Author Topic: Phantom knock galore  (Read 1148 times)

Offline KevinBuckham

Phantom knock galore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 11:09:54 am »
Does this happen when the car is warm or only when cold?  (Or is it worse when cold.)

I doubt dead time compensation is causing your problems.  It will cause a similar "bogging" but it won't be because of pulled timing from knock activity.  (My injectors suck when cold.)

Have you looked for any possible sources of mechanical interference? Like a downpipe just barely hitting or vibrating against the oil pan.  Or something similar causing metal on metal vibration or contact?  

My seemingly quiet 3G style lifters often set my knock sensor off when cold.  My solution was simple - DSMLink.  Just turn off knock detection below 20% throttle and less than say 3200 RPM.  Problem solved.

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
Phantom knock galore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 12:13:38 pm »
Hmm... DSMLink lookin better and better ...

I find the problem is more evident when the car's HOT.
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline KevinBuckham

Phantom knock galore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 03:47:29 pm »
Quote from: "Andrew Steele"
I find the problem is more evident when the car's HOT.

I guess that does point to either "real knock" or something mechanical (rods, bearings, or external to the engine metal to metal contact etc).  It also suggests to me that it's not lifters either.  Most times lifter noise clears up with oil temperature.  

It might be possible that you have a wiring problem (poor ground) that will induce more noise with increasing temperature (electrical noise is proportional to resistance and temperature).  (Kind of a stretch because the induced noise should be white noise and I *think* the ECU windows the noise in frequency and bases it's knock detection off the background noise threshold outside that window?...)

This problem is well beyond my realm of experience.

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

Phantom knock galore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 05:33:06 pm »
Quote from: "KevinBuckham"
Does this happen when the car is warm or only when cold?  (Or is it worse when cold.)

I doubt dead time compensation is causing your problems.  It will cause a similar "bogging" but it won't be because of pulled timing from knock activity.  (My injectors suck when cold.)

Have you looked for any possible sources of mechanical interference? Like a downpipe just barely hitting or vibrating against the oil pan.  Or something similar causing metal on metal vibration or contact?  

My seemingly quiet 3G style lifters often set my knock sensor off when cold.  My solution was simple - DSMLink.  Just turn off knock detection below 20% throttle and less than say 3200 RPM.  Problem solved.

For me, this happens in all rpm ranges when it's cold.  When it's warm, it only does it from about 2000 to ~3500 rpm and ANY throttle position.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)