Author Topic: Powerloss, Bogging, Hesitation, and Bucking...{Updated}  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Jeetinder Ghataurah

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeetinderg
Powerloss, Bogging, Hesitation, and Bucking...{Updated}
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:19:06 pm »
Here's the engine mod list
-UICP
-EVO 3 16G Turbo (Wastegate gets + pressure from J-Pipe)
-I belive a Walbro 190 (I can hear it, also the previous owner had it but I'm not sure if he removed it when he totaled the car)
-Boost Gauge reads like 9
-3" Cone Air Filter
-NGK BPR6ES
-K&N Valve Cover Breather
-200,XXXkms

It spools up quick and nice but if I let off the gas under 4k in 1st or 2nd the car bucks.  Also when I rip it it pulls to like 4k then slowly goes to 5k then all of a sudden the power kicks back on and it rips it to 6k and the car starts bucking till 7k.

I thought the stock 2G BOV, plugs, or 91 superstore fuel might be doing this but the car does the same thing with the Turbo RFL BOV, BPR6ES, and 94 Mohawk gas.

When I changed my plugs from the old owners BPR6EGP I noticed (besides excess wear) the plugs were coated white.  After putting the new plugs in I took it for a drive with some boosting and when I checked my plugs today they were lightly covered with the same whiteish covering. I don't know what this means

I bought some Castrol injector cleaner that I will use when I finish this tank.  And I will get Frank or Kinetics to change my fuel filter in a week.

I shouldn't be hitting fuel cut at 9 even with and E316g.
color=green]Widebody 95 Talon AWD 5SPD - 6-bolt motor, Evo III 16G, Walbro 255, Centerforce Clutch, FMIC, Turbo RFL BOV, Black Leather & Green Suede Interior, 2 10" subs

The only difference between a genious and and insanity is success[/color]

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 11:05:53 pm »
The white color usually shows scary things

have frank or kinetic do a compression and leak down test

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:21:25 am »
:shock:

My car doesn't eat coolant or oil, and the car held strong when the previous owner had a 20G at 16, so I guess 9 and an E316G is no biggie.
color=green]Widebody 95 Talon AWD 5SPD - 6-bolt motor, Evo III 16G, Walbro 255, Centerforce Clutch, FMIC, Turbo RFL BOV, Black Leather & Green Suede Interior, 2 10" subs

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 02:19:59 am »
White means you're too lean. Please buy Chevron 94. Mohawk uses ethanol to get their octane up to 94.

"How do you read your spark plugs? Here are some guidelines. Install a new set and then go for one WOT pass down a back road. Now pull each one out (be careful not to burn yourself!) and look very closely. You want to see sharp corners on the electrodes and no "salt & pepper" on the center porcelain insulator (salt = tiny melted aluminum globs, pepper = carbon deposits that have "splashed" onto it). If the electrodes have sharp corners before a run and rounded corners afterwards, you're probably lean; add fuel. Salt and/or pepper is probably from detonation; retard timing, or lower compression. Cracked porcelain is definitely from detonation; retard timing, or lower compression significantly (such as with a headsaver gasket by Fel Pro). Real dark porcelain = too rich; take some fuel away. Grey porcelain = good; yellow porcelain = gasoline additives; rust-colored porcelain = 104 octane booster. "
copied from :http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/perform/recipe_b.htm
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:59:43 am »
Quote from: "Richard Steger"
Please buy Chevron 94. Mohawk uses ethanol to get their octane up to 94.

Mohawk, Husky, and Chevron all buy the same gas. Ethanol is not used to raise octane points, it is just an additive to the gas. Their 94 octane fuel is the same as all others. Don't state things you don't know about.

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 11:17:19 am »
I stand corrected.  I actually didn't know anyone other than Chevron sold a 94 octane in BC.  And I thought that Mohawk was big into Ethanol in their higher grade gasolines. Apologies :oops:
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:07:25 pm »
Well Robin, since I apologized before I did my homework, that should show I'm not vindictive, however the following exerpts from websites show that Chevron is NOT THE SAME as Husky/Mohawk.

http://www.myhusky.ca/husky_for_you/fuel/ethanol_blended_fuel/ethanol_facts.html#q3

"The addition of ethanol results in a higher octane rating for the blended gasoline. Husky creates its 89 to 94 octane "Mother Nature's Fuel" by blending up to 10 per cent ethanol with regular unleaded or premium gasoline. The higher-octane levels of ethanol-blended fuels are a boon to high-performance engines."

"Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Husky Energy Inc."

"Husky’s midstream operations are further enhanced with its light oil refinery located in Prince George, British Columbia, and its investment in the production of ethanol for blending with gasoline. The Company plans to become Western Canada’s largest producer of ethanol. It currently has an ethanol plant at Minnedosa, Manitoba and is building new plants at Lloydminster, Saskatchewan and at Minnedosa. In addition, Husky is also a major commodities marketer of sulphur, natural gas, natural gas liquids, crude oil, petroleum coke, ethanol and distillers dried grain with solubles, gasoline and diesel, and operates natural gas storage facilities and crude oil blending facilities.

http://www.chevron.ca/FAQs/FAQsGasolines.htm

"Techron® is Chevron's unique deposit control additive used in all Chevron gasolines to help your car perform at its best with lower emissions. Virtually every car on the road can benefit from using Chevron gasolines with Techron®. Only Chevron gasolines have the patented Techron® technology."

