Author Topic: Random thoughts about club meets  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Jason Gilbert

Random thoughts about club meets
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:27:52 am »
After reading about the apparent fiasco's that happened at the last meet, I had some random thoughts in my head about the current status of car club meets. Especially ones that happen with vehicles percieved as owned by a younger crowd, and designed with street racing in mind, as our talons are.

Keep in mind I realize that I was not at the last meet, so I dont know what actually happened. Heres the random thoughts:

If a car club meets together, you have to realize that every thing you as an individual does, reflects on your club. Take it personally.

Perceptions are real, even if you dont agree with them. The police and public may percieve you as a group of street racers and treat you as such, until you prove otherwise.

If you drive your vehicle in state that does not confirm with the current laws and legislations, you are liable for fines and penalties. Even if you dont agree with them

If you operate your vehicle outside of the laws and legislations, you are liable for fines and penalties. Even if you dont agree with them.

Do you think that the police show up and "hassle" muscle car owners / club members as much as they do with sport compact vehicles? ( I dont consider the talon a sport compact, but there's that perception thing again)
I dont believe they do, and that would be because they probably conduct themselves in a mature manner.

Comments such as "Ill be drifting some corners" have no place on this board in regards to club meets.

There was a request to essentially plan secret meets via email and PM. Guys and girls, Im here to tell to you that is going in the wrong direction.

Thats it. Now, where do we go from here?
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 09:01:37 am »
Good post. :agreed:  :agreed:

"Secret" meets and "other" meets have no place on this board.  BC DSM has never supported street racing.  As far as the police looking in, well, when what you post is in a public forum you have to figure anyone who cares to look can see it.  Whether they are the intended audience or not.  Would you be mad if you sat in a busy coffee shop discussing plans to rob a bank then showed up only to find the police waiting for you?  This is really no different.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:31:18 am »
I think the best way to go about it is to embrace the police. Invite them out to all our meets, so they can see for themselves what a great group of guys we are.
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 12:47:08 pm »
Thats going in a better direction.... 8)
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline lyle chavez

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 02:47:45 pm »
Well, I think that the plan was, they would go to a parking lot at Cypress, and as far as I know, parking lots are no police jurisdictions. But if they they were racing or driving in the streets inappropriately then thats a different story. And not because they are of young age they are street racers, Police officers shouldn't be stereotyping, they are professionals, and they should know what to do( we can only hope).

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 05:14:12 pm »
did you just say parking lots are not police jurisdiction? tee hee  
 :roll:

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 05:16:16 pm »
Quote from: "lyle chavez"
Well, I think that the plan was, they would go to a parking lot at Cypress, and as far as I know, parking lots are no police jurisdictions. But if they they were racing or driving in the streets inappropriately then thats a different story. And not because they are of young age they are street racers, Police officers shouldn't be stereotyping, they are professionals, and they should know what to do( we can only hope).

One of my goals of this post was to get people to think about how they act when in a club meet situation. Also, a reminder of how wrong or right you think certain perceptions are, they will still be acted on as truths (perception is reality) You do not need to embrace this truth, just realize that it is.

I also do not want to single out one person.

Parking lots tend to be private property.
You can not as much be a hooligan, or act irresponsibly in a parking lot in a motor vehicle, as you could commit an act of murder. The police can come and inform you of rules/regulations, enforce laws etc. You just might get away with acting like a hooly in a car longer before there is police intervention. If there is large group, that will just attract attention sooner.

Young age does not mean street racers:
I agree, however, the youth will be watched more closely. Its just the way it is. But are they really seeing a young driver behind the wheel 1st and then decide to stereotype? Lets look at what might actually be happening:
Our cars attract attention, then, maybe the police see the N or L. Once again, they will be focused on. Then, because their attention is focused on you, if you break a law, you are rightfully reprimanded. My grey and white minivan will not be watched as closely as my "arrest me red" talon, regardless of my age.

Police should not stereotype.
Agreed. But really, see the paragraph above, for why a young person may be noticed. And notice that the car and actions are what is noticed 1st.

