Author Topic: Can't...bleed...clutch!  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Kevin Standeven

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« on: May 27, 2003, 09:58:31 pm »
First off, let's make this clear. I'm pissed off and hate my car :x

My clutch was engaging right off the floor, and wouldn't engage completely, so gears would sometimes grind a bit. I decided to drain and bleed the clutch hydraulic system to try and fix it. I drain the fluid (comes out almost black...), fill it back up, and try to bleed it. No matter how much we bleed it, even if there's no air left in it, the pedal pressure isn't firm and the clutch won't engage, even if the pedal is to the floor. What the crap. It used to work.

So I decide to replace the master and slave cylinders; my logic being that the master has always leaked a little, and it seems like some air is getting sucked back in around the bleed valve on the slave. I replace them, try bleeding, EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

So I check all my hydraulic line connections, put teflon thread on everything, and tighten it all up. STILL NOT WORKING. I can't see anywhere that fluid is leaking out of either. And another thing....the pedal pressure seems fairly firm, but after about 30 seconds it gets weak again.

Someone reccomended using a "ball bleader" to bleed it completely, in case I still have an air lock I can't get out. Apparantly, it hooks up to your tire and pressurizes the brake fluid through the system. Anyone know where to rent/borrow one, preferably around Chilliwack? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

I really need my car to work...now...I can only get driven and picked up from work for so long...
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Chris Clark

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 10:09:24 pm »
It took me almost an hour one time to bleed a buddies clutch. There would be no air come out one time, then I would do it again to make sure, but the air would start coming out again. Sometimes there would be no air for 3 strokes, but air the fourth time. It took a while but I finally got it.

Offline Scott Girvin

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 11:14:38 pm »
I bought a CT vacuum brake bleeder for 100 bucks used it, cleaned it, then return it. Works awesome.

Offline Kevin Standeven

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 12:31:18 am »
We'd do it for like 10+ times with no air at all coming out, and it still wouldn't improve :(

I'll wake up early tomorrow and buy a one-man bleeder kit and just do it for an hour or so, but I doubt it'll work. Any other ideas/experiences?
97 Talon AWD

Offline Vlad Busta

• http://www.members.tripod.com/Busta-bc
Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 07:01:46 am »
You could get  some speedbleeders from Lordco or something.  These work really well when bleeding brakes and the clutch.  They replace the 10 mm bleed bolt on the slave.  It's the same size as the 1G single piston brake ones.

All you have to do to bleed the slave now is to loosen the speed bleeder a bit and pump the clutch a few times.  When you want to test the clutch you just tighten it back up.

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Offline Travis Merrick

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 08:28:03 am »
When you replaced the master cylinder, did you bleed it before you installed it, you can get a lot of air out before you put it in by bleeding the master.  Where the line goes in put that plug in that came with it and put your hand over it, make sure its topped up with brake fluid and pump that biatch up, you will see alot of air bubbles in the resevoir, once you see none, hook it up to the line and everything.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Kevin Standeven

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 10:37:03 am »
thanks guys, I'll try both those things today. wish me luck...
97 Talon AWD

Offline Travis Merrick

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 11:13:18 am »
Kevin, where do you live, drop me a line, maybe I can swing by on my lunch to have a look, my lunch starts a 1:00

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Kevin Standeven

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 03:41:53 pm »
Thanks for the visit Travis. I tried what you said, just bleeding the master cylinder first, but no matter how hard we plugged the hole it just squirted around it. So I tried just hooking it back up again, and bleeding it for a long, long, long time...same problem. Pedal gets firm, wait a while...pedal gets soft. And even when it's firm, it's not nearly as firm as it should be.

So now I need reccomendations for a good transmission shop in chilliwack  :cry:
97 Talon AWD

Offline Travis Merrick

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 03:53:38 pm »
Kevin, there may have been a piece that came with it that screws in to that hole which is better than the plastic piece, I will see if I got that at home and will drop you a line, im not sure if i still have it, you could also try fining a bolt that will thread in and putting it in the whole, that is the main problem, my buddy had to hold that plastic piece in their DAMN HARD, used all of his weight against it and kept pumping.

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline John Hartman

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 05:45:33 pm »
Also make sure that you do not let the level in the master drop low enough to get air in it.

And make sure that you do it like this.

Tighten bleeder nut.  Push pedal to floor(all the way, hard pressure), crack nut loose.  Close it.  bring pedal up all the way.  

No pumping, and for sure do not let the pedal up with the nut open.

No disrespect meant, just trying to make sure you get it done.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Troy Simkus

Re: Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2003, 05:59:29 pm »
Quote from: "Kevin Standeven"
First off, let's make this clear. I'm pissed off and hate my car :x

see now there's the problem right there, first you need to take a moment, some deep breaths and approach your car with looove, just like mr burns all dopped up.  If she sees ya commin with a scowl on your face and uttering curses there's no way she's gonna cooperate. Trying a nice new air freshner or some dash cleaner or somethin.

Offline John Hartman

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 06:48:47 pm »
Yea Troy's right.

I forgot about the lovin.

These cars are all about the lovin.

Take ya weeks to get out one spark plug if ya go at it with a hate on.

Takes 6 min to remove a crankshaft if you are in the mood :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Kevin Standeven

Good news!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 01:54:34 am »
Finally, it works!!!
After bleeding the system in every way imaginable, I finally got pissed and offered my dad's mechanic friend a case of beer,  in exchange for borrowing a "pressure bleeder". It's basically a cap that fits on the resevoir on the master cylinder with a hose in it, and that hose goes into the bottom of a full bottle of brake fluid. In the top of the bottle of brake fluid is another hose, which goes to a pressure regulator set at 5~10 psi, and then continues to your car tire. So basically using the pressure of your tire, it pressurises a bottle of brak fluid and shoots it through the system. We tried it, cloudy black fluid came out (no air though, I'm guessing my previous FOUR DAYS OF BLEEDING got that out  :laugh: ), and suddenly it worked.

Tomorrow, it's time for wax. She deserves it for all the cursing and hating she put up with  :D

Thanks to everyone for their help!
97 Talon AWD

Offline John Hartman

Can't...bleed...clutch!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 07:08:30 pm »
Kevin, if you want to be at my house with a clean car by 5:00 I will be waxing mine too.  we can do it both of them, and I have some baddass wax :)