Author Topic: alternator problem  (Read 302 times)

Offline raniela alberastine

alternator problem
« on: September 10, 2006, 01:33:33 am »
I have 92 tsi awd talon my car stalled before and the BCAA mechanic said it was the alternator problem.  I recharged my battery and it appeared in the voltmeter 11.35 volts.  I turn off all lights, radio, heater, etc. inside the car to test if the alternator will give more charged and i even rev the car to 1500-2500rpm but still the voltmeter appeared 11.33 and lower.  Many people said it's the alternator.  I'm just wondering if it's normal to this car to have below 12volts in the battery even the engine was running.
 like sports cars specially awd cars with turbo. I hope I can find a eagle talon or mitsubishi eclipse here in DSM.

Offline lance torkos

• http://imageautostyling.com
alternator problem
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 02:50:14 am »
no it should be around 13.7-14.5 volts at idle lower with lights and stereo but not to 11.5. Check to see if the alt belt is tight cause i had the same problem and it was cause the belt was loose. If that doesn't work and you have changed the belt then it's your alternator.

Good luck :)
008 lancer gts
90 tsi -parts depository!!!
Ummm..I'm lovin it!

Offline John Hartman

alternator problem
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 10:45:11 am »
these cars can idle with lower voltage, but once you rev it to even 1000rpm, it should definately have 13.5 + volts.

As said above, check the belt for correct adjustment, and if not, the alternator is probably done. Before you replace it, get the system tested at a good shop.  The test is more than just voltage, but amps and amps/volts under load.  This will tell you more.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods