Author Topic: VI regulations  (Read 694 times)

Offline Nathan Friess

VI regulations
« on: February 21, 2005, 04:28:19 pm »
Anybody happen to know what Vehicle Inspection regulations say about side-exit exhaust.  Because I know some places say it has to exit in the rear.  Just wondering if its prohibited to have a side-exit.
Thanks,
            Nathan
5 TSI AWD - a few little things here and there
90 Colt 200gt - 4g63T swap, FMIC, SSQV- SOLD
90 Talon TSI AWD- RIP(I still love you baby)

Offline Scott Girvin

VI regulations
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 05:37:44 pm »
the only thing I could find( from VanIsland Traffic Services)

" The majority of problems with exhaust systems after noise usually consist of loose, broken or missing parts. Your vehicle will be rejected for these reasons, as well as having a cutout installed (muffler bypass), if any part of the exhaust system is closer than 48 mm to any part of the fuel or brake system or any combustible material and is not protected by shields, or could burn an occupant while entering or leaving the vehicle.

The tailpipe must be terminated so that exhaust fumes are expelled beyond the outside perimeter of the vehicle, and the termination must not point upward."

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
VI regulations
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 06:07:40 pm »
Skidpark (internet pseudoname of a local police officer) once said something about not being allowed to be in such a place that it can cause burns to anyone entering or exiting the vehicle, but I have no more details of this, or a definitive law.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Dan Canvin

VI regulations
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 06:12:22 pm »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"
Skidpark (internet pseudoname of a local police officer) once said something about not being allowed to be in such a place that it can cause burns to anyone entering or exiting the vehicle, but I have no more details of this, or a definitive law.

What about older model corvettes that have side exhausts?

Offline Matthew Giene

VI regulations
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 06:24:04 pm »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"

It is Skidmark and he has a forum (With other police officers) on BC4x4.com

Take a look there, I am sure the questions has been asked.
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

Offline Andrew Scott

VI regulations
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 06:44:36 pm »
Skidmark is on revscene too I'm pretty sure.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Jesse Veitch

VI regulations
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 08:20:47 pm »
lots of older ford pickups have side exit too... I don't think it's illegal
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
VI regulations
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 08:46:53 pm »
I know at mission side exit exaust is ok as long as it is past the driver and passenger seat.

The Roush mustang and Ford Lightning come stock with side exit exaust, so I'm sure it's legal.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
VI regulations
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 09:01:57 pm »
Sidepipes are not illegal, they just need to be positioned accordling is what I got from that.

But anyways, I have found it.  Section 7.22 of the MVA.

The exhaust system shall not be located so that a person may be burned when entering or leaving the vehicle.

So for your own well being, and descrease the risks of problematic VI's, you may be interested in that Nathan.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Mike Schmid

VI regulations
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 10:07:19 pm »
Just a FYI, most sidepipes that run down the rockerpanel aren't exposed pipe.  They use a decorative/protective heatshield, usually chrome so you can't directly touch the hot exhaust pipes.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Emerson Thomas

VI regulations
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 10:15:21 pm »
I heard somthing about exiting behind the farthest opening window, so behind the drivers window. i had it on my red colt, way too loud.
-1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg RS 4G61T white.
3" S.S. Turbo back, 13g, greddy E-boost cont, SAFC, 60mm TB, 1g smic, 1g maf, e prom, koni yellows w/ GC coilover, C10 swirlies with Falken azenis.
-1991 Tuxedo Talon TSI AWD auto, stock
-2001 RUF Boxster 6spd
-1995 toyota mini truck

Let boost be with you..
..and bring some timing too

Offline Nathan Friess

VI regulations
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 10:38:07 pm »
Wow...thanks for the responses guys.  Aswell as the links, etc.  At this point its just speculation whether I'll do it or not.  Especially since right now money is a little tight.  For now I'll just leave it as is.  Because its sure as hell working  8) .
Thanks,
            Nathan
5 TSI AWD - a few little things here and there
90 Colt 200gt - 4g63T swap, FMIC, SSQV- SOLD
90 Talon TSI AWD- RIP(I still love you baby)