Author Topic: Clutch Problems  (Read 471 times)

Offline lyledowney

Clutch Problems
« on: February 06, 2005, 07:46:37 pm »
Hello everyone, I am looking into an issue that I had with my clutch system this morning. When I went and warmed up my car (because I am in Alberta) I tried to put my foot on the clutch and I heard a weird noise. I tried to put the car into first gear and it went in fine. Then I tried to let the clutch out and the car did not move or anything it just kept running. I do not know what the issue is or how to fix it. If someone would be able to help me figure out what the issue is and how much it would be to fix it that would be great.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
Clutch Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 10:58:36 pm »
Does it do it if you put it into second too?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline lyledowney

No movement at all!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 05:32:01 pm »
I tried to put it into different gears and nothing happened. It does not make any noise or anything...the engine just runs. If anybody has a idea of what this could be could you please help out? Thank you for your help!

Offline John Hartman

Clutch Problems
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 05:55:38 pm »
lemme see if I have it right.

If you put your foot on the clutch, and put it in gear, and then let out the clutch, nothing happens?

Does the clutch feel normal when depressing it?

its gotta be disengaging, or you couldn't put it in gear.

It  DOES actually go into gear right?  Not just the shifter handle moving?  Cause if the cable(s) have come off one of the levers etc, you could get these symptoms. YOu'd push the lever into what would be first gear and let out the clutch, but it will still actually be in neutral.

Also this could happen if the lever arm came off the stud that attaches it to the internal parts of the tranny that shift it.

Have someone put it into gear(engine off is ok) and watch the lever on top of the tranny to make sure its actually in gear.  The lever(if you don't know) is located on the top of the tranny, near the front, at the passenger side of the engine.  Its behind the air inlet.  If you have a 1g turbo anyways.  if its n/t, same location, but the air inlet shouldn't be blocking it.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline lyledowney

Clutch Problems
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 06:07:21 pm »
Thank you I will try to look into it when the sun comes up tomorrow. I don't know if it is going into gear but the shifter is moving into were first is. Thanks I will look into and get back to you tomorrow. Is getting a  cable job expensive? My clutch pedal feels like it does not have any presure when pressing it down but when I lift it off it jumps right up. I don't know what that means but it could help us figue out what is going wrong.

Offline John Hartman

Clutch Problems
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 06:16:58 pm »
the cables you can do yourself.  If it just fell off, you put it back on and make sure it stays there.

If the clutch is foobed, thats a couple of bucks.

BTW, what temp it is out there right now?  I ask because when I lived in Grande Prairie, and the temps took a nose dive all sorts of wierd shit would happen mechanically.  Can you put it in a warm garage somewhere overnite and try it again?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline lyledowney

Clutch Problems
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 06:28:13 pm »
I don't have a place to put that is warm(BTW the temp is -12 today which is warm but it gets around -20 at night). Does any body know a good place to buy a clutch and how much it would be? Thanks for the information....I will try to figue out how to put on the cable...do you know a good guide I could find on the internet to help me out with that information.

Offline John Hartman

Clutch Problems
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 06:36:48 pm »
seroiusly, you don't need any help if indeed it is the cable that has come loose.  Unless its broken, you won't need a new one.  Just fit it back on.