Author Topic: Intake leak somewhere? turbo?  (Read 424 times)

Offline Kevin Chan

Intake leak somewhere? turbo?
« on: February 11, 2005, 08:46:26 pm »
now I know I know, but I did the searches already.. but I need help asap since it's already at night...

Here's what, My car's running fine and today I noticed the turbo sounded different... instead of a smooth no restriction ssssssshhhhhhhhh  sound, I got a ssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiii sound.. just like you use your mouth and blow air and using your mouth and teeth closed blowing air....

Sounds also like boosting and leaking air together... but it runs fine, kinda. It boosted fine, but I didn't floor it today since I don't want to blow any pipings before I got home.

When I got home, checked all pipings and made sure they are not loose, checked shaft play, 0, but oily in the intake, well, I was expecting that. But the thing it I saw the compressor blades turned into white. :?

And for the first time ever, I hit fuel cut. 1st gear from 3k, floor and cut at around 5k. boost set at 15, and it came to 14, it climbed slowly up as expected and up to around 16-7, then it cutted.

I then went to lower the boost to 13, runs fine, but sound's still there.
When I got home, I noticed that slight burning smell, it's not the clutch. I'm afraid it's the centre carterage.

Also, when I lift throttle, there's a jurk, just like how it feels when I vented the BOV.

I'll try so see if I can make a intake leak tester tomorrow after work, but where can I find the tire stem valves?
o___0"
98 UZS160 hovering on air

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 08:49:24 pm »
Good on' ya for DIYing; any tire shop will have stem valves, or any mechanics shop that installs tires.  Just find the closest one, they shouldn't be too much.  Though they may look at you a little funny.

Offline Kevin Chan

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 08:52:25 pm »
Quote from: "Graeme Shaw"
Good on' ya for DIYing; any tire shop will have stem valves, or any mechanics shop that installs tires.  Just find the closest one, they shouldn't be too much.  Though they may look at you a little funny.

Oh then I think I can grab some off my Chevron's shop, and the mechanics wont be here so. hehe :twisted:
... hel, I'll test it there tomorrow then, since I gota work from 6am-1 tomorrow. :P
o___0"
98 UZS160 hovering on air

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 07:58:49 pm »
I cut a stem valve off of an old leaky bicycle tire tube. Cheap as free.
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...