Author Topic: FMIC KIT INSTALL!!! WOW!  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
FMIC KIT INSTALL!!! WOW!
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:37:24 am »
I sure am glad I got the kit I did.  Its designed for a evo, but it fits my colt perfect.  There are even the stock holes cut for the piping.  I couldn't believe it.  I had to drill two holes and cut a little out from the front grill areas of the bumper.  Plus I can mount my battery in the stock location again, I will be able to mount my windshield washer resivior once again, and I dont have to move my stock rad overflow tank!  WAAHHOOO.  We test fited the stock bumper and it fit quite well over the FMIC.  We are going to have to cut most of the middle section of the bumper support re-bar out though.  Oh well.  It should still look quite stock once it is installed besides a few shiny pipes and the shiney core.  Black annodizing would be nice ;)

I need a 90* coupler and 2 t-bolt clamps.  Thats all that was required for the install.

Definalty reccomend this kit to anyone.  Took me 1 hour to do this mock up.  I still cant believe everything fit so perfect.

Here are the pics.

A pic of with the bumper and re-bar off.  Still with the stock 1G SMIC mounted.

You can see where the stock hole is cut in the rad support area for the intercooler piping to fit through.  Never even had to trim the hole.

Here is the intercooler now firmly mounted to the front supports.

The routing of the piping.

All the piping on the inside looks like it will fit quite nicely with everything.  My UICP is at the shop right now getting a 1G BOV flange welded on, along with a N/A style throttle body "elbow" im getting fabbed up.

As you can see the hood closes fine and the piping doesnt interfere with the latch at all.

And here is how im going to arange my engine bay now. Im running the GM mas pass-through.  Ignore the missing UICP and BOV.  Everything should fit perfect when its together again.  I need a 3" coupler to go from the 3" GM mas to the stock airfilter can.  Im going to take the 1G mas right out of the filter.

Thats all for now! Ill post more when i get the UICP and everything final mounted and the bumper trimmed.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Matt Demick

Re: FMIC KIT INSTALL!!! WOW!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:11:24 pm »
friggin lucky man. but thas awesome to see something worked out for ya lol. so u gonna move ur GM Maf to just before your intake now?
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:32:37 pm »
whoa thats alota piping, I just hacked through my rad suport 4" hold for my 3inch piping but looks way more shiny then mine :P mines as dark as Al and stanless can get. ahah

Good stuff looks nice. Ill take a look and post tomorow If I can find a coupler or two laying around. 2.5? just pm me :)

looking forword to seeing it shine at the next big meet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:17:52 pm »
brett why are you putting your maf there why not behind the bov?
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:52:53 pm »
In not venting matt.  The GM mas ,aft is designed to run pass through like the stock OEM setup.

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:03:27 am »
ya and if its behind your bov its still running pass through, plus if you have a leak your car will still run,
I've just always seen it done that way
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 12:57:44 pm »
Does anyone have a 90 deg. 2.25 coupler? i need one!

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:04:14 am »
www.siliconeintakes.com  good guys, helpful, quick, cheap shipping and very good prices.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 12:52:04 pm »
i ended up just picking one up from kinectic this week.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 04:11:06 pm »
Well I got my UICP done today.

I will be doing final install tonight.  Ill have more pics up asap of it all together.

Its all in aluminum.  even the throttle body plate is 2.75" strait into the throttle body like a N/A style.

I need to clean up a couple welds and drill a couple holes to bolt the BOV on and its done.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:18:37 pm »
Well here are the pics of it pretty much done.  I have the bumper back on now.  I had to trim quite a bit from the front inside area of the bumper to get it to fit properly around the fmic and piping.  The front bumper was already scraped/rock chipped to hell so ignore it lol.  Anyways here are the new pics.

my custom aluminum 2.75" throttle body inlet.

My buddy grinding/cutting my re-bar to make it fit.  (what was left of it anyways lol)

Here you can see how much of the bumper re-bar I had to cut off.

A picture of the piping inside the engine bay.  I ended up fitting a thinner honda civic battery in the location where i had it before inbetween the UICP and the strut tower.  It fits perfect now and i can use the stock 1G airpipe and mas where I had it before.

Here is the dusty turbo colt with the bumper back on after cutting a bunch out of it.

Thats all for now! Ill post up some more once i get the 3" GM mas mounted in there along with the MAFT.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:03:14 pm »
the front of that thing looks ^%$#ing insane dude!
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 09:13:16 pm »
the one 90 degree coupler right off the turbo outpute pipe is fixed a little better.  it was a bit kinked up by the angle of the bend.  I might re-do it one of these days and put a hard pipe bend in it.  It might not be so bad as i figure when it boosts up that it will swell out the pipe and the kink will go sway a bit more.  It should be good to go hopefully.