Author Topic: My DSM  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Scott Cox

My DSM
« on: February 01, 2006, 07:26:50 pm »
Some pics of my 1990 Plymouth Laser RS NT. The pictures suck since it was inside my dark garage, but ill get some better ones when the weather is nicer and some plates on the car. 8)

New Header  :D

0 Plymouth Laser RS
04 Dodge SRT4

Offline Trevor Germuth

My DSM
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 07:40:20 pm »
Very nice! Would like see a shot from the back.
2 Talon Tsi- AWD, 6/4 bolt

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

91 JZA70 Targa Toyota Supra -3" Trust cat back, HKS BOV, 1JZ-GTE

1992 Ford F-150 - I6, 4x4, 5 spd, Canopy

Kenji Scott

My DSM
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 09:09:19 pm »
Nice car
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:23:16 pm by Kenji Scott »

Offline Scott Cox

My DSM
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 10:47:34 pm »
:D thanks guys it looks real nice upclose in person, its Mike Schmid's old car.I bought it off the kid that he sold it to,I like the idea of the engine bay but it dont look as good upclose alot of that blue paint is flaking so ill have to redo alot of that properly.

The wipers and couple of covers were painted blue also and I dont like it at all so im gonna change that right away.I dont know what the spoiler is I bought it with the car and I don't think Mike knows eather but it looks awsome.

Whats wrong with fram?? lol Normaly I use K&N oil filters but theres almost 250,000kms on it and I plan to rebuild the entire engine this summer so ill use better brands then.
0 Plymouth Laser RS
04 Dodge SRT4

Offline Trevor Germuth

My DSM
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 11:18:52 pm »
I believe is it called a "Supra Style" spoiler.  I have seen them in alot of mags.  They also commonly go by the name of Scorpion.  There are many other names but these are the most common I have seen.  Excellent looking car once again.
2 Talon Tsi- AWD, 6/4 bolt

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

91 JZA70 Targa Toyota Supra -3" Trust cat back, HKS BOV, 1JZ-GTE

1992 Ford F-150 - I6, 4x4, 5 spd, Canopy

Offline Mike_Szmigielski

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/552920
My DSM
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 11:24:48 pm »
looking goooood!  8)
ife truely sucks....... enless you're rich

Offline Wayne Wright

My DSM
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 11:30:00 pm »
Makes me miss my Laser a lil bit.

Ahh...yeh, just a LIL bit. Now if it was AWD it would have been different, but I've always liked the no spoiler on the back of a 1g, and I do miss the highway pulls.

Lookin good man, reminds me of my car, massive wheel well gappage.  :wink:  :laugh:

Offline Scott Cox

My DSM
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 01:37:08 am »
Quote from: "Trevor Germuth"
I believe is it called a "Supra Style" spoiler.  I have seen them in alot of mags.  They also commonly go by the name of Scorpion.  There are many other names but these are the most common I have seen.  Excellent looking car once again.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but, it seems that it was made for a laser maybe...... because theres a small notch cut out for the antenna and it fits so nice and flush to the car.If it is a universal one then someone did a real nice job fabbing it.And yes some lowering springs are a high priority for it but im gonna need to slap some new rubber on it first,so there gonna have to wait  :(
0 Plymouth Laser RS
04 Dodge SRT4

Kenji Scott

My DSM
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 08:22:55 am »
nice
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:23:31 pm by Kenji Scott »

Offline Mike Schmid

My DSM
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 09:58:10 am »
I put almost 100k kms on that car with fram filters because they were good enough and I could get them in town.  Never once ever had a problem.  On my TSis I run the NAPA gold (WIX) or Purolator filters because they are better quality, if a hassle for me to get.  

The reason you might see a problem on a turbo, especially a modded one, is because the downpipe/o2 housing will be right there, hot as hell, and often without any kind of heat shielding.  But then if you run a turbo without any kind of heat shielding you pretty much deserve those problems, along with dead alternators, baked valvecover gaskets, high general underhood temps and everything else that goes with it.

There's no excuse for not checking the oil filter housing after the old filter came off to make sure the whole gasket cam off either.  More than one engine has been lost due to carelessness there and it's SOP in my garage.  

As for the spoiler I think it's a universal one that had the notch put in later.  When I repainted it, it looked that way.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Scott Cox

My DSM
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 03:15:20 pm »
I never had a problem with fram eather, but they do seem a little on the cheap side.I ran frams on my RX7 and rotarys get damn hot like super hot, and the gasket never baked on me or leaked or anything.

But I allways lube the gasket on the oil filter before I put it on.And at my work (Mechanics shop) i've seen all brands of oil filters bake to all cars, if that gasket wasent't lubed or if it hasent bin changed in a long time or both.And ones that do bake we have to crush them to get a good grip on it to rip it off.
0 Plymouth Laser RS
04 Dodge SRT4

Offline James Coutu

My DSM
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 03:26:57 pm »
i lost my 7 bolt because i had i fram oil filter on and it came off (believ it or not)  i vote garbage too
8 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD (6 bolt)
gt30r, AEM EMS, Aem Wide Band, Kinetic Front Mount, 272/272 Cams, 650 Injectors, ported 1g  Intake, tein flex coilovers w/EDFC, 3" turbo back exhaust, Tail 38mm Waste Gate, Balance Shaft Removed

Offline Rob Armstrong

My DSM
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 09:25:36 pm »
Nice car,, I wish I had a N/A for my daily driver

Quote from: "James Coutu"
i lost my 7 bolt because i had i fram oil filter

See good can come out of a fram.. it filtered out the junk (7 bolt)  :laugh:

Offline Wayne Wright

My DSM
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 10:01:02 pm »
Ouch.

Offline Mike Schmid

My DSM
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 09:50:10 am »
Don't get me wrong, I agree the FRAM isn't as good at filtering as some of the other ones but the other thing is real fine filtering media catch more junk and hence clog up faster.  What happens when your super duper fraction of a micron filter clogs?  It pops the relief valve and you all of a sudden have no filtering whatsoever.  Oil/filter changes at the proper interval is what's most important.  Then if you want to really filter the oil go the biggest filter you can and make it a good quality one.  

If an oil filter came off on a 7 bolt it's probably because the cooler unit was crushed because it was put on too tight.  Same old story with those water/oil coolers.  You can't blame that on the filter no matter what brand.  

I've changed alot of filters, 6 bolt, 7 bolt and otherwise and alot of brands of filters and never once ever had a filter back off.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*