Author Topic: Fuel cut/ Detonation  (Read 544 times)

Offline Bobby Grewal

Fuel cut/ Detonation
« on: January 22, 2005, 02:06:02 pm »
K ive had this problem since I put in the small 16g. I can have WOP past about 5000 rpm without fuel cut/detonation. I have a 3 inch turbo back, intake and vented bov. I took of my boost controller and put it back to stock setting and the problem is still there, can anyone help?

Ps. The problem sound like fuel cut to me and sounds like a gun shot out the exhaust when i hit it. Im not totally sure what the definition of detonation is but my car gets pretty hot and while on the freeway it can creep past halfway point on the temp guage sometimes. Also the boost runs up to like 16 when it cuts out and I dont know how to lower that. The small 16g has a 34 mm flapper too. What to do...
QuAlItY Of LiFe Is DeRiVeD fRoM FrIeNdZ, fAmIlY, AnD oNe'S cApAcItY 2 LoVe ThErE cAr. EvErYtHiNg ElZe Is cLAsSiFiEd sEcOnDaRy

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
Re: Fuel cut/ Detonation
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 03:36:23 pm »
Quote from: "Bobby Grewal"
K ive had this problem since I put in the small 16g. I can have WOP past about 5000 rpm without fuel cut/detonation. I have a 3 inch turbo back, intake and vented bov. I took of my boost controller and put it back to stock setting and the problem is still there, can anyone help?

Ps. The problem sound like fuel cut to me and sounds like a gun shot out the exhaust when i hit it. Im not totally sure what the definition of detonation is but my car gets pretty hot and while on the freeway it can creep past halfway point on the temp guage sometimes. Also the boost runs up to like 16 when it cuts out and I dont know how to lower that. The small 16g has a 34 mm flapper too. What to do...

The small 16G is putting to much air into the motor leaning it out, hence the detonation and backfiring.  You'll have to put the boost controller back on and turn it all the way down so it won't be feeding so much air and running the motor so lean. If that doesn't work, you'll need a smaller wastegate. But the best solution overall would be to get bigger injectors, then you will have enough fuel to feed all the extra air coming into your motor and you wont detonate anymore. Then of course you will need an AFC or some sort of fuel management.

Offline Bobby Grewal

Fuel cut/ Detonation
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 07:54:21 pm »
I tried putting the boost controller and turned it right down but that didnt work, same thing. I thought a big waste gate was better because of boost creep, how does a smaller wastegate help?
QuAlItY Of LiFe Is DeRiVeD fRoM FrIeNdZ, fAmIlY, AnD oNe'S cApAcItY 2 LoVe ThErE cAr. EvErYtHiNg ElZe Is cLAsSiFiEd sEcOnDaRy

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Fuel cut/ Detonation
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 11:13:21 pm »
Get an external WG. Maybe 2.  The big ones.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
Fuel cut/ Detonation
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 02:09:52 am »
Quote from: "Bobby Grewal"
I tried putting the boost controller and turned it right down but that didnt work, same thing. I thought a big waste gate was better because of boost creep, how does a smaller wastegate help?

My bad, I meant bigger.

You could port out the exaust housing too, anything to get the exaust gases to flow out of the turbo easier.

Offline Bobby Grewal

Fuel cut/ Detonation
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 02:15:57 am »
Quote from: "Chris Andrews"
Get an external WG. Maybe 2.  The big ones.

lol, with a small 16? Are you kidding?

Offline Bobby Grewal

Fuel cut/ Detonation
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 02:19:31 am »
Thanks Robin

Offline Ryan Clark

Fuel cut/ Detonation
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 11:06:29 am »
I had the same problem. It was just a boost leak. Mine was on the bottom end of the UICP sleeve.
We took the trans out today, and the front diff broke apart and cracked the case. The front motor mount is also torn right off the subframe... can you say wheel hop?"