Author Topic: LED tail light retrofit teaser.  (Read 683 times)

Offline Jesse Veitch

LED tail light retrofit teaser.
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:15:58 pm »
Punished myself with another tremendous job, I fully shaved off the inside of my tails, well.. only one side so far.. at about 40 hours.. I could add this mod to the weight savings list too with the amount of material I had to take off.. if you've ever opened up talon tails, the reflector is cast right into the back of the lens.. (I'll be putting in a new one of different shape) took a while with a 36grit sanding wheel on a drill.. then days of hand sanding until this:

You can see the area around the reverse light I never removed.. I ordered 300 red/orange DOT approved lumileds superflux LEDs, and 180 DOT amber LEDs, high brightness, 70mA compared to your average 20mA 5mm LED that you're used to seeing.. designed for automobile use, and used in the OEM by BMW, Lexus, Merc... and on..

Marker lights will be dimmed by pulse width modulation, I'm also going to make the turn signals sequential by (most likely) using a decade counter.

Unfortunately I'm off to work for a couple months on tuesday.. so no more project until I get back.. but this is gonna be bad ass, I guarantee it!

I think I dare say I'm the only one with clear talon tails... in the world!

... more to come, unfortunately not very quick like though.

oh, here's a pic when I just got it flat, before the hand sanding, I don't have a pic before I started taking off material, but I'll take one of the other side before I take it on.

97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Kevin Chan

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:58:05 pm »
Finish it before tuesday or it'll be a long fogotten teaser! :laugh:
o___0"
98 UZS160 hovering on air

Offline Derek Fung

• STOP ASKING ME IF ITS TURBO!! YOU CAN HEAR IT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 06:23:28 pm »
as paris hilton would say, thats hot
2.3l fully built stroker. gt35r powered
12.126 @ 121.03

Offline Yas Jandric

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 08:22:05 pm »
Good job. But wont that make it to crack or break easy?