Author Topic: Engine Squeal and start up: Alternator belt  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Ryan Slater

Engine Squeal and start up: Alternator belt
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:27:44 pm »
So from using my trusty search button i belive that the loud squeaking sound i get when i start my car up in a cold morning is either from alternator belt or bad starter bearings. I have installed a stereo setup in my car, so i presume the extra load may by effecting the belt. So i gave it a nice tug tonight and the belt doesn't feel abnormally loose. I mean if i give it a tug i can get it to sway maybe and inch both ways. Is this the normal tension on the belt, or should it be very right in which my hands should not really cause much movement?
92 TSI AWD-

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 06:41:50 pm »
shop manual states 1/4" of deflection, so if its sitting level, and you push on it, it should only go down 1/4"

also, an old trusty rule of thumb with flat ribbed style belts is if you grab the belt with your thumb and first finger, and try to twist it, it should only go 90deg.  If it goes easily more, then its too loose.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Slater

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:36:12 pm »
Ok thanks. As well how do you properly tighten the belt? I was kinda of unsure of what bolt im tightening.  :oops:
92 TSI AWD-

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:16:49 pm »
you have to slightly loosen the alternator mounting bolts, over near the dipstick is one, you will see, just look at it carefully before you start.

then there is a mechanism at the drivers front of the alternator.  you loosen one part of it and then adjust the tension with the other.  then tighten up the mounting bolts again.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brian Doyon

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:54:00 am »
Its the alternator belt. I have the same problem and right now im just getting by with belt dressing as I havent had time to change the belt out, although as stated the process isnt that difficult
991 TSI AWD Silver On Black

Offline Ryan Slater

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 05:19:10 pm »
What type of belt dressing have you been using?
92 TSI AWD-

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 05:34:52 pm »
If you have a spare 5 minutes in a day you can tighten your alternator. Don't take long at all, and even I can do it.
04 Honda Cr-V yay boring boring boring car......

Offline Brian Doyon

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 08:09:46 am »
Im just using off the shelf motomaster belt dressing from canadian tire. Couple of sprays keeps it squeal free for about a week or so
991 TSI AWD Silver On Black