Author Topic: Low speed collision damage to bumper?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Bryan Davies

Low speed collision damage to bumper?
« on: February 02, 2005, 01:06:27 am »
Hey guys, if you 2g ppl have any info to offer here, it would be appreciated...

I got smacked today by an Integra... Stopped at a light, she says she couldn't hit her brake pedal, my guess is she was talking on her cell and hit the gas...

In deciding on whether I should take her husband's offer to fix it privately (RISKY) or go ICBC (SAFE), I talked to the husband who said that he would pay to do it privately at his shop. I haven't checked out the place yet and if I get a bad feeling I'll walk, but I also recognize that people do have accidents and reasons to do it privately. I can accomodate these reasons if the work is good.

Damage is minor as she couldn't have been going more than 20-35, but I don't have X-ray specs, and I was hoping that some light could be shed here so I can make my decision. Apart from paint damage where the front bumper hit my rear, it's visibly pushed in along the seam where the bumper meets the rear 1/4 panel, and the bumper isn't  the same amount  of space from my brake lights to the bumper. Any ideas on what could be impacted here, and if it extends any into the car? I know bumpers should take about 20-30 km off of impact damage to a car, but what are the repurcussions for this impact? Also I notice that she had a low bumper compared to mine, and am also wondering IF the exhaust was knocked, is there anywhere I need to check for damage and how far up could this extend. The bumper of her car looks slightly higher than my exhaust tip, but I would like to take a look.

Thanks for your help!

Bryan
y first mod? That's easy - transfer ownership from the bank to me...

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 01:30:43 am »
Like u said it is very very risky. Make sure u call in a claim but don't make an apointment. If this guy dose fix your car perfect if not then u still claimed it and u can still make that apointment to get it fixed. If u don't call in the claim with in 48Hours u r basiclly screwed. I once rear ended a taxi with a customer in the car and i told him that i would fix his car privitely and i had every intension on fixing it but he phone me about 2 weeks later and said "forget about the car just give me a cash settlement" and the customer in the txi also wants money. Right their and then is where i fucked them over cuz i knew after 48 hours they can't do shit and so in conclusion i FUCKED THEM OVER and that could happen to you so make sure u call it in.
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 08:31:31 am »
I would say it's likely your bumper reinforcement is cracked.  It doesn't take too much to damage that.  The crash standard is for 5mph bumper in the states.  That's 8km/h.  20-35km/h can have a lot of force.  Make sure you take the bumper skin off.  The least of your concerns is the paint scuff.

As Darryl suggested, put a claim in.  Remember that even if you do go through ICBC, the guy can still pay for all expenses, and it won't impact their record in anyway.  I would say that doing that would be the safest route.  That happened to me once.  My wife hits a guy's crappy old volvo, does minor damage, we leave our number.  The guy puts a claim into ICBC, and I paid ICBC for the repair costs.  Done.  No impact on my premiums.  Otherwise, if the husband fixes, what if you're not happy with the job?  If there is indeed a timeline on the claim, then you've basically lost your legal avenues for recourse.  

I recommend Starlite autobody if you want work done.  I had my talon taken there after it was stolen and I know the owner is very trustworthy.  604-438-9898.  Tell him I refered you and he'll take care of you.

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 11:07:42 am »
Quote from: "DarrylDhaliwal"
Right their and then is where i fucked them over cuz i knew after 48 hours they can't do shit and so in conclusion i FUCKED THEM OVER and that could happen to you so make sure u call it in.

Claim Thru ICBC would be alot safer and if you do decide to go privetly get an estimate of repair and get  complete amount in cash before any repairs begin

Ad Darryl.....

Orrr my GOD, you arrr a bad bad man

Offline Jon Wong

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 01:42:13 pm »
At least get it checked by icbc, it doesn't mean that you have to get it fixed through them.  Then you'll find out how much damage there really is.  If it turns out to be only $200 in repairs and you feel like being a nice guy, then let the guy fix it privately (i personlly wouln'dt do this)  
Or just as Kimyee said, the guy can pay icbc back.  His discount will then stay the same if he pays it all + deductible back.
7 gsx

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 04:08:04 pm »
Like they said, begin a claim with ICBC. Just so the groundwork is in place.  Then personally I would say if they want to go the non insurance way get a quote from a reputable body shop and have them pay you that much then get the body shop to fix it, otherwise you make a claim.  I wouldn't trust him to fix your car by himself.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Matthew Giene

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 08:42:58 pm »
Quote from: "DarrylDhaliwal"
If u don't call in the claim with in 48Hours u r basiclly screwed.

I am not sure if this is true.  When my girlfriend was in he accident, the people that hit her were on their way to vacation (3 weeks)  They did not call until well after that and ICBC had no issues.

I think the time limit is 6 months or something like that.
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 09:17:20 pm »
From ICBC's site :

"If you've been injured by a Hit and Run driver, you must also report the incident to the police within 48 hours in rural areas of B.C. and within 24 hours in urban areas."

Nothing else relates to a time limit on making a claim, other than it should be made "as soon as reasonably possible".  There was nothing else regarding a time line.

Offline Nathan Friess

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 12:29:02 am »
I believe its a full year that you have to make a claim...thats what the woman said to me at ICBC when I messed up my talon.
5 TSI AWD - a few little things here and there
90 Colt 200gt - 4g63T swap, FMIC, SSQV- SOLD
90 Talon TSI AWD- RIP(I still love you baby)

Steve Girard

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 12:55:32 am »
you have a year to take the money from the claim, and get what ever fixed

you have to claim it right away, i believe its with in 48 hours