Author Topic: MCCC treatment or not  (Read 356 times)

Offline Jason Gilbert

MCCC treatment or not
« on: May 24, 2003, 01:48:35 pm »
Its been a fix the talon week this week and I wanted to try to clean the combustion chambers to get rid of what I think was pre-ignition/detonation caused by carbon buildup. This in turn (I thought)would cause the timing to be pulled (sometimes) after the car warmed up.

Although my knock sensor had goo on the outside, @ $155.00 new, I wanted to try something cheaper first.

I decided to try shooting some water in there, with the car running, to steam clean everything. I didnt want to do the MCCC treatment because of cost and mess.

Well, after just one session, I can report a huge improvement! The car now runs strong all the time. No massive timing issues like before. I am looking forward to pulling the plugs and looking at the tops of the pistons to confirm the cleaning effects, but I feel this is a good option to MCCC.

Do this at your own risk. Spray too much water too quickly and you can do some nasty damage!
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline Kimyee Lai

MCCC treatment or not
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 11:12:53 pm »
Huh?  Cost and mess?  You don't HAVE to soak the piston tops in MCCC, although that is the more thorough way.  You can just spray it in, the same way you sprayed in the water, and it's about $7.00 from Chrysler, not as cheap as water, but cheaper than a meal at BK.  

If I was going to spray water into the engine I'd try to atomize it, i.e. use a bottle to spray mist into the TB elbow.

Offline Jason Gilbert

MCCC treatment or not
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 08:21:25 am »
Yeah the cost isnt bad but you still have to change the oil, filter maybe the plugs. Not huge but still...

I shot the water in through the vaccum port at the back of the intake mani. Slow easy shots with a spray bottle.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline John Hartman

MCCC treatment or not
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 09:46:46 am »
yea it worked wonders for me too.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Lore

MCCC treatment or not
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 10:37:48 am »
I don't think it really matters how you cleaned your combustion chambers.
Fact is not all of it blew out your exhaust and you're still adding more crap to your oil, which I would change anyway.....