Author Topic: mmcdlogger vs pocketlogger  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
mmcdlogger vs pocketlogger
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:42:52 pm »
Anybody use both?  Somehow I doubt that the pocketlogger is worth the extra money.   But I could be wrong. :?

My plan is to mount the clie on the dash to act as a somewhat permanent realtime knocksum guage.

Elucidate me.   :idea:
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Trevor Germuth

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:20:31 pm »
Sorry bout my palm being dead there the other day Chirs.  I have had it on the charger the day I got back so its good to go now. I will be sure to make a trip out to Terrace this weekend or next and we can plug her in to your car and you can experience mmcd first hand. Not sure you if you know but you can have mmcd make an alarm sound for anything. I.E  Knock >4 or RPM =11,000.

In my opinion it is free (WOOT) and does everything a logger needs to.

Pm me if one weekend works better for you than the other and well arrange something.

Thanks and best of luck.
2 Talon Tsi- AWD, 6/4 bolt

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

91 JZA70 Targa Toyota Supra -3" Trust cat back, HKS BOV, 1JZ-GTE

1992 Ford F-150 - I6, 4x4, 5 spd, Canopy

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 05:37:03 pm »
Hey Trevor, What is an MMCD? How is it different than a palm running software with a cable? Thanks
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

Re: mmcdlogger vs pocketlogger
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 06:23:36 pm »
Quote from: "Chris Andrews"
Anybody use both?  Somehow I doubt that the pocketlogger is worth the extra money.   But I could be wrong. :?

My plan is to mount the clie on the dash to act as a somewhat permanent realtime knocksum guage.

Elucidate me.   :idea:

I would say that the main reason why you'd go for pocketlogger over MMCD would be because there's a company to back it.  Nothing beats having someone to call to get help if you're having issues with their stuff.  Obviously free software with no company backing can't do that for you. :wink:

I've used both and they're both pretty similar.  I definetly liked pocketlogger more and had more time with it so my opinion may be a bit biased.  It has an easier interface and you can set triggers and alarms which sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

Worth $100 compared to free though?  Not really.  If you can get a cable, just use the MMCD software instead.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Trevor Germuth

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 06:27:25 pm »
Richard.

MMCD is a program that one installs on a Palm and connects to the car via a cable.

Here is a link to the site if you are interested.
http://mmcdlogger.sourceforge.net/

Feel free to PM if you have anymore specific questions.

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

Offline Miles Frederick

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 10:03:44 pm »
I've been using one for just that for the past couple of years.  Running MMCD with the alarm set to 5 counts of knock.  Worked absolutely perfect for the task.  One complaint was the audio from a palm is not loud ehough to hear when listening to music.  

I have recently integrated a pc into the car, and as a temporary setup using the palm emulator running mmcd as a knock alarm.  Audio is much louder through the amps :)

Another option if you have an eprom is to setup a knock guage or knock light.  Either the check engine light can be activated or a separate led through one of the solenoid outputs.

My plan is to set up the purge solenoid circuit to trigger a buzzer and led in the near future.  That frees up the pc for other duties, and should be difficult to miss under any conditions.

Another freeware option for logging is pocketdyno.  It has some very nice features, but is not compatible with as many palms as the others.  Interface is simple and straight to the point, however it lacks alarm triggers.  Has a neat dyno feature as well.  http://home.meatchunks.com/~smaug/logger/index.htm
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 01:05:00 am »
Chris, have you tested out the software on your clie yet? I had a clie and it wasn't compatible, and had to buy a palm m100 or somthing crappy like that.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 08:46:39 am »
Thanks for the replies.   Andrew,  some clies are supported, some aren't. I have the N760C, which I chose for the color screen, and generally good reviews thereof. I've installed mmcd, and the program runs, but I haven't got a serial hotsync cable for it yet. I'm going to convert a USB cable, as described here. Both mmcd and pocketlogger have compatibility charts.

Jovan, I'm just needing a knock display, and yes, apparently it can be alarmed.  In terms of comprehensive logging, I still have TMO (which I paid top dollar for back in the "DAY",  which shortly thereafter, Mr. Day was abducted by aliens, and tech support ceased to exist).

Trevor, I got to see the mmcd software in action, courtesy of Kevin Seal, aka Maniac Driver Brother In Law.  But when I get it all connected, I might lean on you for some tips, like how to set the alarms.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Trevor Germuth

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 11:20:22 am »
Ah yes I remember that now.  Irreagardless I still plan on coming out there for no reason soon so ya.  We'll keep in touch.

Good luck making up that cable  :thumbs:

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 01:42:47 pm »
Quote from: "Trevor Germuth"
Irreagardless

Regardless... irregardless isn't a word. Puff puff pass.

Offline Trevor Germuth

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 05:41:42 pm »
Quote from: "Robin Toor"
Quote from: "Trevor Germuth"
Irreagardless

Regardless... irregardless isn't a word. Puff puff pass.

Yes it is.

Google it.

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 06:29:53 pm »
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/irregardless

From what I can ascertain, it's more or less a slang term.
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Trevor Germuth

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 07:31:29 pm »
hey man if it is in the dictionary its good enough for me!

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 01:09:01 am »
asserwhat? Stop usin dem fancy-ass words. This be a car interweb site!
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 10:03:09 am »
Supposably the word irregardless is unpossibly not a word.  Now I would search the libary for this paticular mischievious confusion of the spelling,  the proper word seems to be on the tip of eveyones tounge as its very simular to the correct one.

9 fantastic spelling mistakes in the above abortion of a paragraph.

BTW- Chris, MMCD is a fantastic tool, I used both formats and feel the latest version of MMCD is much easier to navigate and setup. No bugs or glitches at all.
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard