Author Topic: dsm still messed up  (Read 575 times)

shaun friesen

dsm still messed up
« on: August 11, 2006, 02:54:22 pm »
i'm starting from the beginning...  i did a 7000rpm launch and instead of going somewhere there was a loud SNAP (or bang).  i didn't hear any grinding or knocking so i babyied it home, but did noticed symptoms similar to that of a slipping clutch.  naturally i figured it was the clutch so i've spent the last 2 months getting a clutch and installing it.  got everything all together and went for a test drive and the problem is still there exactly the same.  ontop of getting slipping, there is also a lot of smoke coming from under the engine or transmission (can't see exactly).  i got the act2600 and the flywheel resurfaced and stepped to .610".  i'm thinking the next place to look is the t-case or transmission, although i checked them both when we had it apart and they seemed in really good shape.   any help would be great, thanks.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
dsm still messed up
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 04:01:36 pm »
Lot of smoke when?  What there any fluid around the clutch and bell housing when you replaced it?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Rob Armstrong

dsm still messed up
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:40:21 pm »
coulod it have been just a back fire mine did it for the 1st time lastnight and it scaed the hell out of me, I was really low on gas and cornering hard thats why  it did it,(I hope)

Chech your clutch peadle ajustment if it's hard to push in your clutch and wont get into gear. 12mm lock bolt then if you cant turn the rod by hand I would say its too tight and loosen it a bit.

sorry kinda wasted but trying to help I could be way off.

Offline Scott Girvin

dsm still messed up
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 08:43:41 pm »
The smoke is most likely from greasy hands on your downpipe during the clutch install. If I make it back from Kamloops earlier I'll take a looksy Shaun.

shaun friesen

dsm still messed up
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 12:23:16 am »

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject:
The smoke is most likely from greasy hands on your downpipe during the clutch install. If I make it back from Kamloops earlier I'll take a looksy Shaun.

i forgot to mention the smoke was there before we put in the new clutch.  soon as there was slipping, there was smoke.  there wasn't any fluids or anything in the bell housing, just a lot of fine black dust.

the new clutch is disengaging great and feels fine for pressure and everything.  its once the car is in gear and driving, and a bit of gas is applied theres slipping and smoke (even smells like burning clutch)

shaun friesen

dsm still messed up
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 03:57:36 pm »
so took the rear diff apart today and turns out i snapped the drivers rear axle.  the diff looks fine, gonna take it apart and clean it.  i'm not too sure if the clutch pack is ruined from driving a bit with the broken axle.  i'm also confused on why there'd be slipping.  went for a small drive without the diff and there was still slipping so i'm guessing its a powertransfer issue with the viscious coupling?

shaun friesen

dsm still messed up
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 12:39:33 am »
dsm fixed for the most part.  learned a lot, swore a lot, and payed a lot.  i figured out the smoke was unrelated to my major problem.  it was coming from the cracked oil return line.  also found out that i don't have a 4 bolt rear but a 3 bolt.  weird part is, its still a limited slip diff.  anybody heard about a 3 bolt lsd rear?  the act2600 is great and so far feels better then the cfdf but it diffently shutters horribly.  anyways, glad to be boosting again.  cheers

Offline Scott Girvin

dsm still messed up
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 08:30:21 am »
The clutch chatter will ease up a bit once the break in period is done. All 3 bolt rear ends are non LSD open diffs as far as I know. Gladd to see you got it running.

shaun friesen

dsm still messed up
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 10:41:25 am »
i'm dead serious about the 3 bolt lsd.  3 bolt cv shafts and there is diffently a clutch pack inside the diff.  theres also a "viscious lsd" label on the diff cover plate.  i'll try and get pics.

Offline mitchell hamilton

dsm still messed up
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 05:11:33 pm »
I have a lsd rear in my stock 90 awd
90 Tsi AWD, 4 bolt LSD-Fresh rebuild
Eibach's, front-mount,ACT clutch,Wally 255,FPR, 3inch Turbo Back, In Black Cherry.

shaun friesen

dsm still messed up
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 12:31:43 am »

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:
I have a lsd rear in my stock 90 awd

are your cv shafts 3 bolt?

Offline mitchell hamilton

dsm still messed up
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 05:16:45 pm »
From what I can tell yes they are.
90 Tsi AWD, 4 bolt LSD-Fresh rebuild
Eibach's, front-mount,ACT clutch,Wally 255,FPR, 3inch Turbo Back, In Black Cherry.