Author Topic: Talon Progress *new pics page3*  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Talon Progress *new pics page3*
« on: March 02, 2008, 02:42:43 am »
Well I figured I would make a post on the progress on the talon.  Here is where she is at now.

I got the old blown engine out (bent valves) and tranny that has blown syncros.  I also found out why I had a vibration when accelerating around 80 - 100 km/h.  The driver side CV joint that bolts to the back of the block had quite a bit of play in it.  I fired up the power washer and washed/brushed the huge amount of oil and dirt that had built up for 18 years!  Turned out looking a lot nicer.  I also removed the remainder of the A/C system that was in there.  Still looks messy with the wiring harness everywhere, but at least its clean now.

A closer shot of the engine bay

A shot of the master mechanic!

I will have some more pictures of the mess i made in my dads garage.  Parts laying EVEYWHERE.  I had to swap the 1990 intake manifold onto my 1992 engine as well swap the turbo over to the same engine.  Bolts and crap everywhere! oh well it will be cleaned up tomorrow.  I got the "new" engine assembled... put the new balance shaft belt, timing belt,headgasket, and installed my 6 puck stage 3 clutch with the good 92' tranny i have as well.  I had to swap the shift linkage on the tranny and drill a hole to make it work in the 1990, but it looks good so far.  Also i had to swap over the 1990 CAS onto the 92 engine to make it work properly.  Tomorrow the engine goes back in to the bay after i power wash the engine/tranny off real good.  Ill post pics if everything goes as planned.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:28:26 pm by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

Re: Talon Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 08:16:13 am »
first of all, good job  :)

But I wonder about the intake manifold, I was not aware that the 90 intake manifold was different.  The throttle body, yes, but the intake manifold?  Show us some pics of the two pieces, you may have something odd.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:01:02 am »
well yeah, ur correct, the throttle bodies is the different part.  I guess i could have just swapped that out....

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:21:20 am »
why the swap of the 90 CAS into the 92 motor? is the car a 90 and running a 90 ECU? i have a 90 block and head in my car and pretty sure i used the 91 CAS from the original motor.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:00:56 pm »
The 90 cas is different from the 91+ cas.  And yes... the car is a 1990 with a 1990 ECU.  thats why i used the 1990 intake mani.  I also had to mod the shifter linkage on the tranny to shift properly.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 10:01:52 pm »
More pics for you guys!

A nice mess i made of my dads garage lol

A couple pics of the "new" 4g63 im putting in.  I havn't actully seen this motor run, but it has 145 000 km's on it and it gets compression.  I took the spark plugs out and put the wires in the holes and turned the engine over and the plug wires went shooting right out of the holes.  I hope it runs good and doesn't burn oil or leak horribly.

Heres the engine going into the engine bay.  Went in quite easily.  Slid in 1st try.  I must be getting good at it i guess ;)

And here she sits with 3 of the 4 mounts bolted up

I got all the wiring/vaccum lines connected now as well as all the shifter linkage and CV joints are in as well.  I am waiting for a  t-case output shaft seal and my custom throttle body elbow to be finished.  Then i just gotta put the t-case back in, reconnect the driveshaft and put the radiator and the last bit of intercooler piping in and she should be ready to go!  Hopefully tomorrow I will have it fired up if all goes well

Heres a pic of what i had to do in order to get my 92 tranny to fit into a 1990.  The top arm just swapped in from the 1990 tranny but the lower arm i had to drill a hole and bolt the linkage together.  Dont worry i put some locktight on the nut so it wont come off.

thats all for now! I will post more pics tomorrow once i get her running!

Offline Jared Grant

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:10:51 am »
good job man. i didnt know there were so many differences in the 90.
90 tsi awd. ssqv, tubular header, no cat.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 07:52:23 am »
yeah, i noticed a few things.  My colt has a 1990 4g63t in it.. and this talon now...

Throttle body vaccum lines, TPS are different

CAS on a 1990 has a harness coming off of it instead of a plug like 91 -94

Tranny shifter linkage is different

Tranny to T-case shaft splines are different
( i just used the 92 t-case with my 92 tranny so it worked )

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 06:47:15 pm »
Well, the good news is you will have a short shifter now  :)  Its how I made my short shifter and its been working well for at least 4 years.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 07:56:54 pm »
i'll be doing this to my own car on Friday, so this is a helpful thread, nice to see some pictures too
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Dave Ingraham

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 09:33:19 pm »
I'm going through the same stuff on my 90.  JDM engine that I got from tiger japanese looks like it was sitting in a ships hull as ballast. 

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 11:23:32 am »
Well i got her started up last night! weeeeeeeeeeeeee  Runs good, no blue smoke on start up or when reving it up, Engine sounds to be getting decent compression,  Turbo spools up nicley when reved in nutruel, even with my massive fmic in there and all the piping.  I couldn't run it for more then like 20 or 30 seconds because there was no coolent in there as when i tried to fill the coolent up it all came pissing out the bottom of the timing belt cover!!  so i just drained it out and started it up to make sure the engine was good.  It would suck to do the water pump with the engine in the bay, get it done, and find out the engine was crap.  So outside i go again to remove the timing covers, timing belt and water pump.  Damn why did i have to put every timing belt cover on!!  arrg! lol

ill post more pics today of it all assembled.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 06:29:02 pm »
Well i went to take it out for its first drive with the new engine and it threw a CEL and ran like complete ass.  One second it seemed to be running fine, the next it would fall on its face and have no power.  I could hardly floor it at all.  It also was throwing the CEL just when it was idling.  Im off to go buy a analog volt meter to pull the codes.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 07:31:50 pm »
Well the codes are 44 and 31

44= ignition coil , ignition power transister

31 = knock sensor.

good thing i got lots of extra parts laying around.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 08:23:09 pm »
Well bad news.  Noticed a big puddle of coolent under the car.....  jacked it up, got underneath it and its not leaking from the engine.   Leaking from the exhuast flex pipe.  Also leaking somwhere from the manifold down onto the turbo.  Went to start the car...  and she hydrolocked for a second....  started up really rough and then massive amounts of white smoke out the tail pipe.

Blown headgasket, (probably not considering its brand new) OR a cracked/warped head.

I guess tomorrow will be spent taking the head off.