Author Topic: making a 1g rwd?  (Read 1202 times)

shaun friesen

making a 1g rwd?
« on: February 03, 2005, 11:32:29 pm »
okay, i'm a huge drifting fan.  i love the sport.  i also love the traction of awd.  so i was just wondering, cuz i know its possible, has anyone on here tryed to make their awd a rwd?  removing the axles wouldn't be a big deal but i'm wondering what else would have to be done.  also wondering, once my dsm was a rwd would all the power from 4 wheels be in the 2 back wheels or would there be power transfered to the front still? and would the stock drivetrain handle being rwd?

its just an idea i'm running in my head right now.  just wanted to see what the pro's have to say on this topic.  any advice is appreciated, and i acknowledge using the word "drifting" on this site might mean i'll get flamed (chance i'm willing to take :D ).  thank you

Offline Mike Schmid

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 11:40:17 pm »
If you're thinking about simply disabling the front axles it will work but not for long.  You can weld the center dif then just disassemble the front axles and keep the stub shaft on the outside and the same on the inside to keep the oil in but it won't last more than couple days at most before you blow up the rear end.  

The rear end in these cars is really puny for a 3300lb vehicle.  What saves it is it's AWD, not RWD.  When it starts to see 100% of the hp and torque ouput it won't last long.  

Now of course you could fabricate a new rear frame, build a tranny tunnel and rotate the engine 90* with a fabbed up front end.  But you'd have a big expensive waste of time because you would probably have a solid rear axle and a powerglide 2 speed auto because the only moderately easy fab job like that uses drag parts... and in the end you could have just bought a 240sx and if you really really wanted to, dropped a 4G63 in it, and you'd be time and money ahead.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Scott Girvin

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 06:23:00 am »
I think Mike hit that right on the button.

http://www.dynotuned.com/josh.wmv

The guy in this video, if I remember correctly, welded his front center diff and welded frost plugs in the axle holes on his transmission(he was using a spare transmission). He was trying to blow his 3 bolt rear end before he was going to install the new 4 bolt(lsd) rear end he had.  I believe it only lasted for a couple days.

As Mr. Schmid said, its not a very cost effective idea.  :wink:

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

Re: making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 06:44:49 am »
Quote from: "shaun friesen"
okay, i'm a huge drifting fan.  i love the sport.

Please don't call drifting a sport.  It's the figure skating of the automobile world.  :P
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Mike Schmid

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 03:07:29 pm »
Thanks Scott, and yea, the was the video evidence I based my post on.  I couldn't remember if that was a 3 or 4 bolt but either way, the 4 bolt isn't *that* much stronger.  

That and a tranverse mounted engine, running a transverse mounted tranny, then turn a corner into a longitudinal transefercase then back thru some U joints and whatnot and into a dif that turns the power again is just horribly inefficient and pretty mickey mouse way to build a RWD.  

If it worked it'd be fun and easy to do but it won't.  Otherwise guys wouldn't bother backhalfing their cars then fabbing up engine mounts and tranny adapters to drag race them as RWDs.  

You could always put a seat in the hatch and rig up some pedal and shift extenders and a pulley setup for the steering and have a rear engine RWD out of a FWD DSM.  Red Green Style!   8)  So what if you have 5 reverse gears and 1 forward.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Matthew Giene

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 03:19:50 pm »
So, let me sum up what has been said here.

Yes, it COULD be done.  It will probably not work for very long, if at all.  And if is was even remotely easy to do, there would be tons of people doing it.

My 2 cents....The only place you need to drift a car is when you are Rally Racing, in which case, having AWD is much better than RWD.   :)

PS.  You are right, as soon as the word "drifting" is mentioned on this board, automatically 50% of the people think of Rice, and not the Uncle Ben's kind.   :wink:
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

shaun friesen

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 07:45:46 pm »
PS. You are right, as soon as the word "drifting" is mentioned on this board, automatically 50% of the people think of Rice, and not the Uncle Ben's kind.

i don't understand how drifting would be any relation to "rice".  i always thought "rice" refered to pimped out honda's and any car that was redictlessly over done with gay exterior mods.  i dunno how many of you guys have watched drifting movies but there is a lot of skill involved.  i only wish i could drift like some of those guys.  theres always constant braking, gas, braking, full gas and steering like a mad mother :laugh: .  but anyways...  not flaming anyone, just confused.  maybe the term "rice" needs to be defined....  ?  but i dunno.

and thanks guys for the helpful info.  hehe..  didn't know there was so much to it but i suppose thats the reason i asked.  the awd is great and when i get bored of coming out of corners doing mach 3 (probably never :D ) i'll think about a 240sx instead of chopping my dsm up.  thanks again

Offline Mike Schmid

Re: making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 08:04:23 pm »
Quote from: "Jovan Ceklaj"
Quote from: "shaun friesen"
okay, i'm a huge drifting fan.  i love the sport.

Please don't call drifting a sport.  It's the figure skating of the automobile world.  :P
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Scott Girvin

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 02:46:12 am »
OMG :shock:

shaun friesen

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 10:57:42 am »
haha..  thats what i'm talking about!! :shock:

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 06:08:26 pm »
RICE: (my way of defining) someone that put some thing on a car that dosen't belong on that car.
EXAMPLE 1: putting a honda emblem on a acura or the other way arround, even through an acura has a honda engine.
EXAMPLE 2: Putting a body kit on a car that didn't come stock or factory on or with it.

Now that's what u call a DSM. I wanna race that (LOL)
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)

Graeme Shaw

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 06:10:46 pm »
Quote from: "DarrylDhaliwal"
RICE: (my way of defining) someone that put some thing on a car that dosen't belong on that car.
EXAMPLE 1: putting a honda emblem on a acura or the other way arround, even through an acura has a honda engine.
EXAMPLE 2: Putting a body kit on a car that didn't come stock or factory on or with it.

Now that's what u call a DSM. I wanna race that (LOL)

So Mike Meron's a ricer with the K-car?
Tsk tsk tsk...

Offline Jesse Veitch

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 07:40:27 pm »
everyone's got their own definition of rice, some body kits are tasteful, some aren't, I think rice mods are attention getting mods, rice stuff is stuff you want other people to see or hear that has little or no functionality, would a bodykit constitute this? it could, some kits (not many) do actually have performance advantages.... weight loss, but even some that don't still look good without being rice, it's the gotti in your face look at me shit... like 8500k HID kits  and big wings.... some people mod and drive their car because they love it, other people mod and drive around cause they love it when people look as they go by... anyway to each their own, just don't mind me if I'm pointing and laughing....
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

shaun friesen

making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 11:02:17 pm »
everyone's got their own definition of rice, some body kits are tasteful, some aren't, I think rice mods are attention getting mods, rice stuff is stuff you want other people to see or hear that has little or no functionality, would a bodykit constitute this? it could, some kits (not many) do actually have performance advantages.... weight loss, but even some that don't still look good without being rice, it's the gotti in your face look at me shit... like 8500k HID kits and big wings.... some people mod and drive their car because they love it, other people mod and drive around cause they love it when people look as they go by... anyway to each their own, just don't mind me if I'm pointing and laughing....

well put :D

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
making a 1g rwd?
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 11:15:28 pm »
Rice

n.
A cereal grass (Oryza sativa) that is cultivated extensively in warm climates for its edible grain.

The starchy grain of this plant, used as a staple food throughout the world.

tr.v. riced, ric·ing, ric·es
To sieve (food) to the consistency of rice.

This thread is done.  Well done.  Personally,  I like basmati the best.......
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8