Author Topic: 1G Short Shifter  (Read 381 times)

Ivan Skare

1G Short Shifter
« on: January 22, 2005, 01:54:25 am »
Who makes one for us 1990 guys? The 1990 shifter assembly is different than the 91+ dsms. I would really like to purchase a real short shifter IF they make one.

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

1G Short Shifter
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 01:58:50 am »
Rather than a short shifter, you could always modify the linkage arm on the tranny as seen on the good ol VFAQ.com website.  This will shorten the throw of the shifter but be forewarned, it's a lot easier to overtravel with it and bend a shift fork.  Quite a few people have done this mod with success like John Hartman if I recall correctly.  Of course, having a SS shift fork would pretty much guarantee no bent forks.  Other than that, you can get a smaller shift knob.  I made one of mine on a lathe in about 20 minutes (assuming you have access to a lathe).
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Scott Girvin

1G Short Shifter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 02:35:49 am »
I just noticed the other day that SlowBoyRacing has a new Product!! Fidenza 1G short throw shift kits :D

"Finally, a short throw shifter for you 1G guys!

CNC Machined 2024 T3 Aluminum

There are so many short throw shifters on the market, but Fidanza innovation and quality sets them ahead of the pack. Their very unique designs are made from the highest quality aluminums, including the super strong 2024 T3. Three dimensional imaging and machining are used to get the finest profile for fit and functionality. The shorter the throw the quicker you go, and Fidanza innovation of roller bearing enhanced pivot points will get you to the finish line first.

Our Price:

$79.00 "

they should be available threw Kinetic.........Ryan/ Jeremy?

Offline John Hartman

1G Short Shifter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 11:51:01 pm »
not sure if that Fidanza one will work with the 90 tho.

As for the mod to the arm, yea workin fine.  Just don't go crazy.  And look at your shifter under the knob and see if, when you are in gear(especially 2nd and 4th) that there is something that the mechanism will hit to keep it from overextending.  I drilled a hole and tapped it to except a bolt.  this way its even adjustable.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Scott Girvin

1G Short Shifter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 05:33:35 am »
Quote from: "Ivan Skare"

Yea but this does not fit a 1990

I dont know for sure if they work on the '90s , I keep forgetting that I dont have a 90 tranny any more...........they're weak and hard to find bell housings for.