"Our head office is located in downtown Vancouver and our refinery is located in Burnaby. In addition, we operate a bulk fuel terminal at Hatch Point on Vancouver Island.
Chevron Canada Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of ChevronTexaco Corporation. Please visit the ChevronTexaco website for the latest investor information. "
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Jeff Armstrong

• http://www.bc.dsm.org
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 04:13:23 pm »
My Talon did this years ago.  Replacing the plug wires fixed it.  You can't go wrong replacing them even if it's not the issue.
3 Talon - Sold
LR Disco - Atleast I'm AWD now :|

Offline mitchell hamilton

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 05:14:19 pm »
Done a boost leak test lately?
90 Tsi AWD, 4 bolt LSD-Fresh rebuild
Eibach's, front-mount,ACT clutch,Wally 255,FPR, 3inch Turbo Back, In Black Cherry.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 06:07:24 pm »
I agree with Mitchell.  Sounds like a large leak that comes on at mid boost levels, dumps a huge amout of air and the results are shitty running and power loss.  Then when the boost falls off, the leak closes itself due to less pressure inside, and the car runs well again.  Then more boost builds, repeat...

Wires can't hurt however, especially if they are old.

Also check to see if there is water or oil in the spark plug well.  I had oil in my wells when I first bought the car, and it caused horrid misfire under load.  Pulled the wires out, sucked out all the oil, put on a new gasket and its been gone since.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 08:18:33 pm »
Well I clamped all of my IC pipes and my idle surge went away.

I checked from Lordco and new wires are $100

And the white marks = lean, I guess I should change the fuel filter since an E316G at 9 shouldn't lean on a 190 or a stock pump, so it must be the filter.

And Frank is on Vacation till the 24th so Kinetics it is.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 09:08:24 pm »
NAPA sells NGK wires for less than that, and they are great wires.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 10:08:42 pm »
i got my NGK's from lordco for like around $55.  those are for a 6 bolt engine tho so i dont know if the 2G talon ones are more exspensive.  Tell those bastards to give u a better deal and they usually will.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 12:18:48 pm »
Quote from: "Richard Steger"
Well Robin, since I apologized before I did my homework, that should show I'm not vindictive, however the following exerpts from websites show that Chevron is NOT THE SAME as Husky/Mohawk.

http://www.myhusky.ca/husky_for_you/fuel/ethanol_blended_fuel/ethanol_facts.html#q3

"The addition of ethanol results in a higher octane rating for the blended gasoline. Husky creates its 89 to 94 octane "Mother Nature's Fuel" by blending up to 10 per cent ethanol with regular unleaded or premium gasoline. The higher-octane levels of ethanol-blended fuels are a boon to high-performance engines."

"Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Husky Energy Inc."

"Husky’s midstream operations are further enhanced with its light oil refinery located in Prince George, British Columbia, and its investment in the production of ethanol for blending with gasoline. The Company plans to become Western Canada’s largest producer of ethanol. It currently has an ethanol plant at Minnedosa, Manitoba and is building new plants at Lloydminster, Saskatchewan and at Minnedosa. In addition, Husky is also a major commodities marketer of sulphur, natural gas, natural gas liquids, crude oil, petroleum coke, ethanol and distillers dried grain with solubles, gasoline and diesel, and operates natural gas storage facilities and crude oil blending facilities.

http://www.chevron.ca/FAQs/FAQsGasolines.htm

"Techron® is Chevron's unique deposit control additive used in all Chevron gasolines to help your car perform at its best with lower emissions. Virtually every car on the road can benefit from using Chevron gasolines with Techron®. Only Chevron gasolines have the patented Techron® technology."

"Our head office is located in downtown Vancouver and our refinery is located in Burnaby. In addition, we operate a bulk fuel terminal at Hatch Point on Vancouver Island.
Chevron Canada Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of ChevronTexaco Corporation. Please visit the ChevronTexaco website for the latest investor information. "

Dude, I own a husky gas station, with a chevron across the street. The EXACT same gas tanker that goes to the Chevron comes right to ours after to fill up our tanks, even our gas bills have a Chevron logo on it. Yes Husky/Mohawk gas is different, when they use it, but over here they don't since Husky has a contract so use Chevron gas, and in other areas it is vice versa. It is very complicated and doesn't really matter to this thread too much, so if you want to discuss it further we can do it via PMs.

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 01:49:50 pm »
Quote from: "Jeetinder Ghataurah"
And the white marks = lean, I guess I should change the fuel filter since an E316G at 9 shouldn't lean on a 190 or a stock pump, so it must be the filter.

"shouldn't" isn't something you should be saying.  I'm not the best t00ner in the world but I have enough experience to know that you give a car what it wants, not what it "should" want.

Also, if the white on your spark plugs is powdery, it could very well be coolant.  Ask me how I know :cry: .
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)