Author Topic: Preping for Aircare  (Read 828 times)

Offline Trev_Scott

Preping for Aircare
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:51:19 am »
Ok, so this will be my first time going to aircare (even know this is my third car). I have a few mods done as you can see below and need some help getting my baby to pass. :laugh:  
I’m already putting a stock downpipe and cat back in and all my plugs and wires are all new. I’m probably going to disconnect my wg actuator to keep boost down as low as possible and will correct my fuel trims. I will probably be using some kind of emissions reducer (any suggestions?) as well.
My only foreseeable problem is my egr system. Lately the ecu has been sending a CEL code at me "EGR flow error (p400 if I remember correctly)". It seems like it only wants to act up when it feels like it. Is this going to cause problems when I get the car tested?
This is all I can think of right now, if you have any questions or suggestions please let me know im on the 15th.
Thanks.
Trev
- 04 Audi A4 1.8t - (Slightly modded)
- 95 Tsi - Ported sbr mani with tial38, evo3 turbo/O2, 650's, aro afpr,
wineboro 255, 10.5x28x3.5 XS-PWR fmic, Type-s, MBC,
Apexi N1 DP/Exhaust, Maf GenII  3.5" maf, Pocket logger,
Innovate LC1, Stage3 eprom,  poly mounts, act2600/flywheel
BS removed *RIP

Offline Brodie A Thom

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:19:50 pm »
glad to see ur car on the road again...im in the same boat ur in first time aircare and im trying to think of everything possible to make it pass nice and smoothly. so start posting so i can read lol thanks
Car shopping

Offline Scott Ashizawa

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 05:41:29 pm »
Fill up with Mohawk 94, maybe use some injector cleaner with a tank of gas before you go(not while you go for aircare). Get your cat nice and hot, get on the highway before you go, keep your rpms up while your in line. Another thing that might help is to ask the tester to shift early and go easy on the dyno. If your O2 sensor is really old maybe try replacing that.
1992 Talon TSI AWD

Offline Brodie A Thom

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:53:39 pm »
i heard mohawk 94 doesnt help at all, its a myth if anything it reduces ur chance of passing? dont quote me on that but thats what i heard through the grape vine  :D  but thanks for the other info
Car shopping

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 02:20:49 am »
Quote from: "Brodie A Thom"
i heard mohawk 94 doesnt help at all, its a myth if anything it reduces ur chance of passing? dont quote me on that but thats what i heard through the grape vine  :D  but thanks for the other info

Then the grapevine is full of shit.  Mohawk uses more detergents in their gas as well as the highest concentration of ethanol gas which is much cleaner burning then most other companies (15% I think it was).
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Trev_Scott

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 09:54:14 am »
Quote from: "Brodie A Thom"
glad to see ur car on the road again...im in the same boat ur in first time aircare and im trying to think of everything possible to make it pass nice and smoothly. so start posting so i can read lol thanks

Long time no see man. How’s the car running?
Ya I think ill try the Mohawk 94. Injectors are brand new, same with the o2 sensor.
Is there anything I can do with my safc to help emissions? Should I retune for lower boost since I will be disconnecting my wg? What exactly do they do for the test? Do they go WO throttle?
Sorry for all the Q's I just want to pass the first time and get this over and done with.
Thanks.
Trev
BS removed *RIP

Offline Andrew Scott

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 03:08:37 pm »
If you really really want to pass, drill holes in your exhaust pre-cat

heh-heh
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Brodie A Thom

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 07:28:23 pm »
well then ill have to try mohawk 94, thanks for the heads up on that.

Trev_Scott     

Brodie A Thom wrote:

Long time no see man. How’s the car running?

cars running thats how i like it lol. ummm its good still waiting to install some new things and get rid of that damn lifter tick but all aside she's doing well.
Car shopping

Offline Miles Frederick

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 07:58:56 pm »
650's with an safc may be difficult.  Deadtime will be off which really affect idle.  If you have your stock injectors it may be worth swapping those in to be safe.

Regarding the EGR error, according to their website they only test OBD codes on 98 or newer vehicles, so the error itself shouldn't cause you to fail as long as the EGR is working.

People have passed well within the limits of nox without an EGR at all, so I wouldn't worry about it.  As long as it's not stuck open at idle or anything.
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Trev_Scott

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 09:28:08 am »
Quote from: "Miles Frederick"
650's with an safc may be difficult.  Deadtime will be off which really affect idle.  If you have your stock injectors it may be worth swapping those in to be safe.

Unfortunately I don’t have them any more  How does deadtime affect my idle? Do they test emissions at idol or do they just test idle speed? How would I go about correcting my deadtime?
Thanks
Trev
P.S. If I can get my hands on a set of stock injectors do I just swap them in and disconnect my afc?
BS removed *RIP

Offline John Hartman

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 06:59:14 pm »
I woudn't worry too much about the injectors.  I passed with NO EGR, 750cc injectors, a 255 pump and stock regulator.

Just make sure EVERYTHING is working well and tuned nicely.

Set your O2 trim(not fuel trims) so that they are 120 or 130% at idle and cruise.  If you have a wideband, or access to one, you can set it for 15-16/1 at idle and cruise.

Make sure your engine is not carboned up, your ignition is good, it runs smoothly and well, and does not smoke.

no boost leaks, good fuel, fresh oil change and believe it or not, wash your car.  If your car appears to be a big piece of ill maintained, unloved shit, the staff tend to not give a shit.  If it appears well maintained, they will try harder.  And if you don't believe me, thats up to you.  I've taken literally many hundred cars thru aircare as a tech and management at my last job.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Miles Frederick

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 07:24:59 pm »
I had a nasty time before the eprom, tuning with the 650's and the maft.

I've found that I had to richen the idle up alot to account for the deadtime and ended up with a horribly unpredictable fuel curve.  Now the safc does have greater resolution, so it may be something that can be tuned out.
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline John Hartman

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 08:48:22 pm »
see, I didn't know about deadtime, so I didn't worry about it  ;)

I just leaned it out till my O2 trace was in the mid 130's at idle and cruise.

Car idled well and had nice fuel economy.

with the stock regulator it was a crapshoot because it would be tuned nicely and then take a dive down to like 80%, and then back up, but I worked with it long enough to recognise that it was just the regulator being overrun.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Trev_Scott

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 11:52:55 pm »
:D
BS removed *RIP

Offline Trev_Scott

Preping for Aircare
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 11:21:41 am »
HAAHAHAHA I passed!!!! :D  :D
Took her through aircare today and passed with flying colors. Everything was below average, and i didn't evan use mohawk94, any emmisions reducer, or wash my car :wink:
I didn't think she was goina pass,  i feel like i just won the lottery!!
BS removed *RIP