One more note about VI tickets. Keep in mind, that if you have a stock car, driven in the parameters of the law, the police would have a hard time singling anyone out for a quick once over. Using my Kia minivan again, I doubt it will be ever pulled over for a quick once over and issued a VI. My talon on the other hand has a louder exhaust and for a time had an external dump. That gets attention.

The police have a duty and responsiblity to the public to ensure motor vehicles are safe. If you stand out, you are asking for attention. If your car is given a a VI, maybe its obvious why. Maybe the police cant make a determination on the spot, so its off to inspection.

What does this mean for future club meets? Its not rocket science. You know how the public expects you to act, and you probably have a reasonable grasp of the laws. Even if you dont, ignorance has never been an excuse. This behavior should govern you privately, and when you are in a club, it should be even more carefully watched.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:23:20 pm »
Quote from: "Jason Gilbert"
Quote from: "lyle chavez"
my "arrest me red" talon

rofl

Offline lyle chavez

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 06:50:10 pm »
I dont disagree with what you were saying Jason. But like I said the police has no jurisdiction on parking lots. Parking lots are private property. If Cypress authorities agrees(which I think they dont) then playing in their parking lot is ok.

And Graeme read the post. I did not write that.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 07:59:13 pm »
Just finished watching Ricky Bobby....feeling weak....want last 2 hours of my life back....

Ok back on track. Real quick.."playing" in a huge snow covered parking lot
away from people..well, chances are no harm would be done.Common sense prevails there. I was mostly refering to populated lots in my previous comments.

And Lyle, I do think I know what you're trying to say about "no jurisdiction", but play this scenario out. You're up at Cypress, not harming anybody, and the police come and say something to the effect that you're on private property and you need to leave now. What would you do? Say no? Seems like most people would leave (some would grumble of course) but eventually they would go. Seems like precedence for their ability to enforce public nuisance, tresspassing, disturbing the peace, or whatever infraction might be going on.

This is simply another example of even if you dont agree with the rules, they are there, and for the most part work for keeping an orderly society.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:08:38 am »
you cannot go anywhere around here and be free from the police. they have federal jurisdiction. while we might be able to get away with meeting up at seymour at an empty parking lot and drifting, we cannot murder people there and get away with it. i think people are misinterpreting how police work. they can arrest you anywhere, aslong as you are believed to have done something "beyond a reasonable doubt." if we end up in a parking lot doing doughnuts, while we're still liable for any criminal activity, we would probably be left alone. they might come up and see whats going on but no charges would be laid.
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 10:26:14 am »
Quote from: "Shawn Park"
you cannot go anywhere around here and be free from the police. they have federal jurisdiction. while we might be able to get away with meeting up at seymour at an empty parking lot and drifting, we cannot murder people there and get away with it. i think people are misinterpreting how police work. they can arrest you anywhere, aslong as you are believed to have done something "beyond a reasonable doubt." if we end up in a parking lot doing doughnuts, while we're still liable for any criminal activity, we would probably be left alone. they might come up and see whats going on but no charges would be laid.

Thank you Shawn. Perfectly stated.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 08:10:40 pm »
actually it's Drew, i'm just using this guys acct cuz he isn't anymore.

but your welcome  :D
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline lyle chavez

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 11:08:53 pm »
Criminal laws and Traffic Laws are 2 different things. Arrest can be made if the police needs investigation, but they will always need a court order, not unless it is witnessed by the officer. The jurisdictions argument is about Traffic laws if I'm not mistaken.

Offline John Hartman

Re: Random thoughts about club meets
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 06:53:57 pm »
OK, so I didn't go to that last meet(thankfully apparently) but I have been to countless other ones, and NEVER ONCE has there been ANY trouble.  And we have had some fun on these drives too, trust me on that!!!

But its HOW you have the fun and WHERE you act like a dingus that makes the difference.  Out on a flat road in good weather, out in the sticks, where no one is around, letting it hang out a bit, not a big deal.  10 dumbasses letting thier bov's go, sliding around corners, generally being dinks, right in city traffic, is a big deal.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods