Author Topic: porting  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Paul Chernoff

porting
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 03:40:45 pm »
Get one of these and a air die grinder, makes quick work of it, its how i did all mine.

Offline Andrew Scott

porting
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 05:32:07 pm »
Quote from: "marke bailey"
I thought I'm supposed to leave the deflector part in the collector?

I knife edged mine (make them thin and sharp)
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
porting
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 09:04:43 pm »
Quote from: "Andrew Scott"
I thought I'm supposed to leave the deflector part in the collector?

I knife edged mine (make them thin and sharp)

I think the deflector is used to seperate the exaust flow from cylinders 1 and 4 with 2 and 3. I don't remember why this is good exactly but I do remember you are supposed to keep it. I think it was either Lowell or Ryan Lore who explained why in a thread a while back.

Offline John Hartman

porting
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 09:59:14 pm »
something to do with keeping the pulses togeather I think.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mike Schmid

porting
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 11:16:34 pm »
Regular header design involves plumbing so that the exhaust pulses from the different cylinders meet up with the right timing.  It's something to do with the vacuum behind the shockwave pulse helping to pull spent mixture from the next cylinder in the sequence thus increasing scavenging.  I don't think it's as critical in a turbocharged application because new mixture is coming into the cylinder under pressure at >100% volumetric efficiency.  That and I think you get more gain from keeping the turbocharger as close as possible to the exhaust ports, thus maintaining maximum exhaust temperature and kinetic energy than you do from optimal pulse timing.  At least that's what I would suspect.  *shrug*
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
porting
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 07:04:31 am »
yeah, I thought I should keep it so I did. I did my port on the runners and ring flange. I didn't really take any meat off the runners, just smoothed them out a bit. I did grind away the whole ring flange tho. I'll post pics later.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
porting
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 01:44:14 pm »
pics.

The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

porting
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005, 02:12:42 pm »
looks good! Does anyone know what kind of gains you can recieve from a exhaust manifold porting???. I under stand the flow and everything is increased but any real horse power gains??  :?:
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Offline mike griffin

porting
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2005, 06:51:58 pm »
after mine was done, i noticed a extreme gain. my front end lifted up WAY more than before. But thats mostly because my gasket protector ring had melted/became dislodged, blocking alot exhuast flow to the turbo and wastegate. I g teched my car before and i was making 116hp at the wheels. Disgusting. Now im making 210 on stock boost, and my only upgrade after the porting was my L&R uicp. I dont really trust the g tech though.
why does your car sneeze when you shift?"

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

lotsa mods

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
porting
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 09:16:25 pm »
yeah, I thought I should keep it so I did. I did my port on the runners and ring flange. I didn't really take any meat off the runners, just smoothed them out a bit. I did grind away the whole ring flange tho. I'll post pics later.

Good job! That's looks awesome! Good on you for taking it on yourself, true DSM style :thumbs:

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
porting
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 06:57:52 am »
:oops: stop it, I'm blushing.
The Sleepy Slushbox.