
I was gonna drive out there untill my Shep stage 3 with 8000km/s decided to grenade friday morning on the way to work, not too happy about that considering when I first bought it he forgot to torque down reverse so I couldn't get it into reverse at all so out it came and sent it back. Don't think I'll be sending it back to him and deffinatly not recomending him, if it needs a full rebuild I'll be calling TRE.
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2008, 08:36:12 am »
wow, that is wierd huh!

Have you had a look at Jacks?  Cheaper than TRE for sure, and it looks like they do some serious stuff.  They do thier own machining and have some cool options too.

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 08:42:42 am »
i dunno yet Kevin and Phil might pull it apart today and have a look, I think the gear set is ok becuase it had the same jamming up and not moving issue in everygear  :D so maybe its a broken centerdiff or something like that we'll see
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 08:45:28 am »
Yea, Phil is good with these trannies too, so maybe just some parts and they build it for ya.  That could save alot of time

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 08:53:04 am »
oh for sure its not going anywhere I'm just gonna have Kevin bring in parts and have Phil built it I trust Phil's work he did an excellent job on my car the first time around the only things I have had problems with is stuff like this that I brought in.
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 02:29:23 pm »
We're heading to Mission tonight just to watch. Come say Hi if you see a blue Talon with AB plates.
Kristopher

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 05:28:59 pm »
damn I would have loved to but Im broke off my ass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.