Author Topic: Project sound proof...  (Read 858 times)

Andy Tong

Project sound proof...
« on: May 02, 2005, 01:59:27 am »
This is a discussion, How do u make a car that is sound proof from the inside. How do you get all those nosies out when u're driving, like tires nosies, and wind ect..

I'll be needing info from you guys to get this done. I wanted my ride to feel like a bmw but yet it's a dsm.

Offline Mike Meron

Project sound proof...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 06:43:34 am »
its called dynamat
it can be purchased at best buy in coquitlam and it comes in different sizes for different applications (trunk kit) door kit ect....

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
Project sound proof...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 08:59:16 am »
And as far as I know, it's not light, doing the whole car easly addss up 20-30 pounds.

Offline lance torkos

• http://imageautostyling.com
Project sound proof...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 10:56:09 am »
Here is something that you may consider trying. :D
I sound proofed my car by using a spray on bedliner. The cost was around $175 but It was way cheaper than using dynamat which was around $400, although i'm not sure how much bedliners are now as i did this 5 years ago.
The drawback of this is that you have to have a shop with an aircompressor. You can rent a spray gun from lordco and purchase the sprayon bedliner from them, they may rent the compressor too. If you are going to do this you have to remove the interior and wipe down everything with a degreaser or it willnot stick. When this stuff dries it doesn't smell and it's not sticky like undercoating, it is a rubber compound and is very durable and lightweight.

Warning be very carefull when spraying this stuff is very hard to remove, spray in even coats about 2 .  Make sure to let it dry for a day or so, after if you really want you can put some pink insulating foam inbetween the panels and the body. And If you are really nutz like me youe can purchase doublesided molding tape to put in between each and every plastic panels that touch.

After all is said and done it only adds about 10-15 pounds and is cheaper than dynamat, although dynamat is much easier to apply.

Now the bedliner alone will make a drastic change in the road noise but if you add the insulating foam it will virtualy eliminate it. I am by no means a veteran on this forum but i have been around the Dsm scene since 1995, just never part of bcdsm. I have done this to a few of my friends cars and it worked out great, i hope this info will be a help to you on your journey for the sound proofed car. :)

Good luck! :D

pm me if you need some more info. :?
008 lancer gts
90 tsi -parts depository!!!
Ummm..I'm lovin it!

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
Project sound proof...
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 01:48:59 pm »
Cool idea, thanks for the alternative thoughts, Lance.
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Andy Tong

Project sound proof...
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 03:51:39 pm »
God, you are a great help. thanks
Is everybody getting this? this Project is great. Gotta work on it.

Graeme Shaw

Project sound proof...
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 03:54:40 pm »
There's a group buy for Edead (dynamat-esque stuff) goign on at vwdov.ca.  The organizer (Toes, whose real name is Tony) is a great guy, I got 90 sq ft from him--and he's also gauging interest on the Edead v.3, which is the liquid stuff.  When layered (the sheets over the liquid), it's nearly three times as effective at noise dampening.  Not bad, eh?  Check it out.

Offline Kimyee Lai

Project sound proof...
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 04:47:59 pm »
Quote from: "Andy Tong"
Is everybody getting this? this Project is great. Gotta work on it.

For your sake Andy, just so you understand the majority of people on this forum, No, not everybody gets this, and most people will not think it's great.  I have no desire to tear out my interior to install dynamat.  I will however tear out my interior to inject structural foam to stiffen up my chassis if I determine it's a good long term solution.  Typically, a DSMer is more about tearing OUT the tar and the sound deadening to lighten the car.  Seriously, with an open O2 dump and 3" exhaust, does dynamat etc really matter? :).

Graeme Shaw

Project sound proof...
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 06:15:34 pm »
The Edead v.3 is $80/gallon (3.8L) in the VWDOV group buy.

Offline John Hartman

Project sound proof...
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 06:16:43 pm »
if you are more after ridding yourself of squeaks and rattles, you need to find what panels are loose and pad behind them.  You can put foam tape in a hidden area that will keep the panel from rattling against the metal.  you can put a small section of rubber pipe around the screw so that when you tighten it up, the rubber will insulate the panel.

Its time consuming and annoying chasing down rattles etc, but you can find em all if you keep on trying.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods