Author Topic: Talon Progress *new pics page3*  (Read 4863 times)

Offline John Hartman

Re: Talon Progress
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 09:14:55 pm »
Fraser, did you have your block machined first?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 10:04:31 am »
Well I got my ARP's and my new headgasket.  Today is the moment of truth for this car.  Will the budget build prevail.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 12:35:14 pm »
In my case everytime I have torn apart a head I was upgrading something and the HG was good, so no. The head was sent out for a deck(check) and finish to match a MLS gasket. Roughness average of 50 or so , I do not remember.
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 05:49:03 pm »
but the block, was it done at one time or did you just clean it up with a razor blade the first time?  As well, are the metal gaskets reusable?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 07:47:15 pm »
I heard you can re-used the metal headgaskets.  Like 3 or 4 times MAX tho.  Just torque it down a little more each time you re-use it.

Anyways,  GOT IT RUNNING :)  The coolent temp sensor for the ECU (2 wires) was not getting a good connection and the car wouldn't start.  Jiggled the wire a bit and seated it better and it started right up! I did not know that the coolent sensor will give a no-start condition.

I just gotta fill it up with coolent now and hopefully no more white smoke out the exhuast.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 08:15:31 pm »
coolant temp sensor if its bad will tell the engine its like -65 out and it will flood it badly.

As for not putting coolant in first, thats not my idea of a good time.  I assume you just flashed it up for like 5-10 seconds?

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 10:40:38 pm »
thats correct, i dont think i even let it run for more then 5 seconds

But i filled it up with coolent.  What do you know?  massive white smoke out the exhuast again

CRY CRY CRY.   ???

same cylinder (#1).  I took the spark plug out and watched the coolent pool up into the cylinder  Something isn't right here.  The head is flat, I doubt the block is warped.  The head must have a massive crack in it... but i cant see anything

I dont get it

Another 8 hours of my life wasted.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 10:52:57 pm »
gotta be a crack in the head or possibly you pinched or dinged the gasket when you put the head on.  But with head studs its harder to do that.

BTW, that sucks  :(

when you get the head off, have it pressure checked at a qualified shop.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 11:01:13 pm »
Yeah i think im going to just get another head and throw it on there and see what happens.

I really doubt that the block is the problem.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 06:50:17 pm »
Well I finally got her running properly! I used a Hyundai Elantra head (1.6L) and put it on there. The head was $39.99 and it was $100 to pressure test my old head to see if it was screwed.  I opted to just buy the new head and try it out instead of paying $100 to find out my head is bad anyways.  Turned out to be a good idea!  No more coolant and white smoke out the exhuast, I guess my other head was cracked after all.  WAHHHOOOOO!  Im so happy now.  I dont even notice a difference in power with the 1.6L head and smaller cumbustion chambers. If anything I notice more throttle responce with the higher compression I have now. (8.2:1)

Here are a couple pics i snapped while working on the talon awd today.

This is before I started to take it apart.  It was snowing HARD outside to i pulled the talon into the garage to do the work.  You can see my Eagle Summit in the background.

This is while I was swapping the lifters, rocker arms, and turbo cams, over from the turbo head.

And here is the engine after I got the new 1.6L head bolted onto the 4g63t block.

Thats it for now.  I will post some more pics once I get it all assembled.  After taking the head off three times I got it to work.  Way too much work! I definalty do not want to deal with that again.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 08:28:06 pm »
Well here are the final pictures of it all done.  I drove it home from my parents house in Merritt to Kamloops today and it ran awesome.  Ran like a champ.  And dont worry I will be going to a body shop when I get the money to paint all the silver bottom areas all black. 

I have $1350 invested so far.

The interior will be cleaned and vaccumed soon!

And yes, I am about ready to shoot myself in the head with the current gas prices up here in Kamloops British Columbia.

Offline Mike Hewitt

Re: Talon Progress *new pics page3*
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2008, 08:42:38 pm »
That's beautiful! +1 for finding out that the Elantra head will work. And I'm LOVING the 1GA\1GB look...did it to the laser as well :)
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 09:07:25 pm »
I  remember back in the day when I was the only Talon with the 1ga front and the 1gb back.... sigh I guess it does look damned sexy so I can share...besides at least your cars are running. lol
04 Honda Cr-V yay boring boring boring car......

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2008, 07:35:55 pm »
Well the talon has been on the road for a whole day now! No problems except it blew a small coolent line (thermostat housing to engine oil cooler).  No biggy, had some 3/8th hose lying around and it was a quick fix. filled the coolent up and drove it home keeping the RPM's low and it was fine. Damn good reliability for a DSM ahaha. Good thing for the low coolent light or I might have not noticed in time and overheated it.  Its running fast as hell for just 7-8 psi.  I cant wait to crank the boost.

Offline Jared Grant

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2008, 09:43:29 am »
good work man, beauty car also.
90 tsi awd. ssqv, tubular header, no cat.