Author Topic: started teh car today & all i see is problems.. anyone h  (Read 1566 times)

Hans Ma

started teh car today & all i see is problems.. anyone h
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 10:52:07 am »
Quote from: "Zak Mach"

hey robin.. im pretty new to engine work.. but i have basic knowledge.. to take off the valve cover.. is it as easy as it looks.. just like 7 or 8 bolts right.. im just afraid.. that if I do it ill end up messing other thing up like timing, or whatever..

another question I know when working on engines some bolts need to be torched with a torch wrench.. if i take the valve cover off .. do u i need a torch wrench to put it back on??..

yeah i would like to know too.

Offline Zak Mach

• http://www.imvasian.com
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 12:01:30 pm »
does anyone know if I can get another battery from canadian tire under warentee?? ive only had the battery fo under 8 months.. the sticker ontop of the battery says 18 months replacement.. but i lost the reciept.. damn.. problems..
dont really want to spend another $300 to replace a $300 battery i just bought.

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 12:15:49 pm »
give the battery to Can Tire they will recharge it for you for $15

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 01:31:45 pm »
Quote from: "Mike Meron"
hey robin the idea of starting the engine from time to time is to prevent the main and rod bearings from loosing all the oil between them and the crank, when this happens the bearing will stick to the crank and "spin" thus the saying i spun a rod bearing or spun a main. by starting it you allow a fresh supply of oil to enter the journals and prevent dry starts from the engine sitting too long. its the same reason why i spin up an oilpump on a fresh block just to help prevent dry starts and spinning bearings

Good point. I usually disconnect my coil pack and crank the motor over before starting until I see oil pressure. When I see oil pressure I know the motor is nice and lubricated, so I plug the coil pack back in and start it up.

Quote from: "Zak Mach"
hey robin.. im pretty new to engine work.. but i have basic knowledge.. to take off the valve cover.. is it as easy as it looks.. just like 7 or 8 bolts right.. im just afraid.. that if I do it ill end up messing other thing up like timing, or whatever..

No you will not mess anything up, it is as simple as it looks. Take off the 7 or 8 bolts and pull off the valve cover. Sometimes it's hard to pull off so you will have to really yank on it, then replace the gasket. As long as you don't crack the valve cover it's all good.

another question I know when working on engines some bolts need to be torched with a torch wrench.. if i take the valve cover off .. do u i need a torch wrench to put it back on??..

No you do not need to torque any valve cover bolts back on. When putting the valve cover bolts back in, just tighten them by hand so they are snug, do not tighten them to much as they will easily crack the valve cover.

Worse come to worse if you do crack the valve cover you can buy a new one for cheap. I probably have one somewhere.

Offline Wayne Wright

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 06:18:07 pm »
I just wanted to add to what Robin said. Don't over tighten them valve cover bolts, those covers really like to crack, not right as you tighten them, but after when you go for a drive, and the it heats up, expands, and Crack.

Snug is the right word, just snug that's all.

Offline Zak Mach

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 08:57:15 pm »
ok everythings fixed.. thanks everyone for the help..

took the valve cover out & replaced the seal..

brought my Excide battery to o Canadian tire, got them to test it & it was dead!! so they pulled up my old reciept & replaced the battery for a new one FREE!.

smoke was prolly from old gas in the tank.. i had less than a quarter tank of old gass.. went to Cheveron filleup with some new 94 & now its running better than ever..

dropped the top.. too a long drive to Washworld in surrey & now car runs good & looks good..

only problem to fix is i need a new power inverter.. all 6 TVs are working but no way to power the PS2..

Can alwayz depend on u guyz to help a brother out.. thank you..

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 09:12:57 pm »
Power inverter can be bought from Canadian tire for cheap. That's what I use to run my PS2.

I'm suprised you came to surrey and I didn't see you, I'll have to look harder next time.

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 10:00:26 pm »
If you store a car, also put some stabilizer in your gas.  Store it full with stabilized gas.  The gums in the gas stays dissolved and the full tank prevents any tank corrosion/condensation.

Offline Zak Mach

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2005, 12:11:41 am »
acually i live in surry.. right next to hwy 1.. fraser heights area.. i think i live near some bcdsmerz.. I alwayz run into a black 1g.. most of the time im in other cars & dont bother waving cuz the doods gonna think im some weirdo... waving..

learnt a couple things this time..

when storing ur car ..
- unplug the battery
- get some stabilizer for gas

Offline Dilvinder Grewal

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2005, 07:47:41 pm »
how much the valve cover gasket cost... and did u replace the sparkplug ones also??? lordco is charging me 65 bucks for both, good deal or ???
997 Eclipse GSX

Offline Wayne Wright

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2005, 09:41:42 pm »
I was quoted 50$ from lordco a year ago, then 35$ at bakers through my VIP account. They're are outrageously overpriced.

Maybe ask around, someone might have a VIP somewhere, to get it for ya a little cheaper.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2005, 10:25:03 am »
That's about what Lordco charges for them... That's an expensive gasket.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jack Palmer

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2005, 10:20:23 am »
just FYI, crappy tire is having a sale on digital intelligent battery chargers until april 29th. $49.99 with a 5-year warranty on them. it has 3 settings, including a trickle charger and it also has a tester on it. reg price was $75 so i think it was a pretty good deal. the surrey store was out but they have to give you a rain check if they dont have it in and it is still on sale. just tell customer service you want the sale price on the item out of stock. they also are having a sale on inverters but i didnt look much cause i dont need one.
I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time....
97 Eclipse Spyder GS-T