Author Topic: Meets in 2006  (Read 5760 times)

Offline Jason Gilbert

Meets in 2006
« on: December 27, 2005, 11:33:42 am »
So, what would everybody like to see as far as meets go this year? Maybe a thread like this would give a new events co-ordinator some ideas.

Although I missed alot last year, I would like to make more time in the upcoming year, so Ive been thinking of some things that would want to make me drop what Im doing to come out:

1. Cruises and meets, but Im not big into bowling type excursions.
Should be good long drives. Start early and finish late. Make the day of it!

2. I would lke to get together with some other clubs-stateside guys, with maybe a meetup halfway. Even an invitation fo them to come up!

3. I would really like to combine with other non-dsm clubs if possible. With the exception of riced out 16 year old "gangstas", I enjoy most other high performance cars and and it would be interesting to meet the owners. Ideas could include (just off the top of my head) MR2's, supras, even hotrods and collectibles I know these could be long shots, as some of these groups would not want us, but its a brainstorm session.

4. Plan ahead for get togethers at Mission Raceway. Heres one idea for non cruise get-togethers-Outings at MRP for some of the drag racing (non-street legals)

5. Annual FVT-but I would love to go farther this year-maybe keep on going beyond the Hope slide to princeton.

6. A meet halfway for our interior members. Its always a great drive.

7. I would like to suggest a planned island meet, but the ferry is damn expensive. That could be a barrier to our lower paid members. But if planned in advance, that might work!

Heres a few more:
BBQ's
Dyno days
Test and tune days at MRP

To our past co-ordinators, you guys did great jobs. Some of these ideas are not new, and have been done well in the past. I dont want to try to take anything away from you!

Also, what if some of these events were planned in advance, and posted in calendar form? That would allow planning for time off, a few extra bucks, or whatever.

Well, how are we going to make 2006 one of the best years yet? Lets hear your ideas!
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Kenji Scott

Meets in 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 12:58:22 pm »
I like the idea of combined meets once in a while.. good chance to broaden perspectives
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:12:28 pm by Kenji Scott »

Offline Jess Atendido

Meets in 2006
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 05:26:21 pm »
i like the interclub meet idea...i guess, i'm gonna have to put back my stock front again
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline John Hartman

Meets in 2006
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 08:14:17 pm »
pretty much in total agreement with the good Mr Gilbert on this one.

One of the most fun meets I've been to in the DSM was a meet where the Merricks and the Hartmans trekked thier sorry asses at 0-dark-30 to Portland Oregon and did a very cool drive and lunch with the NWDSM guys.  Drive home was late.

I have also been tossing around an idea about a 2 day meet.  Up the Fraser canyon, out to Salmon Arm and back around this way.  I did most of this road summer of '05 and it would be great fun with the club.

And I strongly agree about the interclub thing.  Its great to see what other guys have done and show some of them what we do.  This cross polination of creativity as it were is great for the scene.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Miles Frederick

Meets in 2006
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 03:40:40 am »
I'd enjoy an excursion or two, however I'm not sure how mine would hold up to a longer drive.  Also it may be a smaller turnout as it's difficult for many to organize time off.

The only thing I disagree on is regarding the bowling.  The last one was eventful (Whoosh) and enjoyable.  

I'd love to see a gokart track reserved for the group and have some races :)

Paintball ?

Some sort of an all dsm amateur autocross meet ?
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Jason Gilbert

Meets in 2006
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:36:19 am »
As far as things like bowling go, I know a lot of members like that sort of thing, and I do not think that as a club they should be excluded.

Just not my cup of tea.

One thing that might work better then in the past, is to put together a calendar of events, planned at least 6 months in advance. That would allow members to pre-plan resources (time, money, repairs etc)

Using past data, events would be known to be liked by the members, so although the month to month brainstorming that occurred in the past would not be happening, the event co-ordinator and members of the administration team could pre-plan for the club.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Mike Schmid

Meets in 2006
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 04:24:00 pm »
Jason, suggestions sound good   :)

I like the longer full day meets because for me any meet ends up being a full day commitment.  I skip a number of meets because the meet will often be shorter than the time it takes me to get there.  

BBQs are fun.  I'd enjoy some interclub meets, providing, like you mentioned that they are responsible clubs.  I've seen a few MR2 meets come thru my area, they seem like they'd be a good match.  I think a meet with some V8 guys would be fun but there's such a dumbass division between alot of the members in both camps that it might not happen.  Personally I love old V8 muscle cars and hot rods, there's alot more similarities between the two scenes than one might expect.  

I definitely think a pre planned calender would be great.   IMO The meet committee should look at the brainstorm threads, pick out the ideas they like and just plan them.  We don't need to wait for a consensus vote on each meet 3 days before the meet.  Just say, hey, that's a good idea and mark it on the calender and make the necessary arrangements.  If people don't like a particular meet they can wait for the next.  A schedule planned months in advance would allow for people with less flexible schedules to take the required day off.  Now this isn't to say the previous group of meeting planners didn't do a good job, they did, I think the meet planners just need to take more decisive action.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jeetinder Ghataurah

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeetinderg
Meets in 2006
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 06:34:33 pm »
Hey, I'm 17 now so am I allowed to come?

Nice ideas though.
color=green]Widebody 95 Talon AWD 5SPD - 6-bolt motor, Evo III 16G, Walbro 255, Centerforce Clutch, FMIC, Turbo RFL BOV, Black Leather & Green Suede Interior, 2 10" subs

The only difference between a genious and and insanity is success[/color]

Offline Jason Gilbert

Meets in 2006
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 10:32:12 pm »
Never an age problem in my book.  :D

Just attitudes.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Rob Armstrong

Meets in 2006
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 02:57:33 pm »
Quote from: "Miles Frederick"

I'd love to see a gokart track reserved for the group and have some races :)

TBC in Richmond is the best in the lower mainland. I have  been there a couple of times and it's indoor so we wont be out in the rain, and they rent the track out for such events.
You get time slips I really like this.
They are open fairly late aswell.

bowling is fun but hurts my legs.. :roll:

Offline Nick Walker

Meets in 2006
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 09:20:16 pm »
rob's idea sounds pretty fun, i've never done it before.
1997 Talon tsi awd

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

Meets in 2006
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 09:59:34 pm »
i'll second robs idea, i would love to go-karting and not getting rained out
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)

Offline Jeetinder Ghataurah

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeetinderg
Meets in 2006
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 01:29:18 pm »
I've tried setting several go-kart events at school, but it all screws up.

But i do like the go-kart idea.
color=green]Widebody 95 Talon AWD 5SPD - 6-bolt motor, Evo III 16G, Walbro 255, Centerforce Clutch, FMIC, Turbo RFL BOV, Black Leather & Green Suede Interior, 2 10" subs

The only difference between a genious and and insanity is success[/color]

Offline Mike_Szmigielski

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/552920
Meets in 2006
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 03:09:07 pm »
i like the BBQ and long drive ideas!
i never been go-karting though but that still sounds like fun!
i just wanna show off my car, you know, so i think i'm cool! :P
ife truely sucks....... enless you're rich

Kenji Scott

Meets in 2006
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 06:15:18 pm »
Go karting it is.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:16:05 pm by Kenji Scott »