Author Topic: New 17" rims& A couple of questions  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Scott Cox

New 17" rims& A couple of questions
« on: February 23, 2006, 02:26:33 pm »

Bolted them on and they just cleared the shock tower ext.And painted up the calipers.  8)

Ok my question is my cars new rims just clear the insides I mean just clear but it still sits a little to high for my liking, if I put lowering springs on will it will it interfere will the wheels?

Also the rims have cleared and I driven it a bit with them on with no troubles, last night I did a brake lathe on the front rotors and paint the calipers and now it makes rubbing nosies when I turn right??? I havent looked into to this yet but I find that werid.By trimming the rotors a tiny tiny bit smaller will that bring the wheels a little closer?
0 Plymouth Laser RS
04 Dodge SRT4

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 02:30:27 pm »
only if the mounting serface was machiened too, though I'm sure whoever worked on them knew what they were doing :wink:

Offline Cole MacDonald

• Cardomain
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 05:44:48 pm »
sounds like you may have just bent the dust shield in a bit. Nices rims too.
1990 FWD Laser 240 FWHP
1993 AWD Laser, 2.4L GT35r powered 562 AWHP
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
2012 Skidoo Summit X 800 E Tec 164HP

Offline Scott Cox

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 02:24:24 am »
Quote from: "Cole MacDonald"
sounds like you may have just bent the dust shield in a bit. Nices rims too.

good call, turns out my tire rod is a little bit lose and its pushing the dust sheild into the rotor. Time for some new tire rods
0 Plymouth Laser RS
04 Dodge SRT4

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 02:35:01 am »
Dude, if your gonna be dumping allot of $$$ into your car as it seems that you are, you might want to sell it now and buy a turbo model.
I'm not dissing your car, but just trying to show you the light. :wink:
Have you driven a turbo DSM or had a ride in one?
It's like night and day...clearly

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 09:06:54 am »
It's not always that easy tho Rob.  The price of entry for a good turbo car is much, much higher.  Plus once you start utilizing the power and building on it you either break stuff, wreck the car or lose your license.  

It also all depends on what you're into.  It's nice to think you can build a jack of all trades car but the reality is unless you want to dump a tonne of money into it it's not going to happen.  Even then it might not be real reliable and everything will suffer to some degree or another.  You have to decide what you want out of a particular car then do that and stick with it.  There's more to life than just going fast.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Stewart Anderson

• http://www.cartune.ca
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 11:27:12 am »
SICK RIMS!
how much did you pay for them + rubber?
985 Toyota Supra x2 -  Both Sold
1992 Mustang 5.0L - Sold
1991 Eagle 2000 GTX AWD - RIP
1991 Talon TSI - Sold
1989 Jeep 4.0L wagoneer - 4x4 beater
1991 Skyline GTR - New hotness

Offline Wayne Barbaza

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 01:49:05 pm »
how's it feel when cornering fast? 245's on 7" wide rims seems odd.

Offline Scott Cox

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 02:09:20 pm »
Ok..... 1. I have driven a Talon 2g tsi and loved the cars ever since, I got a steel on this car since it had some issues.Im looking into picking up a blowen turbo engine and rebuilding it and dropping it in, so the only thing ill miss is the awd. 2. I got the rims off this DSM forum http://www.labattz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13577&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= payed $400 and dusted off a set of used 17s at the tires shop I work at, worked out to about $500 3. I havent really pushed these rims yet since its bin wet out so I cant really say yet.
0 Plymouth Laser RS
04 Dodge SRT4

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 12:50:51 am »
damn dude those r some wide tires, my 00 gt stang has 245 also

Looks slick though  :thumbs:
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)

Offline Scott Cox

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 04:22:18 pm »
Quote from: "DarrylDhaliwal"
damn dude those r some wide tires, my 00 gt stang has 245 also

Looks slick though  :thumbs:

haha yeah there pretty meaty I bought those tires used, I plan to buy new smaller ones in the summer
0 Plymouth Laser RS
04 Dodge SRT4

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 05:44:47 pm »
Quote from: "Scott Cox"
Im looking into picking up a blowen turbo engine and rebuilding it and dropping it in, so the only thing ill miss is the awd. 2.

I dont think its that easy. But I'm sure someone smarter then me will let you know why :wink:

I think sandy vagina's analagy was best about turning a fridge into a stove. :roll:

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 05:46:39 pm »
Is it me or whole thing looks like it's ready for rally race? :)

Offline Wayne Wright

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 06:02:20 pm »
Listen Scott, hear what I'm saying cause I know.

Rebuilding a turbo motor and dropping it in your NA FWD Laser is a waste of money and time.

You will have major hassles, like having to aquire a new tranny...ECU, etc etc etc....

Then, once you drop G's on doing this, you will drive it for a month and wish you had AWD....

Just make your current car run good, and look pretty, then sell it to some chump who will by it for the pimpin wing. If you got a good deal on it then you should see a good profit anyways.

Then, go buy an TSi AWD of your prefered year and be happy you did....

I have owned a FWD Turbo Laser, rebuilt the head and swapped it motor into a TSi AWD shell....so it's your choice whether or not you want to take my advice, but trust me you'll just want more after you do all that...and if you just do it in the first place you will save alot of money.

Offline Scott Cox

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 03:13:53 pm »
hmmm I bin doing some research on this swap and it don't seem to hard, I apreshate the info and no I haven't done this myself but to take a complete rebuilt turbo DSM engine and drop it into a NT DSM can't be that hard.

Even if I did own a tsi I would still want to rebuild the engine with lightweight parts so I would be putting out money for that anyway.
And you don't need to replace the transmission just a stonger clutch witch my DSM already has.

ECU yes but I would like to run a lap top with the software for a microtec ECU so I can tune the fuel mapping from right in my car and run high or low boost ext.And also have it pluged into my deck so I can run Windows Media Player for my stereo.

And FWD is fine with me I would like to set it up for drag and get some slick tires to roast at the track to show all the V8s whats up  :twisted: plus it takes more skill to lanch a power full FWD then just hitting it in a AWD so im gonna have alot of fun with that, don't get me wrong AWD is freaking dope and I drove a AWD  but 2 wheels firing is alot of fun too.Plus FWD drifting too  :wink: used to do it all the time in my buddys CRX

Other than the engine and ECU (not including the trans.) what cost you so much?

-Scott
0 Plymouth Laser RS
04 Dodge SRT4