Author Topic: How much ATF do I need?  (Read 315 times)

Offline Ryan Cheung

• http://www.members.asianavenue.com/veilz
How much ATF do I need?
« on: March 02, 2005, 12:03:47 pm »
This is clearly a noob question but i cannot seem to find the answer for (even with searching the forums)...

How many litres would I need of automatic tranny fluid for a 98 GST?

Thank you in advance. :)

Offline James Coutu

8 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD (6 bolt)
gt30r, AEM EMS, Aem Wide Band, Kinetic Front Mount, 272/272 Cams, 650 Injectors, ported 1g  Intake, tein flex coilovers w/EDFC, 3" turbo back exhaust, Tail 38mm Waste Gate, Balance Shaft Removed

Offline Kimyee Lai

How much ATF do I need?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 03:57:45 pm »
It's an AT James.  That page does not apply to ATs.  Ryan, quick answer is..."It depends" :).

What does it depend on?  Good question!  A complete fluid replacement should be in the region of 7-8quarts.  If you just open the two drains on the AT, you'll typically get ~4-5quarts or so out.  The rest is held in the TC etc.  If you want to flush the TC too, you have to disconnect the AT cooler return line, put one end of a hose on the return line barb on the tranny and put the other end of that hose into fresh AT fluid.  Put the return line coming from the cooler into a bucket.  Start the car, and keep topping up the fluid until the fluid going into the bucket looks new.  While you're at it, get someone to row through the gears, holding it slightly at each gear (with your brakes AND parking brake ON ofcourse!).  That's a full flush.  Do you NEED to do it this way?  Not really.  Is it better.  Most definately.

While you're at it, you might as well drop the pan and change the filter.  Make sure you get a filter kit that comes with a cork pan gasket.  I find they work better than the neoprene ones.  Last thing, when tightening up the pan, remember which bolt comes out of which hole, and remember it's only 8 ftlbs!  It's barely more than hand tight.  If you go any tighter you WILL bend the pan and cause it to leak.

Good luck.

Offline James Coutu

How much ATF do I need?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 05:23:05 pm »
sorry im not all here today.
8 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD (6 bolt)
gt30r, AEM EMS, Aem Wide Band, Kinetic Front Mount, 272/272 Cams, 650 Injectors, ported 1g  Intake, tein flex coilovers w/EDFC, 3" turbo back exhaust, Tail 38mm Waste Gate, Balance Shaft Removed