Author Topic: Need help installing h2o injection  (Read 681 times)

Offline lance torkos

• http://imageautostyling.com
Need help installing h2o injection
« on: September 06, 2006, 01:11:34 am »
Like the topic states I want to install my new kl water injection system just have no instructions and Kimyee hasn't been able to find some for me.

Anyone have some time to help me out for food and beer on a sunday sometime soon?

Are there any supporting mods that I should do before hand, like evo 16g,  fmic or am I good to go?

Thanks,
Lance :D
008 lancer gts
90 tsi -parts depository!!!
Ummm..I'm lovin it!

Offline Kevin Park

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:36:13 pm »
I don't really think any supporting mods are needed to benefit from water injection except for a boost gauge, boost controller, safc(or other form of fuel controll), and a logger. You could just hook it up and leave everything as is and be able to run a lower octane fuel but that would be no fun.

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 08:03:44 pm »
Pack it up and sell it to me? :D  I'll give you more than you paid for it.

Offline Trevor Germuth

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 08:08:21 pm »
Ill give you $10 more than he will^^.
2 Talon Tsi- AWD, 6/4 bolt

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

91 JZA70 Targa Toyota Supra -3" Trust cat back, HKS BOV, 1JZ-GTE

1992 Ford F-150 - I6, 4x4, 5 spd, Canopy

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 10:24:24 pm »
hey Scott talk to me on msn I'll set you up with a Aqua Mist kit same as mine  8)
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline lance torkos

• http://imageautostyling.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 12:29:58 am »
Quote from: "Scott Girvin"
Pack it up and sell it to me? :D  I'll give you more than you paid for it.

Sorry man I'm keeping it, this thing is like finding a brand new 92 6/4 bolt awd with 0kms.....priceless!!! :D

Really though I would like to take full advantage of the setup so I will wait to put it on or maybe I will just add on parts later!

What do you guys think?
008 lancer gts
90 tsi -parts depository!!!
Ummm..I'm lovin it!

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 10:52:12 pm »
do it.  It will work on a bone stock engine both by lowering your combustion chamber temps and it will also steam clean your cylinders, valves, turbine blades, throttle body and intake manifold.

Do NOT use it if you have mild steel piping upstream of your nozzles.  The methanol will corrode them.

This will continue to "give" later on, as you upgrade.  the only thing you might have to do later on is use a larger (or a second) nozzle.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 11:54:22 pm »
so if I plan to use water injection down the road I should use SS uicp, good to know.
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Miles Frederick

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 01:10:48 am »
I bought an m8x0.75 tap for the nozzle when I installed mine, it should be around here somewhere.  Let me know if you need to make use of it and I'll see if I can find it  8)

For the water line route a bottle / washer fluid tank to the intake side of the pump, then outlet to the accumulator, then the accumulator to the solenoid, outlet of the solenoid will be the smaller diameter tubing which goes to the check valve and finally to the nozzle.

Install a switch, one lead to a fused source, the other lead run a wire to the hobbes switch (I believe the lead on the hobbes closest to the boost nipple is not used, so hook it up to one of the other ones not sure if it matters which).  From the same lead of your main switch run a wire to the trigger of a relay near the pump.  The out of the relay to the pump. And of course ground for the pump.  If you already have heavy guage wiring in the trunk, tap into that.

The other lead on the hobbes switch is wired to the solenoid and the other lead on the solenoid is grounded.

Yellow led wire comes from the out of the relay so it is actuated when the pump is on.  Led is hooked up through a resistor and the cathode side grounded.

Green led wire comes from the solenoid power wire after the hobbes switch, and again through a resistor to the anode side of the led.  The cathode lead of the led grounded.

That should do it if I'm not forgetting something.
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 10:01:35 am »
Quote from: "John Hartman"
... it will also steam clean your cylinders, valves, turbine blades, throttle body and intake manifold.

Last time I checked, steam running past white hot turbine blades was a VERY bad thing.  It causes massive pitting so either water injection does incredible damage to your engine or the water vapour reacts in the combustion to produce much much less water and doesn't actually steam clean your turbine blades.  Just nit picking.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 05:36:14 pm »
Jovan, you are probably right.  However, when I had my turbine housing off for porting, the wheel was very crud free and had no wierd erosion or pitting so I'm assuming its all good  :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline MaxPatten

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 02:26:52 pm »
Speaking of H20 injection, where did you guys get your kits? Was it locally or online and how much do they go for approx??
Or do you guys just build your own 'custom' kits with resevoirs/pumps/nozzles etc?