Author Topic: My DSM in the works  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Nathan Craft

My DSM in the works
« on: September 17, 2006, 12:54:34 pm »
hey guys i'm new here and it looks like a sweet place, i bought my 1990 Laser RS last year and i've started to do just litle things, really (cause that's all i can afford as a student)
sofar i've got rims, neogen rubber, gauges, audio, andthe side skirts and spoiler off a 93' tsi. wat i want to do is have a complete front end conversion into the 1Gb talon
lemmi know wat you think...

i admit it needs to be cleaned up tho...
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion
-AWD swap in progress :D

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline Ryan Slater

My DSM in the works
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 01:55:15 pm »
What are all those gauges?
92 TSI AWD-

Offline Osme Velic

My DSM in the works
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 01:56:07 pm »
Hoolie gauges batman....Other than the fact it looks like a fighterplane with all the gauges it looks pretty clean...Good work so far.
04 Suzuki SV650 :)
04 Ninja 250 stolen/stripped :(
05 BMW 325i :)
96 Talon AWD TSi SADLY sold :(
97 Cavalier sold :(
86 Civic sold :)
89 Accord CRUSHED :(

Licensed Automotive refinish Technican. PM if you are in need

Offline Nathan Craft

My DSM in the works
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:07:03 pm »
from right to left:
tach w/ shift light, water temp., oil press, fuel/air ratio.

i couldnt find a gauge pod for them that's why they're where the are.
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline Jared Grant

My DSM in the works
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:18:21 pm »
why is there a shift light on the water temp gauge? :?
90 tsi awd. ssqv, tubular header, no cat.

Offline Derek Fung

• STOP ASKING ME IF ITS TURBO!! YOU CAN HEAR IT!!!!
My DSM in the works
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 02:58:27 pm »
Quote from: "jared mike"
why is there a shift light on the water temp gauge? :?

most likely a warning light.
2.3l fully built stroker. gt35r powered
12.126 @ 121.03

Offline John Hartman

My DSM in the works
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 03:29:54 pm »
swapping a 1ga(popup headlights) to a 1gb with non-popups is a LARGE job as the fenders, hood, center section, and lights are different, as well as the bumper and marker lights are different as well.  IMO not worth the time.

You may want to get a TSi front bumper if you are into that sort of thing.  Much simpler and looks like you have a fast car just the same.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Nathan Craft

My DSM in the works
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 04:17:34 pm »
you're right derek it is a warning light
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Kenji Scott

My DSM in the works
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 10:10:09 pm »
Sweet lookin car :)

Your avatar appears absolutely massive on my screen tho lol, it takes up half my screen space  :shock:

Offline Jeetinder Ghataurah

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeetinderg
My DSM in the works
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 10:21:47 pm »
Quote from: "Kenji Scott"
Sweet lookin car :)

Your avatar appears absolutely massive on my screen tho lol, it takes up half my screen space  :shock:

Same here
color=green]Widebody 95 Talon AWD 5SPD - 6-bolt motor, Evo III 16G, Walbro 255, Centerforce Clutch, FMIC, Turbo RFL BOV, Black Leather & Green Suede Interior, 2 10" subs

The only difference between a genious and and insanity is success[/color]

Offline Rob Armstrong

My DSM in the works
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 11:10:29 pm »
I don't think its nearly big enough :wink:
When they say go big or go home...we know what you would deside :laugh:

Offline Nathan Craft

My DSM in the works
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 07:54:52 am »
ya i just noticed it.
 i'll fix that
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Matt Mann

My DSM in the works
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 11:03:52 pm »
Thats interesting setup..Overkill on the gauges? Hows the Type S sub sound? I've got 2 15" Type Rs and they are kiss ass. I do like the back end makes it different. and different is good rights boys!
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Nathan Craft

My DSM in the works
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 07:38:05 am »
acutally i am very happy with the sub, it kicks ass. currently i am swapping out the sony speakers and deck for a bunch of alpine stuff; deck, another amp, and 4 new speakers(all type s)
it's gunna rock. the next thing to do with the car is either alot of engine upgrades from Buschur racing or do some exterior work.
also i'll have new pictures this weekend from the road trip from kelowna, i'll make shure they go on here
oh and by the way no it's not overkill on the gauges, i'll need them when i'm done building up the car (whenever that is...) but i will find gauge pods for them tho (eventually)
thx for th input sofar guys
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Mike Schmid

My DSM in the works
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 09:53:11 am »
As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as overkill on the guages.  Some are unneccesary for a certain application and they can certainly be installed in some horrible looking ways but I don't think you can ever know too much about what the car is doing.  

The more real data you have the less guesswork you need to do when you're fixing a problem.  How many times have you read a thread about rough idle problems and you chase all over the TB checking on the ISC and TPS and coolant sensors and whatever when a FP guage would show that you're overrunning the FPR.  Or leaning out and knocking under boost (or worse) and people guess everything under the sun when a FP guage might also show that the FP is dropping off on the top end and not staying 1:1 with the boost.  

Furthermore, the more you realize how crappy all the stock guages are the more you want something decent.  The water temp and oil pressure guages are both junk.  My stock guage has two positions, on a good day, my aftermarket one continually moves with rpm and ranges from 10psi to almost 100psi, plus I can tell when my oil is a little low because I can see minor flucuations in the oil pressure.  Water temp is the same thing tho I haven't had an aftermarket water temp guage in a dsm yet, but I know from other cars the water temp will move up and down with the thermostat activity, not wait til the car is overheating to let you know.  The stock boost guage is obviously ridiculously useless.  We don't even have voltmeters and we're notoriously hard on alternators, most of which are also junk, the replacement ones that is.  My voltmeter has paid for itself probably 5 times on one tow bill alone.  

The speedo, fuel level and tach are the only decent guages and the tach is too slow to keep up with fast cars in the low gears.  

WB 02 is awesome for tuning.  It's almost a must have right after a real boost guage.  An EGT guage is great on a long uphill pull when you're hundreds of miles from home on crappy gas and you know when to back out of it before the smoke starts.  Trans temp is very important on a AT car.  Lately I've even been finding myself wanting a water pressure guage to figure out if I'm losing some coolant because I'm lifting the head and pushing coolant under boost.  

I have no less than 9 aftermarket guages on a shelf waiting to keep an eye on my investment.  The trick will be installing them in easy to view places without looking like ass, I've got that figured out tho.  Anyways, my rant is over, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*